Can a corrector bolus produce hypoglycemia?

magl's profile photo   12/14/2019 2:37 a.m.

Imagine that he applied a corrector bolus to move from 350 to 150 mg/dl., but without associating it with any food.

If that extra bolus causes me hypoglycemia at the time, at 2h.or at 3h, could it be said that the bolus dose is poorly calculated?

magl's profile photo
magl
12/14/2019 2:37 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Indeed, the correction would not be well calculated, you have to take into account all the factors that affect your FSI (insulin sensitivity factor), to my typically I get 50 mg/dl for 1 insulin unit, but that depends on whether and eaten fromBut, or I have played sports, etc ...

fer's profile photo
fer
12/14/2019 7:56 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

It is what I imagined.I tell you:
- Objective after correction: 150 mg/dl
- If 1 UI low 50 mg (I also assumed it)
350-150 = 200;200/50 = 4 IU
350-50-50-50-50 = 150 mg/dl.

I put 4ui, but at 2h, without eating, I reached 50 mg/dl.

Reasoning reverse:
- I put 4 IU
- I lowered 350-50 = 300 mg
- 300/4 = 75 mg

That is, in my case and at that time, 1 UI lowered 75 mg, and with 3 IU, instead of 4, I would have achieved the goal:

350-75-75-75 = 125 mg/dl

- But only 2 hours passed.If the quick insulin effect lasts about 4 hours, it would have needed less than 3 IU.

Conclusion:
- With a bolus of 2, it would have been enough?
I find it hard to believe.
... But hypoglycemia was real.

magl's profile photo
magl
12/14/2019 12:51 p.m.

From what you say, and if I apply it to me, I think 3 would have been the right thing, although it is also true that on another occasion the right thing could be 4, each person is a world.

In my experience, I have no days exactly the same, what is worth and success today, tomorrow is a downturn and vice versa, you have to live with this, the best possible!;)

fer's profile photo
fer
12/14/2019 1:48 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

It is better to fall short.and repeat if necessary.
There are many variables ...

Regina's profile photo
Regina
12/14/2019 7:42 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

You are right, I have spent my life with glycemic ups and downs due to erroneous corrective measures, and using the highest insulin doses than necessary.

That is why I want to learn how to use the corrective measures well, to avoid that after a descent it will rise to me or that after a climb I get off.

It is true, there are times that I do not find a logical explanation to the controls obtained, as many will have happened to them, but if I can control those that are fixed logically, I am satisfied.

magl's profile photo
magl
12/14/2019 10:21 p.m.

If diabetes were that easy because we would have half of the problems.As a general rule, 1u less in the morning than in the afternoon and even less than at night.Your sensitivity factor changes a lot.

If today at 350 you drop to 150 but tomorrow to 350 it turns out that you have a super stressed morning (liberas cortisol and make you upload the blood sugar) because you stay in 200 longs.Or maybe it is tomorrow to clean the house thoroughly and in time and peak you are in hypoglycemia.

Maybe yesterday you exercised and each unit does more, not every day the same amount of slow is needed (although we tend to ignore this fact and put the "amount of always").Come on, if tomorrow you are going on a trip and it is day of preparing suitcases, children, etc., you may need slower to compensate for cortisol and the next day when you are already on the site resting, you need less than usual.

In summary, 100,000 different variables and as Fer says, you have to live with this as well as possible.

Foxandxss's profile photo
Foxandxss
12/15/2019 10:01 a.m.

It's true, he spent 40 years with diabetes and I know what you talk about.
I learn to dose insulin depending on carbohydrates that, how, to apply corrective bowling when necessary, etc;And one thing I have clear, I can always improve.

magl's profile photo
magl
12/15/2019 11:54 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.