{'en': 'New Year purposes and how to fulfill them ... How to apply to diabetes?', 'es': 'Propósitos de Año Nuevo y cómo cumplirlos... ¿cómo aplicar a la diabetes?'} Image

New Year purposes and how to fulfill them ... How to apply to diabetes?

fer's profile photo   01/02/2020 12:48 p.m.

The New Year's purposes are the perfect opportunity for all those who have not begun to make the changes they said they would do next week, next month or when San Juan agache the finger (as they would say in my town).

The question is .... What are your purposes for the New Year in relation to diabetes?

Why do we stop fulfilling our New Year's purposes and what can we do about it

Statistics (sadly) show that only 9.2% of people come to fulfill their New Year's purposes.The worst, is that many of those who do not fulfill them, end up feeling worse than they felt before changing life.

One of the greatest mistakes we usually commit, is to want to become almost perfect beings for the new year.We sit down to reflect on everything that may be wrong in our lives and make endless lists of all the things we need to improve/change.

Have money, lower 20 pounds, read more, turn the world, take an online cooking course, quit and get to know the love of my life.(Eye: All by the end of March).

It may be exaggerating a little, but to the point I want to get there is that we tend to create huge expectations;wanting to do everything at once and drawing goals that are not realistic at all.The worst, is that seeing that we fail to fulfill even one, we feel like a total failure and we started the new year with the left foot.

Things to consider before choosing a new year resolution

It is not possible to change overnight.Remember that you have years and years of following certain habits and saying that as of January 1 you will make a radical change, it is not realistic.

This does not mean that proposing these changes is not a good thing, on the contrary, there is always room for improvements;Especially if this will make you happier and healthier.And I just mentioned the key to everything, it is not about creating a new "me", but of improving the existing "I", of working on what has already begun and doing it little by little.

I return and emphasize, achieve real change, take time and a lot of effort.It is said that the human being takes more than 21 days to create a new habit and about 66 days, break an old one.

Which suggests that it will take a minimum of 3 months to stop eating that hot and fluffy bread in the morning and replace it with, I don't know, a kiwi or something.

How to choose and fulfill a purpose for this new year

Behavioral psychology studies teach us, that to create a new habit, these 3 rules must be followed:

Small actions: say that we are going to "feed better" or "exercise more" are very broad and difficult concepts.The ideal would be to bring small to which we can follow up: walk 15 minutes every afternoon and just eat out of home twice a month, for example, they are actions that we could strive to fulfill every day until they become a habit.

ADDITIONAL ACTIONS: Once you have created a habit of your first goal, you must add an additional action to it.If you just eat away from home 2 times a month, you can now decide to add a vegetable or fruit to each meal at home, for example.

Easy actions: this is key.All new actions you decide to take, should be easy to comply to prevent you from leaving everything halfway.If you choose something that is easy for you to achieve, you will keep it and after a few repetitions, it will be a new habit.

Checking your progress frequently will help you stay focused and committed, but remember that it is a race and there should be no deadline.Progress is progress, even if obtaining it costs you more time than you thought initially.

It doesn't matter if you fail one day, continue the next day andHe who follows him, until you program your brain and become something he does without even thinking about it.

Resolution ideas for New Year

• Change my dress style
  • Take less liquor or stop taking it
  • Start saving
  • Learn a new language
  • Acquire a new hobby
  • Have a pet
  • Travel more
  • Learn to cook
  • Comply with all medical visits
  • Be more punctual
  • Start a business
  • Forget my ex
  • Be more responsible
  • Be more social
  • Explore your creativity
  • Face your fears
  • Write a newspaper
  • Lose weight
  • Eat less and healthier
  • Exercise
  • Be more productive
  • meet new people
  • Ear more money
  • Reduce stress
  • Stop smoking
  • Rest more/better
  • See less television
  • Read more
  • Find a partner
  • Be more organized
  • Have better sex
  • Spend more time with the family

fer's profile photo
fer
01/02/2020 12:48 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.