{'en': 'Glucogen', 'es': 'Glucogeno'} Image

Glucogen

AlbertCF's profile photo   11/27/2018 12:38 p.m.

Hello!

I have doubts about how glycogen works in a diabetic.

From what I have read, glycogen is a kind of glucose, stored in the liver, this release, by the liver, needs glucose levels to be low or independent of glucose?

I have always had the idea, that when you do sports, the glucose burns and then the glycogen begins.

What if it is true, as can happen in a diabetic without having a hiccup?

Forgive if I am putting the leg, but I think I have to learn.

Thank you so much!!

AlbertCF's profile photo
AlbertCF
11/27/2018 12:38 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Well, I do not know how to tell you much, because on the one hand the glucose of the liver passes to the blood at all times and that is why it takes slow., But, on the other, the glycogen needs glucagon to release glucose, and the type1 also does not produce glucagon.
So I don't know how it works.
Let's see if someone clarifies.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
11/27/2018 5:51 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

To understand it well, it is necessary to know a lot about the metabolism of the carbohydrates and I do not know so much but I tell you a little above.If you are interested in the topic you can look for more information that explains it in depth.
There are a few hormones that include and some believe that hormones also occur in the intestine and encourage the production of insulin or glucagon.
Glucagon and insulin occur in the pancreas.Insulin in beta and glucagon cells in alpha.The DT1 do not have beta but if alpha so we can produce glucagon but not having well controlled insulin, glucagon production does not work as it should because as it said it are regulated between them in addition to blood glucose levels.When you eat insulin increases because it increases glucose and other hormones that occur in the intestine and glucagon decreases and when you do not eat the other way around.The problem is that if the insulin is high the glucagon does not occur, so in DT1 before a low glucose decrease there is no glucagon, because there is an insulin present that is what causes the descent.
Glucagon releases liver glycogen.We also have glycogen in the muscle that the body uses in the face of anaerobic efforts, very short and very intense exercises such as weight exercise.For this I think insulin is not necessary but I am not 100% safe.I read it a long time ago I don't remember.

Yessica_A's profile photo
Yessica_A
11/28/2018 8:17 a.m.

DM1 desde 2003 | Toujeo + Humalog | FreeStyle 2 | HbA1c 5.5

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.