{'en': 'Alejandro Samper "The Diabetic Spartan"', 'es': 'Alejandro Samper "El espartano diabético"'} Image

Alejandro Samper "The Diabetic Spartan"

fer's profile photo   06/09/2020 7:13 p.m.

Alejandro Samper "debuted" at age 13.This is what diabetics call that moment when they are diagnosed with a chronic disease that will change their existence.

Despite the doctor's pious lie before informing him: "Your life will be the same, don't worry."

"It is at that time that you begin to worry," says this Valencian that, however, over time he has learned that his ailment has given him more than he has taken: "In the long term, my way of life hasIt could become better.

Although it limits you, you value things and control the food and what you need to be fine.The negative must be to be managed ».

Natural de Sagunto, Alejandro Samper is a born athlete.«I've always done something.I spent many years playing football, I arrived in preferential.I also spent time to Futvoley and traveled with the selection in Dubai, in Brazil ... », says Alejandro Samper.Diabetes came a good day when he began to feel tired: «You have the feeling of being playing with sleep.You drink a lot of water and urine, I even vomited ».

The tests confirmed the diagnosis, but the Valencian did not abandon the sport.On the contrary: "It helps control glycemia levels."He likes to overcome obstacles."When I am not quite at ease, I leave the circle of comfort," he says as a philosophy of life that he has applied in other areas such as work.Maybe that's why he was predestined to be Spartan.

At 29, he decided that football had already contributed everything.He launched to try other modalities."I wanted to seek individual performance," he says: "I was doing duathlon, triathlon, trail ...».Until in 2014 his wife gave him the registration for Spartan Race in Barcelona: «He had not trained it and did not know what awaited me.Obstacles, improvisation ... that captivated me.I knew it was what I wanted to do.

And there it continues, competing in the Spartan Race, where a good handful of victories accumulates."It is increasingly complicated, fortunately the level in Spain is raising a barbarity," says Alejandro Samper.He competes to be at the top and ensures that diabetes does not condition him.It must be monitored and that is something that also trains.

"Being diabetic conditions you more when you are looking for maximum performance and want to put your body to the limit," specifies.In that sense, technology helps you control, in addition to the sensations you have learned.Alejandro Samper points out that the most dangerous is a sugar climb.«It happens rarely, but in that case you give up the brand.You walk, water, you click insulin ... », lists.The last time it happened was at the last World Cup in Spartan, in Greece: "I did all that and in the middle of the race I could already give everything."A downturn can be better managed, with some rapid absorption supplement or a banana.

He will turn 37 in August and this 2020 had raised it to aspire to the maximum."Fight to be among the best, which I say is increasingly difficult," he says.He had put himself in the hands of Rubén Úbeda, from Vital Train."A lower carbohydrate diet is good for me, for example, I punish me less insulin," says Alejandro Samper.

The alarm has altered their plans, the races are crowded since September, and wait for the calendar to be redesigned to define its objectives."I have taken it badly," he admits, although the diabetic Spartan has applied his philosophy to overcome this new obstacle: "It has served to cure injuries and value what life gives us, things as simple as being able to go training."

fer's profile photo
fer
06/09/2020 7:13 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.