My dad is firefighter and diabetic

paownosecuanto's profile photo   06/23/2020 2:34 p.m.

Hello my name is Paola, a couple of weeks ago my father began to inject due to diabetes, the insulin is administered that at 30 min is followed by breakfast, just that.
My question is that he is a firefighter and sometimes he is not at home at certain times, if he usually injects at 8 a.m.But for some fire it is not at that time, is there any problem that is injected later?How much can you delay it?Should it always be at the same time?

He was attentive to his answers, we still don't understand the subject very well, so he would appreciate his help: confused:

paownosecuanto's profile photo
paownosecuanto
06/23/2020 2:34 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

@Pawnoseconto

Hi Paola, it would be good to know if your father has type I diabetes (that is, simply his pancreas does not generate insulin) or type II (generates insulin but has resistance to assimilate it).They are different.Type I require rapid insulin in all meals.And we combine it slowly once a day.We run risk of hypoglycemia Q in your father's case, firefighter, could be very dangerous.Type II often take pills and some require insulin, some slow once and others quickly in meals.The majority is type II, which sometimes with a good diet low in carbohydrates and exercise can be controlled a lot.

So you say the sensation q is type II and only slow insulin in the morning.Maybe some pill takes.In that case, the change of schedule is not very serious, although it is highly recommended to put the insulin always at the same time.The important thing is that hair controls of glycemia be done regularly.And that you control carbohydrates.A course of a nutritionist would be very good.

If it is a fast insulin, it is mandatory to put it before each meal, otherwise it would have hyperglycemia for a good time.It is not that he can die but his vital organs, his eyes, his neurons, his liver, his kidneys will suffer from excess sugar.Let's say that kills slowly.

All the best

jldiazdel's profile photo
jldiazdel
06/23/2020 6:41 p.m.

DM1 desde Marzo 2018 (53 años). 7-10 unidades basal: Abasaglar (insulina glargina). NovoRapid. Factor 1.0/1.5.
Vivo en Alemania. CarboH total dia 70-80 gr. Deporte Gym todos dias L-V 1h-2 h
HbA1c 5,5% (Abril 2022)
Dexcom G6

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.