No strips in the pharmacy for non -manufacturing ?? !!

NUBIA's profile photo   03/07/2020 11:26 p.m.

Good night,

I started with diabetes in November last year for a duodenopancreotomy.That is, my life depends on insulin and measuring glycemia, because it does not gender anything of insulin.
Well, nothing, with those I am, trying to get used to buying the supplies on a regular basis, so as not to run out of them.On 2 times, with the strips I am failing in the planning, because the measurements suddenly have to make them more often, for some hypo or hyper, they spend, and I am fair hurrying the acquisition.Today that happened to me, and I had to go to the pharmacy on guard.
What the pharmacist answered me left me amazed.That I had no strips, that in the pharmacy cooperative they either had them, because the laboratory did not manufacture them already ... I thought I had understood it badly, I knew that in the emergency department of the health center they would give me, but it was amazing thatWith a chronic disease no one would have notified me enough.
He also suggests that the solution is that he goes to emergencies, and that the marriage prescribes another glucometer, and in the pharmacy they give it to the corresponding strips.I freaked out.

I don't know if this is happening at the state level, I live in the Canary Islands.Neither from the hospital, nor the header, nobody warns of this?It seems as they tell me in the emergency room, which usually happens !!, that glucometers change from time to time, leaving without strips the health and pharmacies centers.
On Monday I will call the Diabetes Association to inform me, because it is unheard of.Does it happen in other places?What is prevention to avoid being like this?The glucometer is free style optium neo.

NUBIA's profile photo
NUBIA
03/07/2020 11:26 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

I buy Amazon strips, in my health center and do not even give Opium, they have changed brand to a worse.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
03/07/2020 11:34 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

I also have that glucometer and I have always bought the strips online.The last ones a couple of months ago.
Anyway, the other day I went to my health center for those of the glucometer that have supplied me now and also had the Opium neo: I saw several in the showcase.

anif's profile photo
anif
03/08/2020 12:05 a.m.

DM2 (2019)

Thank you very much for the information.What worries me is that if it is a supply that I must use chronic and frequently, and that is subsidized by the public health system, you must pay it apart by buying it and paying 100%.I am not for that economically but it seems unheard of that they do not notice in advance, something that is stopped manufactured must be replaced with forecast.I have written to Abbot to ask for information about the situation.

@Ruthbia What brand is the new one and what problems has to be worse?

NUBIA's profile photo
NUBIA
03/08/2020 12:19 a.m.

They have not retired the strips @nubia, is that the SS has finished contract with Abbott and have given it to other laboratories.
They have given me an Aero glucometer I do not know that, that it needs a fougher drop of blood and has a worse sensitivity.
I am waiting for me to finance the free that I have been paying for my pocket for 4 years.
I have always used Abbott and I removed the strips in November.I get some of them, thanks to my nurse, because they are now for exclusive use for nurses, patients give us the worst.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
03/08/2020 1:45 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

@Ruthbia forgives if I'm wrong, but it sounds to me to have lived in Madrid.
I have recently given me the Onetouch Select Plus (in La Paz) and in my health center the strips I have seen are for this, for the Opium neo and for one that comes in a gray box that I do not remember name ...
I do not understand that in the same community it is different according to the health center ...

anif's profile photo
anif
03/08/2020 9:19 a.m.

DM2 (2019)

I buy the strips per eBay and I get much cheaper and buy them for quantities

DiegoA's profile photo
DiegoA
03/08/2020 12:51 p.m.

@Diegoa yes, thanks for the information, I know for what I have read that there are other ways to buy them, but before the € 0 which is what the strips in the pharmacy currently cost me, or directly if they give them to me in the centerHealth, because he is subsidized by the health service, any other option seems to me face.
According to what I live within this disease, I prefer that the public system stable and safely my needs for enzymes, insulin, measurements, etc., because my life depends on whether the shipment comes in time, or in customs they will stop it orTo spend money that I do not have, and have the perspective that I will have to do it all my life, it already generates anxiety.

@Ruthbia thanks for the information.If the SS ends a contract and is awarded to another brand, do they notice you in advance?On the other hand, I am then surprised by the response of the pharmacist, I will ask him on Monday because he told me that they no longer manufactured them.How strange everything, until one gets used to b)

NUBIA's profile photo
NUBIA
03/08/2020 1:49 p.m.

@Nubia no, no, the SS does not warn you, they give you another glucometer and its corresponding strips.

@anif Yes, in Madrid but my health center does not have ABBOTT products only for internal cosumo, I buy Opium on the Internet and the few that my nurse gets to give me occasionally.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
03/13/2020 11:42 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.