{'en': 'Worried beginner', 'es': 'Principiante preocupado'} Image

Worried beginner

Rafaeleliasalbiach's profile photo   03/30/2020 11:48 a.m.

Hello.

I am 74 years old, type 2 diabetes for about fifteen years and I was medicating with pills until about fifteen days I had to start injecting insulin.

I inject toujeo slowly once a day controlling according to the indications of the family doctor once a day in the morning.

I started having 250, injecting 10 units and increasing 2 units every three days if I did not get 100 or 140.

After about fifteen days I am practically oscillating between 180 and 200 so I do not see any advance and being that I am currently injecting 24 units.

I am a little worried.Is this normal?

With the current situation it is a bit complicated to access the nurse or family doctor.

Thank you!

Rafaeleliasalbiach's profile photo
Rafaeleliasalbiach
03/30/2020 11:48 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

@Rafaeleliasalbiach, glycemia after meals (2 hours) better below 200. It also depends a lot on glycemia when rising.
The correct amount of insulin is what is needed to maintain those glycemia.Don't worry.And yes, the stress rises a lot the glycemia.

solaria's profile photo
solaria
03/30/2020 1 p.m.

Debut 46 â- 2012. DM1. Celiaquía e intolerancia lactosa. Anemia perniciosa.
MiniMed 640g + SmartGuard.

Hi Rafael
I am some years younger than you, but I have this more than 30. I am from the beginning of the insulin.I think you are doing well.If after continuing to raise any more doses in your slow insulin, you do not get a more acceptable basal, maybe it is time to use fast insulin.But I think your goal is now clear: the basal.You will have time to take care of the postprandials (after meals).

All the best.

Sorprendido's profile photo
Sorprendido
03/31/2020 10:38 a.m.

Desde 1984 diabético tipo 1
Tresiba al mediodía , Apidra en las comidas.
Glicosiladas alrededor de 6,5 %
"Feliz aquel que reconoce a tiempo que sus deseos no están de acuerdo con sus posibilidades "
Goethe

Thank you very much to everyone ... Let's see if I can at the time communicate that I control it more or less !!!

Rafaeleliasalbiach
03/31/2020 10:57 a.m.

@Rafaeleliasalbiach

In addition to continuing to try with the basal, it tries not to abuse the bread -type carbohydrates, cookies, juices, potatoes, rice.Change them by vegetables.That can help you a lot.And I know that it is difficult these days, but move around the house, make some exercises regularly.Good food more sport can help you down that glucose in blood.

If after a few weeks you continue with those values, I think you would have to go to the endocrine because you would not have to use fast insulin.

But before you have to try to avoid it by reducing carbohydrates and increasing the exercise, although it is not easy.

All the best

jldiazdel's profile photo
jldiazdel
04/03/2020 7:14 p.m.

DM1 desde Marzo 2018 (53 años). 7-10 unidades basal: Abasaglar (insulina glargina). NovoRapid. Factor 1.0/1.5.
Vivo en Alemania. CarboH total dia 70-80 gr. Deporte Gym todos dias L-V 1h-2 h
HbA1c 5,5% (Abril 2022)
Dexcom G6

I teo 76 years, and just like you, I am of type 2.
Until 4 years ago I controlled the family doctor, I only took Pastllas, the time came that before breakfast reached 200.
I was lucky to change my family doctor (for retirement) and unlike the previous one sent me to the indocrine.
The indocrine after making me the corresponding analixis and seeing that with the pills it was not possible to get out of 160 before breakfast sent me to inject 12 units of toujeo and since then I control it perfectly.
Before breakfast I usually have between 80 and 110 and when I do the full day control it is the time after 2 hours of any of the meals passed 160.
For me, physical exercise has been very important apart from food, walking 1 hour in the morning and another in the afternoon, at least.
And now with confinction, I suppose it with the cycle.
I am a bad editor, forgive if I have explained badly.
All the best.

PEPE's profile photo
PEPE
04/05/2020 11:13 a.m.

I wanted to say endocrine

PEPE's profile photo
PEPE
04/05/2020 11:15 a.m.

Thank you very much Pepe for your advice.Currently (about 5 or 6 days) I have managed to have between 100 and 140 on an empty stomach that are the figures that both the doctor and nursing gave me as a finish line. However, injecting me 24 units.I have contacted my follow -up nurse and it tells me that at the moment I am on the right path.Thanks again.

Rafaeleliasalbiach
04/05/2020 1:28 p.m.

I continue with 12 units I started that I started injecting 4 years ago.
All the best

PEPE's profile photo
PEPE
04/05/2020 1:48 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.