{'en': 'Relationship between exercise and insulin in DT1', 'es': 'Relación entre  ejercicio  e  insulina en DT1'} Image

Relationship between exercise and insulin in DT1

Malenuka's profile photo   04/23/2020 12:39 p.m.

Hello,

I have a very stupid question but I know little about this topic and less of type 1 diabetes.

Can exercise replace insulin?

I don't know if there is a relationship between exercise and insulin, or are two different mechanisms to lower blood glucose.

I know that if you exercise the glucose but I do not know if it is necessary to intervene insulin, so a diabetic 1 although exercising will have to put insulin.

My mother is DT2 without putting insulin and if she has walked before a meal or if after a meal there is a turn, her glucose levels are more controlled, but I do not know if the same would happen in a D1 without using insulin.

Thank you so much!

Malenuka's profile photo
Malenuka
04/23/2020 12:39 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Malenuka, the mechanism of which type 1 diabetes is produced, is different from type 2. In type 1, the pancreas does not produce insulin, nothing, zero, so you have to put it externally (the causeIt is autoimmune, that is, antibodies that go against the pancreas are produced, and that can be triggered by a virus or any other situation).They are usually thin and young people.In type 2 diabetes, at least at the beginning, there is insulin, only by obesity (normally) or other circumstances, there is insulin resistance.
That is why it may be that a start diabetes can be controlled with diet and exercise only, although it is already increasingly advocated by oral treatment from the beginning.But in a type 1 diabetes, exercise is a complement, a basic leg for treatment, together with insulin and food.It favors glucose entry, decreases the risk of other pathologies or complications, reduces tension, cholesterol etc, but never replaces insulin because there is no in the body.

meginer's profile photo
meginer
04/23/2020 12:56 p.m.

I understand the differences between one diabetes, but my question is whether in the exercise there must be insulin in the body so that there is a decrease in glucose, if insulin acts in something or what is a mechanism by which during the exercise glymiadecreases ... the same is more complex than I thought

Malenuka's profile photo
Malenuka
04/23/2020 1:57 p.m.

@Malenuka

If I have put insulin and exercise, I multiply the action of insulin and give me hypoglycemia.I would have to compensate with many carbohydrates.But that is in my case.That is why I never do sports until after 3 hours of having put insulin.I have already had some very unpleasant experiences.

In general, exercise reduces insulin resistance and enhances its effectiveness.I think @meginer's explanation is excellent.

jldiazdel's profile photo
jldiazdel
04/23/2020 7:33 p.m.

DM1 desde Marzo 2018 (53 años). 7-10 unidades basal: Abasaglar (insulina glargina). NovoRapid. Factor 1.0/1.5.
Vivo en Alemania. CarboH total dia 70-80 gr. Deporte Gym todos dias L-V 1h-2 h
HbA1c 5,5% (Abril 2022)
Dexcom G6

Thank you!!Online I have already found the answer to my questions!The exercise decreases the glucose in two ways, one in which the insulin available circulating is involved by increasing its sensitivity and the other mechanism totally separated from the insulin by which the muscle captures glucose as a source of energy or there is no insulin in thebody.This was what I meant, thank you very much for answering and for your experiences !!

Malenuka's profile photo
Malenuka
04/23/2020 11:21 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.