Diabetes and ferritin

Carmen89's profile photo   04/23/2020 1:56 p.m.

Hello guys, my partner has type 1 diabetes and last year it came out in an analytics that had the very high ferritin (more than 1100).In the doctor they told him that it would probably be because he had taken a virus or a strong cold and ferritin usually rises with infections.The day before the analytics were also put on the flu vaccine and the doctor told us that as vaccines have viruses, it may be for that.
A few months later the analytics was repeated and the ferritin had already lowered him and was stabilized.So far everything is fine.
My concern is for the issue of Coronavirus: when people get the ferritin by inflammation with the virus and doctors are using it as a marker to know if the patient is going to be serious.In fact, just for values ​​above 1000 patients with Coronavirus have it difficult to survive.That is why I am worried if my partner catches it and gets very serious.
Has it happened to you that the ferritin has uploaded a lot to put a vaccine, flu or take a virus?I don't know if diabetics have a tendency to raise them a lot with infections and that's why it's worrying ... we would like to ask a doctor but it is better not to go to a health center for how the situation is
Thanks and greetings :)

Carmen89's profile photo
Carmen89
04/23/2020 1:56 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

High ferritin does not necessarily have to be linked only to an infection, people with fatty liver problems, for example, have high ferritin.
Apart from this, in my case that I also have type I diabetes, I usually have it low.All the best.

nigiri's profile photo
nigiri
04/23/2020 4:01 p.m.

DM1 desde 1990 - Fiasp y Toujeo - HG: 6,1

@Carmen89

Very complex topic!

I have the high ferritin inheritance.That is called hemochromatosis.You can do a genetic test.There are many people with the high ferritin who do not know and that crushes the liver over the years.The only way to lower it is very simple: blood bloody.Extract blood regularly and replenish with serum.It is simple.

High ferritin is just an indicator (and not always) of infections / cancer / etc.Indicates that something is wrong (it's like fever) although there are doctors who don't look at her.But the best thing is in blood analytics Look at how the defensive system is.There are markers for that, better than ferritin.But it is recommended in blood analytics to ask for it unfortunately many doctors forget it.

You don't have to see anything with diabetes!

jldiazdel's profile photo
jldiazdel
04/23/2020 7:44 p.m.

DM1 desde Marzo 2018 (53 años). 7-10 unidades basal: Abasaglar (insulina glargina). NovoRapid. Factor 1.0/1.5.
Vivo en Alemania. CarboH total dia 70-80 gr. Deporte Gym todos dias L-V 1h-2 h
HbA1c 5,5% (Abril 2022)
Dexcom G6

But that I know, with the coronavirus it has nothing to do with ferritin, it is the dimero of which gives bad forecast if it goes up a lot because thrombotic alterations are being seen as well.

meginer's profile photo
meginer
04/24/2020 12:45 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

I am type 1 diabetics with the high ferritin, each analytics a little more.
The endocrine does not give importance when I mention it;The last time he told me that later they could do a detailed study because there is an autoimmune disease that destroys ferritin consumption and that is why it accumulates in blood and comes out in the analytics.

But I already tell you that it didn't give it more importance.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
04/30/2020 10:26 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

@Ruthbia

It depends on how this.The limit is 400 UG/L.It is also important to look at the degree of saturation of the ferritin (Max 45%).Look at it in the analytics.

If it is high, systematically with a simple blood bloody of 400 ml of blood regularly down.And it helps you control diabetes.According to my hematologist everything is related yet they still have not proven it.Do not stop looking as it is.Can affect you to the long -term liver

All the best

jldiazdel's profile photo
jldiazdel
05/01/2020 7:34 p.m.

DM1 desde Marzo 2018 (53 años). 7-10 unidades basal: Abasaglar (insulina glargina). NovoRapid. Factor 1.0/1.5.
Vivo en Alemania. CarboH total dia 70-80 gr. Deporte Gym todos dias L-V 1h-2 h
HbA1c 5,5% (Abril 2022)
Dexcom G6

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.