Insulin in great events

evabueno's profile photo   05/01/2020 10:52 a.m.

Good morning!I have been diabetic for 4 months and still did not control the issue of food-insulin units very well.I usually click on the same and eat the rations that correspond to me, but a time comes that I have to go to weddings, baptisms, etc ... where although they tell you a menu of what you are going to eat, you really can't knowWhat it carries and from the first course to the last one equals 3 hours.How is insulin administered like this?And already the issue of the initial cocktails, the solution that I can think of is not to eat them, because it seems impossible to tell rations, between drink every time the waiters pass, bad memory, in the end you do not know what you have eaten.How have you done it?Thank you so much.

evabueno's profile photo
evabueno
05/01/2020 10:52 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

You can put 70% of the dose of insulin that estimates just before the first dish;And then (three hours later, according to your example), you put the remaining 30% of insulin (or the necessary amount according to the calculation, exact, performed -container of rations -).

mamarvazq's profile photo
mamarvazq
05/01/2020 1:05 p.m.

You have to find out your insulin/ration ratio, the amount of insulin you have to put with each ration of hydrates you eat.I do not know if you already know, if it is not easy, look how insulin you use in the food and how many rations of hydrates and make a rule of 3. Once done this touches you the most difficult to go out to eat outside, calculate the rations toEye, Roche has this table Link = AOVVAW3T7HDHULQNW_HNTH3KO with photos of how many rationsOf each dish, in case you can guide you more or less, although it is a lottery.
If you think the food is going to last more than the effect of insulin, which can give you hypoglycemia in the middle or a hyper later and taking into account that then in those events you usually dance a bit moving and such I would not put everythingThe insulin suddenThen you want to have to eat for hypoglycemia.And if after all you have been wrong in the measurements, time, etc. It is time to correct taking into account your insulin sensitivity factor, and correct the times that are needed until it is again in Normoglycemia, this is obviously much easier ifYou wear a sensor and you can see how things are.

I would not dispense with the còctel or anything if I simply feel like it, if you do not want to go from hydrates, decide how many rations you want to drink/eat and put on that insulin and when you should no longer eat or drink checker.

Remember very important: alcohol can make hypo 4 to 12 hours after drinking it, the more you drink the more hypo you can do (if you eat a lot and with normal fats it does not usually happen, but you always have to monitor it) and the hypos for drinking are difficult areBecause you can't use glucagon since the liver is busy with alcohol.
So keep this into account and if you have to go to bed a little better so.

In short, my advice is that if you calculate badIf that day your sugar is a roller coaster, as long as it does not affect you much physically, nothing happens either.If I look back at events, adventures, days of trips without stopping, party days drinking alcohol, weddings ... I do not remember how I had sugar, or how many times I prick insulin or I did a control, orOf absolutely nothing related to diabetes, I only remember the girls experiences that I shared and lived that day.So that is the important thing, (obviously do not leave a 300 hyper all day and be careful with hypoglycemia) but beyond this, nothing happens for a revolted sugar day or different controls.

Macarena93's profile photo
Macarena93
05/01/2020 1:53 p.m.

Thank you so much!

evabueno's profile photo
evabueno
05/01/2020 4:27 p.m.

@evabueno

The chances of putting the leg are very high.I think almost certain.

So the best thing is that as they have told you you do controls and enjoy.That if tries to avoid hypos.They are very unpleasant especially in events and people!So calculate under carbohydrates and get blood glucose controls every 2 - 3 hours and put corrections.But avoid hypos.

jldiazdel's profile photo
jldiazdel
05/01/2020 9:22 p.m.

DM1 desde Marzo 2018 (53 años). 7-10 unidades basal: Abasaglar (insulina glargina). NovoRapid. Factor 1.0/1.5.
Vivo en Alemania. CarboH total dia 70-80 gr. Deporte Gym todos dias L-V 1h-2 h
HbA1c 5,5% (Abril 2022)
Dexcom G6

Thank you so much!The truth is that you are helping me a lot.

evabueno's profile photo
evabueno
05/02/2020 12:27 a.m.

You have to keep in mind that such a day you will not have the sugar at bay.

As you say a meal of these can last 3h.What I do and as they tell you are several controls and for example I usually put the insulin in the middle of the food and at least I make sure not to be in hiccup.

I would never recommend putting it before the food arrives, the waiters can be delayed ... bring entrants without hydrates etc .... The same applies to eating in a bar and is full and serve you at the time.

The important thing is to have an acceptable average control.Greetings!

marine's profile photo
marine
05/02/2020 11:18 a.m.

It's true !That is a good point.

In restaurants, insulin should be put on when you see the food on the table.It allows you to really see the amount of food that has and carbohydrates and avoid surprises.They can take more than you think.

If the food is also high in proteins and fats better to put the insulin in the middle or even distribute it and put some unit at the end.

jldiazdel's profile photo
jldiazdel
05/02/2020 11:44 a.m.

DM1 desde Marzo 2018 (53 años). 7-10 unidades basal: Abasaglar (insulina glargina). NovoRapid. Factor 1.0/1.5.
Vivo en Alemania. CarboH total dia 70-80 gr. Deporte Gym todos dias L-V 1h-2 h
HbA1c 5,5% (Abril 2022)
Dexcom G6

Indeed, I do not put the insulin as I see the plate on the table, to calculate more or less by eye, and if I have to do a little waiting then I endure and do it looking at the plate with a face of sorrow haha ​​haha

Macarena93's profile photo
Macarena93
05/02/2020 6:58 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.