Take or not to take the metformin in prediabetes or diabetes that it sends

yoan's profile photo   08/30/2020 1:43 a.m.

Hello, my case is commented.
About 6 years ago I have been having episodes as a diabetes debut, the entire clinical picture, except the values ​​of glucose, but in 2015 I did an oral tolerance test and gave me positive, in 241;However, since that year all the time I control the levels in pre and post overview and the posts and the pre -sometimes in normal range and others in the range of prediabetes are always normal.Glycociliad hemoglobin is made two and three times a year, and it has always been below 5. I have never taken anything, except for that year 2015 that the doctor of my work told me that I would take metformin and the truth was a fatigueOr downturn behind the other, until I stopped taking it and I recovered alone, from there they spend months without any problem but I have had about three similar crises in these 6 years, which begin with a downturn and hence all the symptoms of diabetes,I associated it with times of lack of control in my diet (ceno quite at night and too late and a lot of rice).But from those crises I have left, without medications.I have not repeated that tolerance test.But I have always left that whether I am diabetic x that result although my glycocilated hemoglobin has always been below 5 in several laboratories that I have done.I had the last crisis of this type two months ago, like a low, (when I measured it in 81, which is not stricta week, urinating constant, thirst, weakness, etc).The analytics in that scenario was basal glucose in 113, glycosilada 4.7, peptide C well, insulin well, hello well, etc.

From those symptoms I came out again, but the endocrine told me that I had to take metformin, half a pill once a day at dinner.I have not done it for fear of hypoglycemia and the harmful effects of any chronic treatment.But three days ago my basal glucose is very high, 124;124 and today 122. And I am doing enough exercises, and draw the rice of the dinners.

Excuse so much explanation, but hey, is anyone recognized in this situation?It is possible to make debuts several times of diabetes or is they crisis in which it manifests and then refers to only?I can talk about diabetes when the glucosilada is always x below 5 and my home measurements give me something high in fasting but in postpandry always x under the prediabetes range?Do you advise me to take metformin or try with strong exercises and diet?

Well greetings to all.

yoan's profile photo
yoan
08/30/2020 1:43 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hi Yoan,
You may have an unusual glucose climb and that you also have assimilable symptoms, but you are not a diabetic person of type 1. if the doctor has prescribed metformin is that you have a tendency to have high glucose, but valuesWhat do you should not worry at all.

Vampa's profile photo
Vampa
08/30/2020 10:58 a.m.

@yoan

I think you trust your endocrine and do what tells you or change endocrine.You can try to follow your indications for a while and with controls really check if they give you hypoglycemia, and also see how your values ​​vary.

If you do not even try it, each one is free, I would really change endocrine and ask for a complete blood analytics to determine if I have diabetes 2, or stray or something different.

The truth is that if you have an HBA1C below 5 and the peptic C well, I do not see diabetes samples.You may occasionally have a little insulin resistance, but mild, and q with good nutrition and exercise are attenuated.Each body is a world.

In any case, I would reduce rapid action carbohydrates type bread, rice, pasta and potatoes.You can change them for vegetables.

All the best

jldiazdel's profile photo
jldiazdel
08/30/2020 1:42 p.m.

DM1 desde Marzo 2018 (53 años). 7-10 unidades basal: Abasaglar (insulina glargina). NovoRapid. Factor 1.0/1.5.
Vivo en Alemania. CarboH total dia 70-80 gr. Deporte Gym todos dias L-V 1h-2 h
HbA1c 5,5% (Abril 2022)
Dexcom G6

Hello dear, thank you very much for your answers to my comment.
Well, I tell you that last week I aid I measured mySee what was really happening and these were the results:

- Basal glucose: 106 (normal range: 70 - 100)
- Glycosylated hemoglobin: 5.30 (Normal range: 4 - 6)
- Insulina: 9.30 (The laboratory says that the reference range is less than 17)
- Peptide Index C: 85.99 (the laboratory says that results less than 55 indicate oral hypoglymic failure)
- Peptide C: 1.54 (Normal range: 0.69 - 2.45)
- HOMA IR: 2.45 (Range according to laboratory: 2.1 - 2.7)

The day before I did nothing different, I had dinner at the same time etc.

About 4 months ago in the glucometer gave me 125 and in Laboratory 110, the same day.Apparently my glucometer has about 10 or 11 points above the real.

I am 38 years old, I measure 180 cm and weight 84 kg, it is not obese either, anyway.

Well, how do you think the results?

Thank you very much for the collaboration.

yoan's profile photo
yoan
09/01/2020 5:46 p.m.

@yoan

Better consult it and comment with the endocrine!Even if you have already done it.

But well, taking into account that I am not a doctor and since you ask for opinions, it does not look like type 1 diabetes but you could be at the beginning of type 2 diabetes. Being fasting around 120 is a tall pelin.The ideal is around 100 or something below.But you have an acceptable HB.

Ah, keep in mind that insulin resistance is not always caused by obesity.Genetics also influences.In fact I know some very thin type 2!

All the best

jldiazdel's profile photo
jldiazdel
09/02/2020 6:11 p.m.

DM1 desde Marzo 2018 (53 años). 7-10 unidades basal: Abasaglar (insulina glargina). NovoRapid. Factor 1.0/1.5.
Vivo en Alemania. CarboH total dia 70-80 gr. Deporte Gym todos dias L-V 1h-2 h
HbA1c 5,5% (Abril 2022)
Dexcom G6

Your problem is not with glucose, explore other options

Alberto_13's profile photo
Alberto_13
09/12/2020 1:07 p.m.

DM3c desde 2018; hb 6 % (feb.. 2022) (tresiba+fiasp+metformina)

Ahhh and something else, I have been taking metformin 850mg 1-0.5-1 for two years, never gives hypoglycemia, but very unpleasant side effects, even after two years taking it.You do not have the values ​​to take metformin, unless you take it to lose weight, my advice changes from a doctor but already, before you try a major problem

Alberto_13
09/12/2020 1:12 p.m.

alberto_13 said:
ahhh and something else, I have been taking metformin 850mg 1-0.5-1, never gives hypoglycemia, but very unpleasant side effects, even after two years taking it.You do not have the values ​​to take metformin, unless you take it to lose weight, my advice changes as a doctor but already, before you try a major problem

Hi, thank you very much for your answer, is type 2 diabetic?And what side effects has metformin given?I have not taken it, I keep exercising and limiting the carbohydrates at dinner especially, I have dropped 1.5 kg something that I do not like, but well, however, I continue with the uncomfortable symptoms of how loss of sugar when I carry some3 or 4 hours without eating, and also in the morning, when I wake up, I feel normal, but if not breakfast in 20 minutes I already feel the descent.The truth is quite uncomfortable that situation.

I have not seen myself with another doctor either, I want to wait for a couple of months and repeat analysis to see how

Greetings

yoan's profile photo
yoan
09/23/2020 5:20 p.m.

My diabetes call it 3C, caused by pancreas pathologies (cancer, pacreatitis, ...) the side effects of metformin that pursue me are diarrhea and weight loss. Before prescribing anything you should monitor those alleged declines since whatYou think that it is low from glucose, it can be tension or other pathologies, for commenting on an anecdote to me the coffee scene produces me symptoms similar to hypoglycemia and it turnsin hand.
All the best

Alberto_13
09/24/2020 5:17 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.