{'en': 'Sport and Diabetes: What to do?', 'es': 'Deporte y diabetes: ¿Qué hacer?'} Image

Sport and Diabetes: What to do?

Jgo's profile photo   09/09/2020 11:35 a.m.

Hello,

I have been informing about what needs to be done before I started exercising but it is not very clear to me.

If you could summarize the changes in insulin and what kind of HC you have to take you would help me a lot.I also appreciate any website or PDF with more info.

Thanks 😊

Jgo's profile photo
Jgo
09/09/2020 11:35 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

@Jgo

Well there are some general rules, but then as you know you have to adapt them to your body, since each one we react very differently.

Basic rule: Do not play sports with active insulin.I do not do sports for security until 3 hours have not passed.Sport multiplies the action of insulin and can cause strong hypoglycemia.

The sport lowers glycemia a bit (there are people who are the other way around and upload it a bit!).I take some water with dissolved isostar, in total about 10 gr of carbohydrates.Normally I take some sips during a hard session, sometimes more.But I look at him with the sensor.In general, try to start doing very low sports.I prefer to be around 130. If you are above 200, be very careful.If you know your body well, you can do sports, but in general it is not recommended.You can cause ketone in blood.When in doubt, you can wait a bit and wait for it to go down or leave it for another day.But if you put an insulin correction do not do sports.I do not recommend it.I have already made that mistake.And hypoglycemia is not pleasant in a Gym.

If you are on the mountain, and stop eating, I reduce the amount of insulin that would put me to eat.But I have checked that with the sensor.You have to try carefully.I prefer to walk a little high en route and then if necessary when I get to the car to put on a correction.

Well, I guess you have a glucose monitor, Abbott or Dexcom or another.I really see sports, especially some very demanding without a sensor.But it depends a lot on the type of sport you do.Without a sensor everything is complicated a lot, but I suppose that some sports can be done.In that case, for security, without a sensor, I would start even higher, around 150, to have more safety room.

All the best

jldiazdel's profile photo
jldiazdel
09/09/2020 4:46 p.m.

DM1 desde Marzo 2018 (53 años). 7-10 unidades basal: Abasaglar (insulina glargina). NovoRapid. Factor 1.0/1.5.
Vivo en Alemania. CarboH total dia 70-80 gr. Deporte Gym todos dias L-V 1h-2 h
HbA1c 5,5% (Abril 2022)
Dexcom G6

Link

mamarvazq's profile photo
mamarvazq
09/09/2020 8:57 p.m.

The few times I do sports logically before doing so I look at glucose and if I have it stable I always drink a Aquarius boat and I take 5 or 6 Maria type cookies, but of course each body is a world.

haceaire77's profile photo
haceaire77
09/09/2020 10:09 p.m.

Good @jgo
I made a video for @"clinic dialibre" on this subject, I hope it serves you.
For what you need me you can ask me, greetings

Link

Fran_Alcantara's profile photo
Fran_Alcantara
09/13/2020 4:41 p.m.

Well, I usually play sports in the afternoon but in summer I have been doing some days with more friends hiking routes, some with certain existing climbs, I went after breakfast like an hour later and it has always happened to me if the route lasted more than two hoursAnd there was a lot of climb at the end, it put me in 3 grams !!To me the moderate-intense exercise raises me a lot, sometimes I put some insulin before and if I go to the gym to 130 I return with 250. Yes I go with 80, not as nothing of course, I return in 150 or more.It is true that then the effect of the algicio does that I go down, but what I do is that at dinner I put less insulin and take something before sleeping.Each one is a world.

meginer's profile photo
meginer
09/15/2020 5:03 p.m.

jgo said:
hello, I have been informing about what needs to be done before I start exercising but it is not very clear to me.

If you could summarize the changes in insulin and what kind of HC you have to take you would help me a lot.I also appreciate any website or PDF with more info.

Thanks 😊

I recommend that if you are going to practice sports you go little by little and always taking precautions.Some time ago I encouraged Buy Climbing dams and now I practice this sport in a regular way and I love it.Of course, with care and caution everything can be achieved.Cheer up!:)

marta5's profile photo
marta5
09/17/2020 12:01 p.m.

jgo said:
hello, I have been informing about what needs to be done before I start exercising but it is not very clear to me.

Thanks 😊

Good .. I tell you what I do after 19 years of type 1 diabetes.

1º-SI is a sport that you have never practiced, try to do it at the moment you can be to see what changes cause you in the body.

2º-if you have already practiced it before and you have a north of how it affects you, you have 2 options ... or reduce the number of units necessary to reach the pre sport over 160 approx and correct if you need to supplement with fruit or what youA feel like the other option would be to arrive in Normaglucemia before sport and supplement to counteract the descent.

3rd -IAt the hormonal level and little can be done ... what you should keep in mind is that although then you are in hyperglycemia, your insulin sensitivity will also increase so you probably have to put less units than if you had done that exercise ..

The summary is the usual ... There are no exact mathematics for this ... you must measure yourself continuously and solve the potholes on the march.

For example I practice 2 exercises fundamentally.

Gym and mountain hiking.In the first one it gives me a rise for the post -training effort and in the second practically I do not put insulin and I am eating hydrates on demand.

marine's profile photo
marine
09/17/2020 1:25 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.