Help with Humalog Mix 25 ... Does anyone here use it?

Cleodomira's profile photo   10/01/2020 6:19 a.m.

Hello!I am new in this world of needles, diets and many care ... My doctor prescribed this insulin, but it was not clear ... he told me that I should apply 12 units fifteen minutes before breakfast and 12 units before dinner ..But I wonder?And the time of lunch?Because not apply before lunch? ... thanks for reading me

Cleodomira's profile photo
Cleodomira
10/01/2020 6:19 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Mix 25 carries 25% fast insulin and 75% slow.The slow is used to meet the needs of the body between meals (there must always be some insulin in the body) and the rapid for meals.These mixture insulins are not usually used because they always force you to eat the same and wear fixed schedules.I suppose that what you try is to cover you 24 hours with the slow one that carries the mixture and breakfast and dinner with the fast.It saves you punctures but the control will be worse and you have to be strict with the schedules.With that insulin you cannot put another dose at noon because you are overlapping the action of the slow one with the morning and night and can give you hypoglycemia.
Next time he asks the doctor because he puts that treatment and not another of slow insulin every 24 hours and fast in each meal.They are at least 4 punctures a day instead of 2 but the control is much better and you do not have to be strict with the schedules or the meals.If you do not eat do not click and you put the fast insulin depending on what you are going to eat, so you can vary what you eat every day.Of course every time you eat is a little more that of slow every day at the same time.
He has put it like this to facilitate things at first because to use fast and slow separate, many knowledge of counting hydrates is missing, knowing the effect that the insulin does you can change throughout the day and with hormones ...It is quite complex.
I recommend that you read about the different insulins and hydrates count and in the next consultation that the doctor explained well because he has put that treatment and if you do not agree to propose another that can be better adapted to your life.But for that you need to be formed in diabetes.Insulin can be dangerous if it is not known, it is not like putting the dose that tell you and eating the diet that you have put and forget.Require glucose controls before and after meals, count hydrates, know how to adapt the doses ...
It also depends on whether you are type 1 or 2. If you are type 2 that treatment is better and it is simpler than putting the insulins separately as we do the type 1. And if you are type 1 and you are on the honeymoon the same tooIt helps you to use that insulin and later change it to you.

Yessica_A's profile photo
Yessica_A
10/01/2020 9:29 a.m.

DM1 desde 2003 | Toujeo + Humalog | FreeStyle 2 | HbA1c 5.5

Yesssica_a thanks thank you a thousand ... you clarified everything I wanted to know ... and yes, I'm new, it's a daily learning ... Seriously, thank you thousands!

Cleodomira
10/01/2020 4:02 p.m.

Little by little, at first it costs to learn everything but with patience and reading a lot you will see how you control the disease perfectly.I have learned everything that I have learned on my own, they never gave me diabetological education and the endocrine either usually shows you much if you no longer have a base and ask specific questions because they do not have time.But if you already go with most things learned and a list of concrete questions surely answers you without problems.It is very useful to point all doubts in a notebook and if you fail to answer them alone looking for information on the Internet because you ask the endocrine in the following consultation.

Yessica_A's profile photo
Yessica_A
10/02/2020 10:39 a.m.

DM1 desde 2003 | Toujeo + Humalog | FreeStyle 2 | HbA1c 5.5

Yesssica_a said:
little by little, at first it costs to learn everything but with patience and reading a lot you will see how you control the disease perfectly.I have learned everything that I have learned on my own, they never gave me diabetological education and the endocrine either usually shows you much if you no longer have a base and ask specific questions because they do not have time.But if you already go with most things learned and a list of concrete questions surely answers you without problems.It is very useful to point all doubts in a notebook and if you fail to answer them alone looking for information on the Internet because you ask the endocrine in the following consultation.

Thank you very much for your words ... This week I finally have my appointment ... and I have followed your advice to sign up everything ... a hug!

Cleodomira
10/12/2020 1:35 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.