{'en': 'Sugar climb after 3 hours of having eaten', 'es': 'Subida de azúcar después de 3 horas de haber comido'} Image

Sugar climb after 3 hours of having eaten

AuroraGomez's profile photo   10/20/2020 6:12 p.m.

Hi, I'm aurora,

I have type 1 diabetes for 4 years and in recent months I am experiencing that my sugar goes up long after 3 hours- 3 and a half hours of food and dinner (200 or even more).

At two hours I am fine, but after 3 hours my sugar tends to climb without snacking or eating anything else.

Does anyone else happen?

What can it be due to this?

What do you recommend to solve it?

Thank you so much!

AuroraGomez's profile photo
AuroraGomez
10/20/2020 6:12 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

It may be slow.

Anaisabel's profile photo
Anaisabel
10/20/2020 7:04 p.m.

But when I wake up my fasting values ​​are perfect ...

AuroraGomez
10/20/2020 7:16 p.m.

auroragomez said:
but when I lift my fasting values ​​they are perfect ...
>
anaisabel said:
may be slow.

AuroraGomez
10/20/2020 7:17 p.m.

@Auroragomez
As you have told you, you need to increase the dose of slow insulin.

But as you get up with "perfect" values, you should reduce the rapid insulin dose of dinner (a little) to go to bed with a little more blood glucose and avoid night hypoglycemia.

It is also a good idea to add a last intake (Recena or "Resopon") just immediately before going to bed.

You can also tell your endocrin@ to change the slow insulin for another to put it twice a day and so you can increase during the day and decrease during the night.

And finally, you could venture with the insulin pump, which will allow you to control the different hours of the day/night.

mamarvazq's profile photo
mamarvazq
10/20/2020 7:54 p.m.

Hello!I know what you are happening, I have been fighting with it since all the madness of the pandemic began ... it happens to me between 2: 30h to 3: 30h after food and dinner, and for me despair any change ofDose of rapid or slow solved anything.My explanation options were:

A.- The insulin that he used at the time (Fiasp) was too fast and that's why "he went too much" at the beginning but "it ended very fast" and the digestion continued to incorporate blood glucose without insulin in between, so myBlood glucose made a kind of n in the sensor (the food rises, low the insulin to even worrying levels, the rest of the food already without insulin continues to rise)

To face this theory they went to Humalog and the problem just lengthened.The peak happened something later but was still there.So, once discarded, we are now with the other option

B.- Gastroparesia.It seems that a significant percentage of diabetics have slowing gastric emptying with or without symptoms and at different levels.(The American Diabetes Association is better here Link for 20%20 System%20Digestive.
Eye!!It may or may not be our case, there are specific evidence for this but with the sanitary collapse you have to wait ...

Meanwhile, the solution seems to go through a dual or square bolus in case you have a bomb in which to inject a certain rapid percentage before eating, and the rest during later hours.In case of not having a pump, the rapid "in two batches" is basically reduced.One part for that initial climb and another puncture at 1h30/2h to avoid that late peak.Touch experiment;)

I hope I have helped !!

Mario95's profile photo
Mario95
10/20/2020 8:31 p.m.

mamarvazq said:
@auroragomez
As you have told you, you need to increase the dose of slow insulin.

But as you get up with "perfect" values, you should reduce the rapid insulin dose of dinner (a little) to go to bed with a little more blood glucose and avoid night hypoglycemia.

It is also a good idea to add a last intake (Recena or "Resopon") just immediately before going to bed.

You can also tell your endocrin@ to change the slow insulin for another to put it twice a day and so you can increase during the day and decrease during the night.

And finally, you could venture with the insulin pump, which will allow you to control the different hours of the day/night.

Thank you so much!I will try

AuroraGomez
10/20/2020 10:41 p.m.

mario95 said:
hello!I know what you are happening, I have been fighting with it since all the madness of the pandemic began ... it happens to me between 2: 30h to 3: 30h after food and dinner, and for me despair any change ofDose of rapid or slow solved anything.My explanation options were:

A.- The insulin that he used at the time (Fiasp) was too fast and that's why "he went too much" at the beginning but "it ended very fast" and the digestion continued to incorporate blood glucose without insulin in between, so myBlood glucose made a kind of n in the sensor (the food rises, low the insulin to even worrying levels, the rest of the food already without insulin continues to rise)

To face this theory they went to Humalog and the problem just lengthened.The peak happened something later but was still there.So, once discarded, we are now with the other option

B.- Gastroparesia.It seems that a significant percentage of diabetics have slowing gastric emptying with or without symptoms and at different levels.(The American Diabetes Association is better here Link for 20%20 System%20Digestive.
Eye!!It may or may not be our case, there are specific evidence for this but with the sanitary collapse you have to wait ...

Meanwhile, the solution seems to go through a dual or square bolus in case you have a bomb in which to inject a certain rapid percentage before eating, and the rest during later hours.In case of not having a pump, the rapid "in two batches" is basically reduced.One part for that initial climb and another puncture at 1h30/2h to avoid that late peak.Touch experiment;)

I hope I have helped !!

Thank you very much Mario!I have already written for concern and see that there are more people, I calm down a bit ... I have come to Ireland to live and I did not know if it could be so much change or not, although I do not think that is the reason.

No, I don't carry a bomb so as you say, it's time to experiment and find the key!I hope it is soon for both;)
Thank you very much

AuroraGomez
10/20/2020 10:49 p.m.

Hello.It happens to me some times with certain foods.It doesn't get so much as you, but it is like an inexplicable climb at three hours after having eaten or dinner.It happens to me especially with rice and if as something more bread at dinner.I have solved it by putting the fast (I also use Fiasp) a little later, that is, for example when I have just had dinner.As for whatever, the sugar of those foods takes longer to reach the blood and the rapid acts too fast in my case.

Carussa's profile photo
Carussa
10/21/2020 11:38 a.m.

DM1 desde octubre de 2019 | Toujeo + Fiasp | FreeStyle | febrero 2023: HbA1c 5,7

It happens to my TV depending on what eate or the amount, Mario 95's article explains everything very clearly.

Alberto_13's profile photo
Alberto_13
10/21/2020 12:25 p.m.

DM3c desde 2018; hb 6 % (feb.. 2022) (tresiba+fiasp+metformina)

carussa said:
hello.It happens to me some times with certain foods.It doesn't get so much as you, but it is like an inexplicable climb at three hours after having eaten or dinner.It happens to me especially with rice and if as something more bread at dinner.I have solved it by putting the fast (I also use Fiasp) a little later, that is, for example when I have just had dinner.For whatever, the sugar of those foods takes longer to reach the blood and the rapid acts too fast in my case.

Thank you so much.Yes, now I'm going to try to eat less bread and hydrates to see how

AuroraGomez
10/21/2020 12:36 p.m.

Ideally, you go to your endocrine to check and prescribe insulin properly, it is important that diabetics understand that having a balanced diet in terms of the type of food we eat is very important, as well as the portions we eat.It is also important to be attached to treatment and not be doing the doctor.If we control our diet correctly many times insulin is not necessary but if we intend to eat as an common person, we are fried.We cannot be playing with our health, since lack of control and glucose peaks are those that affect our kidneys.We must also consider that we can have insulin resistance, so that we will need more and more of it and unfortunately it will remain inefficient.This resistance is broken with exercise, maintaining adequate weight and with medications but for this we must go to professionals and not be playing with our health.

MARIZUJIMENEZH's profile photo
MARIZUJIMENEZH
10/21/2020 3:34 p.m.

It has been continually happening to me for a year.
It explains it very well @mario69.

Basically insulin does not cover the metabolism of food that is longer than the 3-3.5 hours of rapid insulin effect and must be replenished insulin.
It passes with the fats, and especially with rice, pizza, a sandwich, cheese, excess red meat protein, ... come if you meet fat concentrated with fat.It is the bomb.
If you eat in a regime plan: vegetable, something light grilled and a small fruit, insulin covers the insulin.

If you get very fast, you are going to hip and at 3 hours to hyper.The slow one should not touch it because between meals and when one is in the target values.
The solution is in the middle, putting the usual as quickly as it does not get to Hiper and replenish when it begins to rise.I control it.If it were not diabetics, my pancreas would be providing insulin for fats on demand.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
10/22/2020 5:15 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

ruthbia said:
It has been continuously for a year.

Basically insulin does not cover the metabolism of food that is longer than the 3-3.5 hours of rapid insulin effect and must be replenished insulin.
It passes with the fats, and especially with rice, pizza, a sandwich, cheese, excess red meat protein, ... come if you meet fat concentrated with fat.It is the bomb.
If you eat in a regime plan: vegetable, something light grilled and a small fruit, insulin covers the insulin.

If you get very fast, you are going to hip and at 3 hours to hyper.The slow one should not touch it because between meals and when one is in the target values.
The solution is in the middle, putting the usual as quickly as it does not get to Hiper and replenish when it begins to rise.I control it.If it were not diabetics, my pancreas would be providing insulin for fats on demand.

Yes, that is what I have been doing, replenishing insulin when I started uploading, but as it happens for me for relatively little I did not know what to do and if it was normal or not.
Thank you so much!

AuroraGomez
10/22/2020 5:38 p.m.

ruthbia said:
It has been continuously for a year.

mario69's profile photo
mario69
10/23/2020 8:46 a.m.

Diabetes 2, pero insulinorequiriente, con resistencia a la insulina y pancreas agotado.
HbA1c: dic '16: 12,8; mar '17: 10,9
Fallece mi madre oct '17
Ida a Paraguay feb '18
HbA1c: oct '18: 8,7; ene '19: 6,5; abr '19: 6,2 abr '19: 6,5; jun '19: 7,5; set '19: ???
Detemir 26 7:30 y 20 19:30
Aspartica 4 antes desay y mer y 5 antes alm y cena.
200 a 250gr de HC diarios, 80gr Prot y 80gr Grasa. Segun actividad.
71 años 88kg 1,72.

Hi @ruthbia, how are you.
I received many tips of yours upon entering this forum a long time ago.
As I received a notification for having been mentioned, I wanted to see what the reason was and I think or surely you confused me with @Mario95, who did give any explanation.
This coming to the forum, already as a much more experienced diabetic, although with more doubts about several things than at first, he made that I must update the data of our glycosylated state and insulin application.
I also get attention to the moderators (I see that you are now) and the reflection that we would all be under suspicion arises, although I attest that I do not do what they call "trolley."
Maybe by clueless and anxious, he sends me without taking into account any certain thread.For the need to know something that worries me.
So, I wanted to look for if in some previous interventions, surely more than 3 years ago, (today 3 years of my mother's death and stopped doing several things) I found something of the topic you were referring to.
And I saw that I do not know how to read again one of the chats with you or other people more than that time ago.
Or directly you cannot recover what was said above.
This may be a silly intervention and is bothering someone who considers it nonsense.
Now as a moderator you could sanction me or answer me whether or not you can recover ancient dialogues.
I also saw one of the last issues where the inconvenience of a 1500 kc diet that a young person that low from 80-90 kg to 65 is mentioned and wants to recover muscles.
Ultimately almost two months ago I was admitted because I had jaundice and high values ​​of bilirubin transaminases alkaline phosphatase and something else and then when I left I did it with a low fat diet between 800 and 1200 kc.
On my own, seeing that I felt weak, I took it to 1400 with preponderance of cooked vegetables and fruits (no cracks) and continue with my dear banana, lowering the white and integral bread and starting to use olive oil.
It drops from 88 to 78-80 and I feel strongly despite 1400 - 1500 kc daily also milk and fat -free yogurts and chicken breast.
A hug while writing revealed from 4 am.

mario69's profile photo
mario69
10/23/2020 9:25 a.m.

Diabetes 2, pero insulinorequiriente, con resistencia a la insulina y pancreas agotado.
HbA1c: dic '16: 12,8; mar '17: 10,9
Fallece mi madre oct '17
Ida a Paraguay feb '18
HbA1c: oct '18: 8,7; ene '19: 6,5; abr '19: 6,2 abr '19: 6,5; jun '19: 7,5; set '19: ???
Detemir 26 7:30 y 20 19:30
Aspartica 4 antes desay y mer y 5 antes alm y cena.
200 a 250gr de HC diarios, 80gr Prot y 80gr Grasa. Segun actividad.
71 años 88kg 1,72.

Several considerations about the start problem:

I use a bomb, but I think this is worth both for those who do not use a bomb and for the K YES.
I am going to say everything is when the levels after a meal are uncontrolled (without the possibility of carbon-hydroly calculations)

In principle to solve the climbs 2-3 hours after a meal (with its corresponding fast insulin) is simple:

Additional rapid insulin injection, the problem is K must be react before reaching values ​​of 200-220.I usually wear additional fast insulin when I reach 180-190 and I see k continues to rise ... the problem is how much? ... already k cannot be made exact calculations because you have not ingested food at that time, I usually inject two units.And I see how I am at 20-25 minutes, if two other units are still uploading, so even K is leveled and/or starts.

Then you will say ... And if in some cases a subsequent hypoglycemia appears?Well, I solve it with direct sugar intake to the mouth (small tablespoons) ... with the k the hypo it stops quickly ... with a little it is lucky quickly level.

Important:
When the sugar levels are unbridled several hours after a meal is not because of the HC (k they are already controlled by the fast insulin K I put), but k is usually due to the intake together with the HC of too many proteins or fats, since these can give high glucose levels at 3 or 5 hours later.

There are several internet studies on late climbs due to excess fat or proteins at a meal.

greetings.

JUAN DAVID 's profile photo
JUAN DAVID
10/25/2020 3:44 p.m.

I am a DM1 teenager, we have been on this path for 7 years, sometimes when it goes up so much after the intake it is because of the fats, if the dish contains fats in addition to hydrates, it goes up hours later.It would not go up slowly if the morning values ​​are normal because ... you have to deal with night hypoglycemia.As my child needs an extra carbohydrates because the weight was low with the stretch, I try to control the consumption of fats, since I count and correct hydrates.Greetings

Nancy's profile photo
Nancy
10/25/2020 7:14 p.m.

@Nancy
I'm sure you're doing very well!

The same thing happens to me too, but sometimes I don't know if it is the excess of proteins or fats or both because sometimes they are very close.
But it is true that if I take a good meat steak that delays me a lot of digestion, and by the time the body begins to assimilate the carbohydrates I already have little insulin, and that causes me rebounds.
If I put a correction of one or two fast units, then I am patient and I wait for an hour and a half to see how I am, to avoid moving from hyper to hypos.Insulin usually does its maximum effect at the time and I prefer to be patient and see where I am about reacting because I have already put the leg several times.

All the best

jldiazdel's profile photo
jldiazdel
10/25/2020 8:17 p.m.

DM1 desde Marzo 2018 (53 años). 7-10 unidades basal: Abasaglar (insulina glargina). NovoRapid. Factor 1.0/1.5.
Vivo en Alemania. CarboH total dia 70-80 gr. Deporte Gym todos dias L-V 1h-2 h
HbA1c 5,5% (Abril 2022)
Dexcom G6

Hello again, first of all thank you all for your comments, they have been very useful and above all they have helped me to reassure myself.
I write again to say that it seems that the thing has stabilized a bit !!I think the problem came from menstruation.In the case of some women when we are ovulating it costs a lot more to control sugar levels and I think this is what happened to me, however I am alert.;)

Greetings

AuroraGomez
11/03/2020 8:48 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.