{'en': 'Ultraprocessed foods increase the possibility of diabetes', 'es': 'Alimentos ultraprocesados incrementan la posibilidad de diabetes'} Image

Ultraprocessed foods increase the possibility of diabetes

fer's profile photo   01/16/2020 9:59 a.m.

Numerous studies relate ultraprocessed foods to the appearance of diseases or different health problems;But now, a new study developed by the University of Paris-Sorbonne and published in the American medical journal Jama Internal Medicine, gives us a new reason to eliminate from our diets the intake of this type of products.

And, according to this study, the high content of added sugars and unhealthy fats that usually contain these foods cause the appearance of diabetes.

For the investigation, the consumption habits of almost 105 thousand people of an average age of 42 years were analyzed in a 24 -hour period.In total, 3,500 foods were counted, which were classified according to their typology: natural, minimally processed processed and ultraprocessed.

The analysis revealed that the consumption in grams of ultraprocessed would increase the risk of type 2 diabetes, regardless of the intake of other foods and risk factors that this disease usually causes.

In this sense, doctors Bernard Srour and Mathilde Touvier, main authors of the study, have advised to "limit the consumption of ultraprocessed foods to prioritsalt, sugar and fats and maintain a healthy lifestyle. "

Experts thus recommend limiting the consumption of red and processed meats, soft drinks and drinks, and foster others such as vegetables, yogurts without added sugars and nuts such as nuts.

Cooking mode can also influence the appearance of this disease, so that fried should be avoided as possible.

A few dates ago, the prestigious Parisian university published another study also related to the consumption of ultraprocessed, in which the researchers came to the conclusion that the intake of this type of food increased the risk of mortality.The data revealed that a 10 % increase in ultraprocess consumption resulted in the direct increase of 14 % the probabilities of death risk in the next eight years.

Laure Schnabel, nutritional epidemiologist at the University of Paris-Sorbona and the main leader of that research, then explained that "the nutritional characteristics of ultra-processed foods could partly explain the development of chronic noncommunicable diseases among those who consume them. They are generallyDense in energy, rich in refined carbohydrates, saturated fats and salt, and contain low dietary fiber.

fer's profile photo
fer
01/16/2020 9:59 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

@Fer

Thanks for the information

There is a very serious problem of lack of nutrition education.It has already been achieved that all packaged products have labels with basic composition per 100 gr (and some add per unit).The problem is that there are many people who do not even look at them and many who do not know how to read / interpret nutritional infomination.Many people just look at the calories and that's it.

In my work I stay perplexed when sometimes I talk to my colleagues about meals of ignorance and ignorance that some have.

Now in Europe they are studying also tags with several colors to warn of the most dangerous products (high percentage of sugars and/or saturated fats).It is perhaps a very simplistic form, but maybe it would be a solution.They should do more information campaigns and raise awareness among people.There is already a very serious problem of very widespread childhood obesity in some communities.The ignorance of some parents is generating future people with type 2 diabetes and people with heart problems (among other problems).It is a serious and worrying issue.

jldiazdel's profile photo
jldiazdel
01/16/2020 10:49 a.m.

DM1 desde Marzo 2018 (53 años). 7-10 unidades basal: Abasaglar (insulina glargina). NovoRapid. Factor 1.0/1.5.
Vivo en Alemania. CarboH total dia 70-80 gr. Deporte Gym todos dias L-V 1h-2 h
HbA1c 5,5% (Abril 2022)
Dexcom G6

It should be mandatory in all restaurant menus.
The advance is great indicating the allergenic and for when the HC?

More than once I return a salad or dishes with meat through the sweet sauces that add them and what to say of the fats ...

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
01/16/2020 11:26 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

The most important thing to see if a food is healthy or is not to see the list of ingredients, nutritional information does not provide anything in that regard.It is useful for us for HC or people who tell macros, but little else.

The restaurants that @ruthbia says would be useful, and more if they include the list of ingredients.Thus you could see if the dish you are going to eat carries bad fats or added sugars, etc.

Yessica_A's profile photo
Yessica_A
01/16/2020 12:35 p.m.

DM1 desde 2003 | Toujeo + Humalog | FreeStyle 2 | HbA1c 5.5

Well, if @yessica_a, some waiters make me a bad face because I ask what I carry and then tell them: you take away my honey, syrup, sweet blueberries .... It is fashionable to decorate salads that then know to pure sugar.

Every time I ask for salad, I tell you without dressing but they arrive with all kinds of sauces less oil, vinegar and salt.

Asking HC is a lot, but the ingredients of the sauces should be mandatory.Apart from diabetics there are many people with problems of all kinds.
Excess salt is another for hypertensive that are also a large percentage of the population.

We have stayed with allergic and celiac.In my opinion it is more "fashion" than need, if necessary, it would have been extended to more diseases, taking into account that diabetes (type 2 especially) is considered "epidemic" for the habits we have today.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
01/16/2020 1:23 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

@Yessica_a

I look both.List of ingredients and composition.The information of the GR of proteins, fats (saturated and not saturated) and hydrates (incl the fiber) I have always looked at it, even before diabetes.I need to know the GR of proteins, fats and hydrates (now more) of the products that I buy.And if they are not elaborated, I have always tried to know their composition (I have a book that Copmppre long for food composition).

Before diabetes I followed the "Own Zone" system or being in the area (from Barry Sears), even very strictly.I/less tried to eat in proportions 40/30/30 (hydrates/proteins/fats) in each meal.I was doing very well, why basically forced me to think "what am I eating?"and "am I eating in a varied and balanced way?"Now I have reduced daily hydrates, because it works better for me, but I always need to know the grams that I take from proteins and fats (more or less).

All the best

jldiazdel's profile photo
jldiazdel
01/16/2020 4:06 p.m.

DM1 desde Marzo 2018 (53 años). 7-10 unidades basal: Abasaglar (insulina glargina). NovoRapid. Factor 1.0/1.5.
Vivo en Alemania. CarboH total dia 70-80 gr. Deporte Gym todos dias L-V 1h-2 h
HbA1c 5,5% (Abril 2022)
Dexcom G6

ruthbia said:
should be mandatory in all restaurant menus.
The advance is great indicating the allergenic and for when the HC?

More than once I return a salad or dishes with meat through the sweet sauces that add them and what to say of the fats ...

>

It is that the theme of the sauces should specify it, most of the time in restaurants I ask for salads without seasoning.Until you have a health problem, it seems that no, but you do not realize the lack of information we have.

Nila's profile photo
Nila
02/24/2020 6:51 p.m.

Diabetes desde 03/15
Lantus
MODY 3
HG octubre 2021: 5,7; junio 2021: 6,5; 2020: 6,7; 2019: 6,7. 2018: 6,4

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.