{'en': 'Available FIASP insulin for children from a year and adolescents with diabetes', 'es': 'Disponible la insulina Fiasp para niños a partir de un año y adolescentes con diabetes'} Image

Available FIASP insulin for children from a year and adolescents with diabetes

fer's profile photo   02/27/2020 5:14 p.m.

Until now, this insulin was only indicated in Spain for adults with diabetes.

Fiasp -Faster Aspart of Fast Action of Novo Nordisk -is now available in Spain for children from a year and adolescents with type 1 diabetes or type 2. Until now, this novel insulin for its mechanism of action was only indicated inSpain for adults with diabetes."In the pediatric population, the main difficulty we are for the good control of diabetes is to avoid hyperglycemia that occur after meals," says Dr. Marta Ferrer, of the Pediatric Endocrinology Unit of the Miguel Servet Hospital(Saragossa).

This new insulin, explains Dr. Ferrer, represents a new generation of prandial insulins or faster action.Its initial absorption and peak of action are more early than the current fast -acting insulin anologists, which reduces the peak of early hyperglycemia that occurs at the time or hour and a half after eating. ”

For these age groups, it is recommended that FIASP be administered before meals (from 0 to 2 minutes before the start of the intake).However, FIASP can also be administered up to 20 minutes after the beginning of the intake (administration after food) on those occasions in which the person with diabetes does not surely know what time it will eat.

complications in pediatric population

"It is estimated that in our country the incidence of type 1 diabetes in children under 15 is 15-20 new cases per 100,000 children/year," says the expert.Adolescents, continues, are the age group in which it is more difficult to achieve glycemic objectives (in general, glycosylated hemoglobin & lt; 7%)."An objective that reaches less than half of adolescents, between 30-40%."

The most common complications in the pediatric population because of poor diabetes control are minor, serious hypoglycemia and hyperglycemic decompensation with risk of ketoacidosis.“Although its frequency is slowly decreasing thanks to the new treatments, devices and diabetological education.The latter is a necessary pillar for advances to translate into an improvement in glycemic control.But it must be carried out from the diagnosis of the disease and, in the specific case of children, the involvement of the family is key, ”warns Dr. Marta Ferrer.

fer's profile photo
fer
02/27/2020 5:14 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

We have changed the electronic recipe of my daughter and Tuesday or Wednesday should start with FIASP.
I worry that your speed of action forces to change the waiting times before eating that we currently have with Novorapid.A c..ñazo having to change what we already have more or less controlled.Hopefully it is better.
If someone has experience with this insulin could comment, please.
Thank you.Greetings.

Mario_S's profile photo
Mario_S
05/25/2020 11:29 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

mario_s said:
have changed the electronic recipe of my daughter and Tuesday or Wednesday should start with Fiasp.
I worry that your speed of action forces to change the waiting times before eating that we currently have with Novorapid.A c..ñazo having to change what we already have more or less controlled.Hopefully it is better.
Thank you.Greetings.

UPPSSS.I see that there are threads on the subject.I go there.

Mario_S's profile photo
Mario_S
05/25/2020 11:31 a.m.

mario_s said:
have changed the electronic recipe of my daughter and Tuesday or Wednesday should start with Fiasp.
Thank you.Greetings.

Hi Mario, I speak from my experience with Fiasp in adult ...
It goes much better than the novorapid but her action is so fast that she had dizziness and I had to return to the novorapid ...
If it is true that glycemia improves but at the beginning until you take the pace, more hypoglycemia occur ... but I am talking to you in an adult ... in children I suppose it will be more or less ... greetings

Betty's profile photo
Betty
05/25/2020 11:57 a.m.

betty said:
mario_s said:
have changed the electronic recipe of my daughter and Tuesday or Wednesday should start with fiasp.
Thank you.Greetings.

It goes much better than the novorapid but her action is so fast that she had dizziness and I had to return to the novorapid ...
If it is true that glycemia improves but at the beginning until you take the pace, more hypoglycemia occur ... but I am talking to you in an adult ... in children I suppose it will be more or less ... greetings

Betty, but more hypoglycemia occur because you have to lower the dose with respect to Humalog and Novorapid or what?Because the action is before the others but I imagine that the duration of the effect will be similar, no?From almost three hours of the food, if this insulin is more physiological and its action begins before, perhaps it would make me better.Thank you.

meginer's profile photo
meginer
05/25/2020 12:32 p.m.

The action is faster than the novorapid, but it is not at the moment and its duration is a little shorter.I speak from my experience I use it only for breakfast and so the peak I had before has diminished me a lot,
@Mario_s, if you are happy with insulin you don't have to change.The FIASP uses it only for breakfast because with the novorapid I go well in the rest of the meals.Tell the doctor, my doctor seems good and always let me try or break away.

Anaisabel's profile photo
Anaisabel
05/25/2020 3:21 p.m.

betty said:
mario_s said:
have changed the electronic recipe of my daughter and Tuesday or Wednesday should start with fiasp.
Thank you.Greetings.

Hi Betty.Thank you very much for commenting your experience.We will be careful and monitor if there are undesirable effects as it happened to you.Thank you!!

Mario_S's profile photo
Mario_S
05/25/2020 9:42 p.m.

anaisabel said:
The action is faster than the novorapid, but it is not at the moment and its duration is a little shorter.I speak from my experience I use it only for breakfast and so the peak I had before has diminished me a lot,
@Mario_s, if you are happy with insulin you don't have to change.The FIASP uses it only for breakfast because with the novorapid I go well in the rest of the meals.Tell the doctor, my doctor seems good and always let me try or break away.

Hi Anaisabel, really more than happy we are used to, but my breeding is very difficult to carry without hyper or hypos.Daily graphs sometimes seem the Pyrenees, so the doctor wants to try.
We are going to use it and we will see what happens.Coincidentally with your case, the most complicated to wear is breakfast, which although for now it is moderately controlled, it is not uncommon for us to have unpleasant surprises.
Thank you very much Anaisabel,

Mario_S's profile photo
Mario_S
05/25/2020 9:46 p.m.

In our case, the use of FIASP has decreased post meals, but we have detected that at the end of insulin action 3 hours or so in some occasions it produces hyperglycemia until the next meal, and we have tried to prick you more units ofFiasp and produces hypoglycemia.It is a bit complicated to adjust it well, taking into account that we cannot regulate with half units.All this added that each meal is a world, does not react in the same way.We have climbed Lantus to avoid those hyper when the fast ends but we have not avoided those hyper.since at night he sometimes goes down too much.

Toni Toni's profile photo
Toni Toni
06/01/2020 12:11 p.m.

Miembro del equipo de moderacion del foro
Padre de diabética

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.