Exclusion for diabetes

Charli99's profile photo   01/29/2021 12:49 p.m.

Good morning,
I am 21 years old and I am opposing for State Security Forces and Bodies (Army, Local Police, Mossos d'Esquadra ...).In 2017, the government eliminated diabetes, together with other pathologies, of the exclusions picture.But it is not entirely true, since in the new BOE the word "diabetes" have changed by "endocrinomethabolic processes that produce morphological or functional alterations of prognostic importance or that require continuous replacement therapy" that is the same.The only change is that now a doctor (not endocrine) has to value your diabetes and see if you are suitable for performing the required functions.

A year ago I introduced myself to the oppositions of the army, I performed all the tests correctly until I reached the medical tests and saying that I had diabetes they gave me an "not suitable", I interposed a resource and sent me to the General Military Hospital of Zaragoza (I live in Barcelona), you of course pay you.Once in Zaragoza they sent me to "Internal Medicine" since there is no endocrine in that hospital, I took with me a complete report from my endocrine to see that I have more than controlled diabetes.After 1 month I got the notification (because in the hospital they don't tell you the final result), and it was "not suitable."The two doctors from Zaragoza were justified by saying that in the case of going maneuvers, I could be without insulin or something could happen to me and that they cannot assume that risk.
After all this, I tried to contact several federations and associations and I have not yet obtained any response for their part.

I believe this new topic for all those who are or have gone through a situation of exclusion and that are encouraged to tell their experiences and thus make more strength together to stop discriminating for work.

Charli99's profile photo
Charli99
01/29/2021 12:49 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hi @Charli99.

In his day I wanted to enter, but my logic of that time and that of now they continue to tell me that according to which paper you play are an apt or not suitable.

I think that the limitation was removed for certain trades because if you are for example in an office that "not suitable" does not make sense but we must be aware that in case of physical effort we require special treatment and that is so.

Already in case I think that some maneuvers can become a problem, I don't want to imagine a real situation.

I feel not to help you and I know it is a p*tada, but we have to be aware of the disease we suffer and for everything, we are not suitable ... that is my opinion.

marine's profile photo
marine
01/29/2021 2:04 p.m.

I believe that they use us according to your will, it cannot be that we are not suitable for certain jobs but we are not recognized by a disability, it is totally contradictory.And it is recorded that I do not want it to be recognized as disabled, but if I show good control and be able to do my job, that they are not based on the fact that I am sick.

Dalu's profile photo
Dalu
01/29/2021 5:33 p.m.

Papa niño 3 años diagnosticado julio 2017. Uso medtronic 640 con sensor enlite. Ultima glicosilada 6,3.

Diagnosticado noviembre 2019.

I understand frustration a lot but with a type 1 diabetes it can be very risky.

When I was young I was a sergeant of the army for what was called Imec.There were three summers during the last career courses.It was the time when doing the mili was mandatory.The first three months were horrible.Extremely hard.I don't know how much I lost weight but when they saw me in my house they didn't know me.They said that in the face he only had ears !!It was very very hard physically.In fact many people while we ran were sometimes passed out.In average of 10 hours a day we were in motion about 7 hours every day!They gave us strong because we were going to be sergeants.Sometimes I see movies and fall short.Notice that I still have very good memories!

Now that I have type 1 diabetes the truth I think I would not have endured it.I would have to carry a sensor and the mobile continuously and eat glucose regularly.I do not imagine in nocturnal maneuvers, I did several throughout the night, and that you go camouflage, with the alarm of the mobile sounding!A disaster

I understand frustration

jldiazdel's profile photo
jldiazdel
01/29/2021 5:59 p.m.

DM1 desde Marzo 2018 (53 años). 7-10 unidades basal: Abasaglar (insulina glargina). NovoRapid. Factor 1.0/1.5.
Vivo en Alemania. CarboH total dia 70-80 gr. Deporte Gym todos dias L-V 1h-2 h
HbA1c 5,5% (Abril 2022)
Dexcom G6

I respect all the opinions you are giving.
I think that all of us who carry good control of diabetes would have to be suitable.I have acquaintances within the army suffering from diabetes and does not affect them either maneuvers or anything, and have been in international missions such as in Afghanistan or Latvia (which are real situations).
There are many diabetics who are elite athletes and are equally valid as any person in their field.

On the other hand, in the medical tables of each institution I think that there should be a series of objective criteria (% HBA1C, serious hypoglycemia, associated chronic complications, revenue from acute decompensations ...) since each of the qualifying courts has its ownCriteria, some ask you for requirements and others ask you different ...

Charli99's profile photo
Charli99
01/29/2021 7:10 p.m.

I think like @dalu if they do not consider me suitable for certain positions, to recognize the dependency.
Of course I do not intend to declare my diabetes or the renewal of the driver's card or in the next medical examination of my next contract.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
01/29/2021 7:25 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

charli99 said:
respect all the opinions you are giving.
I think that all of us who carry good control of diabetes would have to be suitable.I have acquaintances within the army suffering from diabetes and does not affect them either maneuvers or anything, and have been in international missions such as in Afghanistan or Latvia (which are real situations).
There are many diabetics who are elite athletes and are equally valid as any person in their field.

On the other hand, in the medical tables of each institution I think that there should be a series of objective criteria (% HBA1C, serious hypoglycemia, associated chronic complications, revenue from acute decompensations ...) since each of the qualifying courts has its owncriteria, some ask you for requirements and others ask you different ...

Even if you get good control, that does not exempt us from having greater risk of a dangerous situation for our diabetes ... I have an extreme case ... do you think we are suitable for driving a plane full of passengers?

The case is how other colleagues comment, we are denied certain positions but we don't have any "disability" given the case ... it is a strange situation but that is another issue.

marine's profile photo
marine
01/30/2021 6:47 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.