Today I had my first big scare since I am type 1 diabetic

Rbb's profile photo   03/05/2020 4:34 p.m.

Two cacaolat milkshakes, two Aquarius glasses and two 10 grams sugar envelopes each;All this is what I have needed today to avoid a serious hypoglycemia.I am young, but I debuted in 2012, so I have some experience, and today I will explain my worst moment to date as type 1 diabetic.

At 1:30 pm today began to eat while 204 glucose (this morning I have been a little high).Half an hour after eating, I have realized that I had not kept the insulin pen fiasp (ultra -grape insulin) in place, so I have surprised.Normally I charge the dose of insulin that I am going to put before starting each meal, so that if the pen is loaded, I have not yet injected the dose.The point is that today, after eating, the pen was not in place and, in addition, it was loaded with 6 units, which are the ones that (in theory) I had already administered.I have thought that I had neglected, so I have injected those 6 units thinking that I had not done it before starting to eat.

At ten minutes I have come to mind an image of mine injecting me insulin just before eating, so I have begun to suspect that, probably, I had administered twice those 6 units of insulin (one before starting to eat and another immediatelyafter).Indeed, my suspicions were true.I have begun to ingest everything that I mentioned at the beginning of the text, but a few minutes later I was 144 (from 204 to 144).After a few more minutes, my glucose level was already 99. I have scared and called for emergencies.I have calmly explained the situation, to which they have told me that having been able to detect my error as soon, I could get out of the situation if I was ingesting sugars and, at the same time, I was monitoring my blood glucose levels.

Right now it's 16:21 and my glucose level is 184, but I confess that the bad time I have spent today I will not forget in my life.I think this invites reflection: sometimes people, as they see us to make normal life, tend to think that this diabetes with some clicks on the fingers and the typical insulin injection before meals, takes without problem.However, although it is true that with responsibility one can lead a normal life, we must bear in mind that every time we administer insulin (and there are few situations) we have before us a great responsibility, because we can pay very expensivesimple dismissals;And all the much has the right to confirm from time to time.

After explaining this I feel better.I like to read the experiences that people publish in this forum, although few times they comment.I hope my experience also helps people, or at least invite reflection.

A hug and a lot of encouragement to all who suffer from this disease.I know very well that sometimes it can be desperate, but there is always a sun among the clouds.

Rbb's profile photo
Rbb
03/05/2020 4:34 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

@RBB

I am glad that it has only stayed in a scare and you are already better.I am more rookie, but my greatest scare was a night that I don't know very well because reason instead of putting me slow insulin before bedtime I got fast!Q disasterLuckily I realized quickly and that I wear little slow (5 units).I drunk some juices and I had to be awake several hours until I saw the thing stabilized.

As you say: a reminder

jldiazdel's profile photo
jldiazdel
03/05/2020 5:07 p.m.

DM1 desde Marzo 2018 (53 años). 7-10 unidades basal: Abasaglar (insulina glargina). NovoRapid. Factor 1.0/1.5.
Vivo en Alemania. CarboH total dia 70-80 gr. Deporte Gym todos dias L-V 1h-2 h
HbA1c 5,5% (Abril 2022)
Dexcom G6

Hello!I'm glad you recovered soon!I have been with diabetes for 23 years and yes, it ever happens, it's normal ... We are not robots and we have misleading 😅😅

vandorta's profile photo
vandorta
03/05/2020 5:43 p.m.

Llevo 24 años de matrimonio con Mi diabetes :-)

💜Dexcom g6 Diciembre 2020
💓Tandem Xslim Enero 2021

~ Hemoglobinas ~
Febrero - 10,8%
Julio - 6,5%
Septiembre - 6,3%

I usually prick in the morning at 7.30 about 40 units of basal and depending on how to have the glucose about 2 before fasting before breakfast.
I punctuate the basal gluteus, 40 units, half asleep, when I realize, I see, before squeezing, it was fast.I get 40 units quickly.We are going to the head drawer.
Option, now I put them separate so as not to make mistakes and skew them into different places, basal gluteus, fast belly.

Paco Corzo's profile photo
Paco Corzo
03/05/2020 6:02 p.m.

Lada octubre 2010 toujeo 36- humalog 3-6-2

A1c. dic-19-> 6,6,.junio-20 -> 6,5. marzo-21 -> 5,8 - abril-22 -> 6,2

@RBB The cacaolat I do not know how many sugars or what glycemic index will have but the chocolate and the cola cao takes a long time to take effect, my advice 1-2 coca normal lines (or those that you need) hand of saint.

@"Paco Corzo" The same thing happened to me and I changed the breakfast basal at 7:15 at 8:00 just before entering because I also took a couple of scares half asleep although I was awake with the hurry tooIt can happen to us.-

sigsauer's profile photo
sigsauer
03/05/2020 6:31 p.m.

Hello, I look, I had my first encounter with diabetes a couple of years and it was a before and after for me.
There is a book that is called to return to the basics that is very good and addresses those issues that diabetics should know.
If you want this book I give it to you. Write me to my email
keydiabetes1@gmail.com

abby1967's profile photo
abby1967
03/05/2020 9:21 p.m.

Some mislead with conventional therapy.With the insulin bomb those things do not happen.
And do not forget that to recover quickly from hiccups, it is best gels or pure glucose pills, or failing sugar or coca normal.The milk takes longer because it has to unfold lactose in galactose and glucose, that carries its delay and more if it carries fat.
Do not use any product that carries fat.
I insist, glucose or sugar.Only if you are missing more than two hours for the next meal, wait for glycemia and then eat cookies or whatever you want.

solaria's profile photo
solaria
03/06/2020 12:20 a.m.

Debut 46 â- 2012. DM1. Celiaquía e intolerancia lactosa. Anemia perniciosa.
MiniMed 640g + SmartGuard.

I'm glad you're fine, serve to reflect.Cheer up!

Liudmila's profile photo
Liudmila
03/06/2020 12:44 p.m.

Hello .I have been with DMI for many years and I think that it has happened to us all sometimes I have not put it and sometimes I have put it 2 times I use a pen with timer and so if I have doubts I can look at my latest dose since I have already hadSeveral scares and one day he gave me a drop by overdose that almost the span

YaizaJ's profile photo
YaizaJ
03/08/2020 10:50 a.m.

I am very happy to stay in just a scare.
Two years ago it happened to me that I was having dinner quietly, I had not yet put insulin because I have a lot of sensitivity to it, and suddenly I began to feel weird.
From 180 when I sat down, he suddenly lowered me to 150 ... 124 ...... 90 ....... 73 ....... 42 ....... 30 ......... 20 !!!!!My wife called 112, I did not get on anything and everything ended in a mobile UVI and they had to recover at home.
I did not lose consciousness at any time but I didn't know anything.
The endocrine was not explained why this would happen.

1975's profile photo
03/08/2020 9:27 p.m.

hikary said:
Hello :) Keep diabetes at a satisfactory way is possible thanks to this new and only natural method recently discovered.You can immediately stop spending high sums of money and be guessing how to control diabetes.He will tell you immediately to eat, and from what meals stay away.I did it and it turned out to me, this includes a Via WhatsApp support group for all members.Here I leave the link Link greetings

My mother ..... a madman loose around here!

vandorta's profile photo
vandorta
03/09/2020 11:58 p.m.

💓Tandem Xslim Enero 2021

~ Hemoglobinas ~
Febrero - 10,8%
Julio - 6,5%
Septiembre - 6,3%

@vandorta, I know that moderators are very diligent as soon as users make a complaint.It is everyone's task to take care of the forum.Greetings.

solaria's profile photo
solaria
03/10/2020 12:05 a.m.

solar said:
@vandorta, I know that moderators are very diligent as soon as users make a complaint.It is everyone's task to take care of the forum.Greetings.

I know ... but is the comment that I made?I take it?

vandorta's profile photo
vandorta
03/10/2020 1:28 a.m.

💓Tandem Xslim Enero 2021

~ Hemoglobinas ~
Febrero - 10,8%
Julio - 6,5%
Septiembre - 6,3%

@vandorta, not by God!I have told that bad people, less pretty.
What I meant, is that we have the responsibility of denouncing them.
Greetings and I feel the poorly understood.

solaria's profile photo
solaria
03/10/2020 3:38 a.m.

@RBB, I have not punctured the insulin 2 times but recently (I already explained it here), I went directly to the bloodstream and I know what you talk about.
In order not to make mistakes or doubt, I sign up on the mobile units and time to which I put it on.
Yes or yes, I take 2 min of calm and I do it.
I always have the slow room in the room and just before I go to sleep I inject it, the fast in the kitchen, and from there it does not come out so as not to have misfortunes and put on each other.
In your case, you should have injected a glucagon and then take hydrates and Coca Cola, as the endocrine recommended when I was right to prick the quick in a arm artery.
Hopefully we will not have more scares like the ones here we comment

vanessa30's profile photo
vanessa30
03/11/2020 3:31 p.m.

I am 41 years old and I will debut about 12, type 1, and the greatest scare I remember was a night that was going to dinWait a little to get off, I calculated 45 minutes.But this time at half an hour I already had a feeling of hypo, I thought it would be the level of glucose going down, which often gives a feeling of hypo, even being tall, but when another 10 minutes passed and that feeling of hiccups more and moreaccused, I got up, looked at myself and ... 34!I ran to tell my partner.I was not so scared of 34 but the speed of the descent, -210 in 40 minutes.The next thing was to take the sugar, I took a glass of water with three spoons of sugar, then a glass of juice with two other spoons of sugar, at 10 minutes I measure myself again and 28 !!!However, I already noticed something better, I took another glass of juice with two other spoons of sugar and a little less than 10 minutes later I had 55. An hour later I still did not go from 100. I had dinner without clicking and woke up with 156.I believe that the Lantus was absorbed very fast, because something almost identical happened to me again, also at night, I was in a mall, and I looked at myself and was in 260, I went to prick the lantus so that it would not continue to climb, becauseI already had, I didn't even get quick to correct, and at the time I was in 30 and peak, but this time I was not at home, thankfully it was inside the hypermarket.I had to sit in some boxes to eat the first thing I saw around, I thought I didn't go back.Since then, the Lantus only skewed at me at home (even if I cluster out, I hope to get home to put it on) and always very attentive after clicking it.

Carlos1979's profile photo
Carlos1979
05/02/2020 12:40 p.m.

I made the cross for that, I had beastly hypos around 30 or less having bedded well or- high.

meginer's profile photo
meginer
05/02/2020 5:31 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.