{'en': 'How to act if my partner suffers a downturn', 'es': 'Como actuar si mi pareja sufre un bajón'} Image

How to act if my partner suffers a downturn

rwpk9's profile photo   04/17/2020 11:31 p.m.

Hello good,

I am Gerard and I am new in this forum, I do not suffer diabetes but my partner yes.

Recently I bought a book to better understand the disease and know how to help and support it.And know that or not to do and with what security measures so to speak.

You are waiting for the arrival of the book today to my partner has given him a downturn (we do not live together) and has been unconscious, her mother has found her and she is the one who has called Emergencies.

Apparently upon the arrival of nurses my partner was in a serious state but they have been able to stabilize it.

For possible next situations in which it can happen again and you are with me, what should you do?

Some time ago I read that I have to call the emergency the first and then try to accommodate it and make it ingest sugar (they recommended a juice or water with sugar for example), but I have also read other versions more recently, saying that if this unconscious is bestPut the person aside, call emergencies and do nothing more than be by their side until they arrive so as not to worsen the situation.

What do you recommend?How should I act?

Thank you very much in advance!

rwpk9's profile photo
rwpk9
04/17/2020 11:31 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Good Gerard, who is happy to see how you involve helping and understanding your partner, I hope we can help you a lot for this forum.

Regarding your consultation, I don't know if your partner knows the glucagon kit, if you don't know it, I should do it, and if you know it, I should explain it to you so you can act.
The glucagon is a kit that includes a needle with a liquid solution and a boat with some dusts, which must be mixed and injectCall emergency services.This substance (glucagon) should raise your partner's sugar levels in about 15 minutes and she would wake up, being more or less out of serious danger, after this the medical services will arrive and stabilize it.
It is very important to have minimum a glucagon at home, and if you spend time in other houses, for example in yours, have another there, provided it can be inside the fridge.The glucagon can save your partner's life in case it again falls in an inco as a hypoglycemia, since those minutes are crucial in their life, if medical teams take too much who knows.

In the event that your partner is disoriented by a descent, but it has not been incantosted, you can give water with sugar, juices or soft drinks, or in the event that it costs a lot to swallow but continue to put it muddy under the tongue orIn general inside the mouth, so that little by little he swallows him and goes up, if at the 15 myinutes of doing this he does not improve he gives it sugary water or any of the other things that I have said and if you continue to see that noImprovement calls emergencies.

The most important thing is the glucagon, have it by hand and know how to use it, I recommend that both you and she report about it.

Macarena93's profile photo
Macarena93
04/18/2020 12:02 a.m.

Good Macarena!

Thank you very much for your very well explained information!

<Blockquote class = "quote" rel = "macarena93"

I have commented and if you have it, when we see each other again after the quarantine I would explain how to use it.

I will go through the forum to inform me more.
Thanks a lot!

rwpk9's profile photo
rwpk9
04/18/2020 2:11 a.m.

Tell him that his endocrine prescribes 2 or 3 glucagon, one for his house, another for yours and another for his work.
Eye!They expire with the months.
I have never had need and those who had expired, so I do not ask me to prescribe it to me.
Incosar or not, sugar under the tongue is what I recommend my endocrine.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
04/18/2020 10:22 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

@rwpk9, welcome to the forum.@Macarena93 has explained it to you very well.Here in Spain we are waiting with illusion that a new glucagon arrives.It is a nasal spray, our German partner has explained that they already sell it there, I think 200 euros.It is very easy to use and does not need cooling.
Greetings.

solaria's profile photo
solaria
04/18/2020 12:45 p.m.

Debut 46 â- 2012. DM1. Celiaquía e intolerancia lactosa. Anemia perniciosa.
MiniMed 640g + SmartGuard.

I put the link @rwpk9

Link

If your friend lives with her mother, she should learn to use glucagon.As you have told you, you ask for several.

Baqsimi is a newly commercialized basal glucagon much easier, but it is expensive and I don't know if SOC security in Spain will prescribe it.

It's very good that you learn things from diabetes and help your partner.In fact I at first ignore the disease a bit and it was my wife who gave me lessons!Then I have assimilated it and control it well.This forum helped me learn more and not ignore diabetes, because we have to learn to live day by day with diabetes.But I always comment with her and in fact "we agree" the insulin units that I put on.It is always a great help.

Remember that when your partner is a bit low of glucose, the character can be sorry and you can release some bad answer.Or send you directly to the m ... Don't take it into account!and give it a juice.

All the best

jldiazdel's profile photo
jldiazdel
04/18/2020 1:09 p.m.

DM1 desde Marzo 2018 (53 años). 7-10 unidades basal: Abasaglar (insulina glargina). NovoRapid. Factor 1.0/1.5.
Vivo en Alemania. CarboH total dia 70-80 gr. Deporte Gym todos dias L-V 1h-2 h
HbA1c 5,5% (Abril 2022)
Dexcom G6

Thank you @ruthbia and @solaria, I take note and inform me about the spray.

@jldiazdel I also at first ignored her a bit, in the sense that she already knows how to take her and such, although I once asked her to teach me to click and things like that.

I have been teaching me, I at first always tried to monitor what I ate telling him the typical "but you can eat that with diabetes" and things like that, but it has already been commenting on how everything works and how I calculate the insulin that has to be click.

Now I have decided to understand the disease well to try to help us lead a 100% normal life with caution and understand it in its day to day, apart from knowing what to do in risk situations.

Thank you very much!

rwpk9's profile photo
rwpk9
04/18/2020 9:06 p.m.

Link

DavidAG2000's profile photo
DavidAG2000
04/18/2020 10:03 p.m.

@rwpk9, never ask a diabetic, and can you eat that?
The diabetic will ask you for help when you need it, do not make an inspector!

solaria's profile photo
solaria
04/19/2020 11:57 a.m.

Debut 46 â- 2012. DM1. Celiaquía e intolerancia lactosa. Anemia perniciosa.
MiniMed 640g + SmartGuard.

A little sugar under the tongue, to recover the level.In case of doubt, sugar, hyperglycemic do not notice the dowers if, I always wear a sugar envelope in my pocket

Paco Iriarte Vañó's profile photo
Paco Iriarte Vañó
04/19/2020 12:01 p.m.

Gerar friend: First I congratulate him for being aware of his partner, he helps a lot and hinders he feels very well when they are pairing for the health of one.Many years ago, when I was not diabetic, nor did I know that this condition was going to get to me;The daughter of the person with whom I worked was diabetic one afternoon the Nña suffered a downturn of glycemia, her mother immediately gave her a spoonful of sugar and made her take half a can of Pepsicola: half an hour the girl was fine.At no time I am saying that the glucagon does not manage.I am answering her concern, also the Macarena93 companion had to see how important it is to alert our family environment of what our condition is, that can save your life.Greetings friend Gerard and my congratulations.

HERRERA 's profile photo
HERRERA
04/19/2020 10:44 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.