What is the correct way to prick the lancetas?

igarmo's profile photo   05/02/2020 3:53 p.m.

Good, this morning I have gone to click to measure glucose and forgot to wash my hands.I have left 211 at the time (I am pregnant and I must do it at the time) and then I have washed and dried them well because it seemed like a strange result and I have repeated the test 3 times more and values ​​of 100, 101, 102.

That has led me to think about the right way to measure myself.Normally, what I do is wash my hands with soap and water, dry them well and go to click.Sometimes, I have to squeeze my finger a little to get more blood, then squeeze my finger with a cotton and go to wash my hands with soap and water and dry.

I have read out there that it is preferable not to tighten my finger and wash with warm water and leave your fingers down so that the blood flows without having to tighten because squeezing can affect something at glucose levels, but in other places I have read that I do notNothing passed to squeeze gently.

How do you do it?What is the correct way for the meter to give you the most reliable result possible?Do you believe that it will vary a lot to tighten your fingers so that the blood comes out to not do it?Should I worry?(I'm afraid to have been doing badly).

Thank you so much.

igarmo's profile photo
igarmo
05/02/2020 3:53 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

I clarify that always change finger, lancet and reactive strip.Every time I punish me.

igarmo's profile photo
igarmo
05/02/2020 3:55 p.m.

@igarmo

The important thing is to wash your hands before (warm water helps improve blood fluidity) and also dry them well.A trick: if you can't wash your hands for whatever (a quick control on the street), you take a drop of blood, clean it with a wipe and press again and quickly remove another drop of blood.That you can already use for control.

If you squeeze for a good drop of blood to come out, nothing happens, as long as you do not contaminate the sample with your fingers.But if you have washed I don't see the problem.

You have to calculate in the lancet what level you suit you.That depends on each skin.I put it in 2.5.And with that and tightening a little with a good drop.

All the best

jldiazdel's profile photo
jldiazdel
05/02/2020 4:17 p.m.

DM1 desde Marzo 2018 (53 años). 7-10 unidades basal: Abasaglar (insulina glargina). NovoRapid. Factor 1.0/1.5.
Vivo en Alemania. CarboH total dia 70-80 gr. Deporte Gym todos dias L-V 1h-2 h
HbA1c 5,5% (Abril 2022)
Dexcom G6

In 18 years I have never washed my hands before a glycemia control.Of course I carry my hands clean, but I don't wash them before.After the prick m sucks the finger.I have never had problems.

Anaisabel's profile photo
Anaisabel
05/03/2020 9:35 a.m.

Thanks, guys!Anaisabel, although you will know much more about this disease than me, I would recommend that you wash them, not because of the possible dirt, but because that is demonstrated through scientific studies that can alter quite the glucose levels of the meter.Sometimes, we don't realize and we don't have dirty hands, but we have touched something before and the levels can be altered, not always, of course.

Greetings!

igarmo's profile photo
igarmo
05/03/2020 10:06 a.m.

I just like @anaisabel, I do not say that it is the most recommended but after 30 years of diabetes ... and of course I have never altered the measurements, which may be that it happens, I do not doubt it but I see it very unlikely

nigiri's profile photo
nigiri
05/03/2020 11:18 a.m.

DM1 desde 1990 - Fiasp y Toujeo - HG: 6,1

Well, I was almost ever washed, but I was sometimes altered by glucose levels, especially if you measure yourself after cooking, touching some food, etc.The thing is that you obviously realize because you get a value that does not fit and you wash it and do it again, but of course, you spend a reactive strip without need, so to avoid this if I can wash my hands and ifNot the trick of the droplet that has already counted @jldiazdel

Macarena93's profile photo
Macarena93
05/03/2020 4:45 p.m.

There each with their methods, but I do a very disciplined hygiene before measuring myself.

anif's profile photo
anif
05/03/2020 6:50 p.m.

DM2 (2019)

Man, let's see, I do not wash my hands if I have been washed before and I have not done anything like cooking, going to the bathroom, being on the street ... That's logic @macarena93, I will not be cutting onionAnd then click my finger ...

nigiri's profile photo
nigiri
05/04/2020 11:03 a.m.

DM1 desde 1990 - Fiasp y Toujeo - HG: 6,1

I usually suck my finger before clicking, like children.
I am a maniac and I always carry my hands clean (so it happens to me that the manicure does not last anything), but I still suck my finger, it dries it rubbing so that it enters heat and a good drop and skewer comes out.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
05/04/2020 11:30 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.