8mm vs 5mm needles for insulin

marine's profile photo   05/15/2020 9:59 p.m.

Hello good,

Well, I wanted to ask you if anyone has gone through it ..

Very recently, the needles have changed myself as I put in the title of the subject and the truth is that I see that it is worse ...

That I mean by this ... Well, although the puncture I notice less ... I also notice that it seems that insulin makes less effect in speed of absorption and in quantity of descent .. I give you an example ...

Before breakfast, 130 breakfast with 10 units of Humalog Mix50 and at 2h with 8mm = 180
Before breakfast, 130 breakfast with 10 units of Humalog Mix50 and at 2h with 5mm = 270

It has not been only one day but several and in several different situations and explaining it to the nurse insists that the 5mm are better under studies blah blah blah ... and when I explain this ... he tells me that if I haveThat putting more insulin to put it on ... something that I do not see for anything consistent because having to increase the dose because of a needle is that I do not understand it.

If I had only changed the absorption curve, I would have silent me but it is not just that, it is that after the total duration of the insulin put while one end with 120 ... with the other I ended over 200 ... come on badEvil of all ...

marine's profile photo
marine
05/15/2020 9:59 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

That is very weird the truth.I miss me a little that the needles affect you.

You will not have changed the insulin ball and now that insulin does not work well or is defective.Or does the ball work properly?

It can tb q coincides with the change of needles with an increase in factors.

I can't think of anything else

All the best

jldiazdel's profile photo
jldiazdel
05/16/2020 8:59 a.m.

DM1 desde Marzo 2018 (53 años). 7-10 unidades basal: Abasaglar (insulina glargina). NovoRapid. Factor 1.0/1.5.
Vivo en Alemania. CarboH total dia 70-80 gr. Deporte Gym todos dias L-V 1h-2 h
HbA1c 5,5% (Abril 2022)
Dexcom G6

I was now thinking that the best with the smallest needle the area in which the insulin stays now you have worse absorption.I don't know if that is possible.In that case it returns to the 8 mm needles.

I use even smaller needles of 4 mm and I am very good for me.But everyone has to see what needle they are better.

jldiazdel's profile photo
jldiazdel
05/16/2020 9:23 a.m.

DM1 desde Marzo 2018 (53 años). 7-10 unidades basal: Abasaglar (insulina glargina). NovoRapid. Factor 1.0/1.5.
Vivo en Alemania. CarboH total dia 70-80 gr. Deporte Gym todos dias L-V 1h-2 h
HbA1c 5,5% (Abril 2022)
Dexcom G6

Good @jldiazdel,

The insulin boli is the same, the tests are done mostly at breakfast that I have quite controlled because exactly the same breakfast and now being at home the variability of external factors are reduced.

I am also changing the areas where I punish myself to see how I react and it gives me the feeling that there are areas that do something better and areas that do not continue to think that it is where that insulin comes.

Theme of external factors such as lipodystrophy and others because I don't know what to say ... I carry with type 1 diabetes from the age of 15 and I already have 34.

marine's profile photo
marine
05/16/2020 12:45 p.m.

The same thing happened to me, not with such a difference in blood glucose but there was a difference.Upon taking so many years, the skin hardens and it is perfectly possible that it does not make you the same effect.In my case, I told the nurse and without problem, it continues to give me 8mm but if in your health center they no longer receive from 8mm, which can be that for what they have changed it, put a claim explaining whatIt happens to you.The 5mm needles are those used for children and for some strange reason now intend to use them all.They may be better for lipodystrophy but not all diabetics have neither the same skin, nor the same fat, nor the same "callus" after so many years.All the best.

nigiri's profile photo
nigiri
05/16/2020 1:12 p.m.

DM1 desde 1990 - Fiasp y Toujeo - HG: 6,1

I passed from 8 to 5 on the subject of lipodystrophies and it went well.Now I've been with 6 -cannula for years and also very well.But we must bear in mind that there are no diabetes but that we are people who suffer from diabetes.With this what I mean that although one thing works for 99.9% this does not mean anything.I have had problems with some famous "advisor" of the networks, which seem representatives and sell you the motorcycle.

carlos70's profile photo
carlos70
05/16/2020 5:04 p.m.

It is demonstrated that the 5 mm needles (generally) are ideal because they pass the skin without reaching the muscle, not to penetrate more mm, it is better.As a child they gave me 12 mm and that was a constant pain and bruises came out more easily.In your case, notice that it is not something punctual or the injection zone changes, sometimes, the areas greatly influence absorption

macarron_con_diabetes's profile photo
macarron_con_diabetes
05/17/2020 6:49 p.m.

DM1 desde Julio 1992 (con 11 años).
Bomba Medtronic 780G con Novorapid.
HbA1c: 5,9% (Octubre 2022), TIR 91%

Friend: If with the 8 mm needles I do better, because I use those, remember that each person is different, I miss the needles of 5 mm I live in Venezuela and they gave me in the Hospital Agujas of 2.5 g 1ml, they look like needles ofVaccinar horses: but right now nothing is found and you have to accept what comes.Greetings friend Alfredo from Venezuela.

HERRERA 's profile photo
HERRERA
05/17/2020 8:05 p.m.

Thank you all for your answers, at least I have a broader feedback of the wrong or not that it may be ..

I will continue testing and comment with the endocrine in the next consultation.

marine's profile photo
marine
05/17/2020 10:41 p.m.

I changed health system: mutual to public health a long time ago, and they changed everything, obviously, for example that they finally began to give me 5mm needles, I had always used 8 since I debuted and my endocrine did not want to change them becauseIt didn't seem important.What happened when changing them?That in the abdomen area where I always click me, I realized that I had light lipodystrafia light so with those of 5mm, it effectively had more insulin resistance, what was good?That with the 8mm I could not click on my thighs in any way because I got horrible bruises and much pain, with those of 5 without problem, I feel nothing.So simply change the area of ​​clicking and was solved, I blame it for the small lipodystrophies that I have more than the needle size.
It must also be taken into account that if you change your needle mm, the brand changed you, there are brands that give in some outpatients that are bad and do not inject the proper insulin or get stuck, maybe if you have changed the brand thisIt is what happens.

Macarena93's profile photo
Macarena93
05/18/2020 8:17 p.m.

Good @macarena93

The needle brand is BD "Thin Wall" are the same as the 8mm I have.It happens to me the same but in the belly with the 8mm it hurt and now not ... I am changing areas and it seems that it is also difficult to control this with quarantine because the physical activity I do now is minimal andThat in metabolism affects fabric

marine's profile photo
marine
05/19/2020 8:21 a.m.

To my 12mm are given my lately so I buy the 8mm in the pharmacy.The 5mm were also bad, I was insulin next to the skin and I made a lump and sometimes I didn't even enter.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
05/19/2020 9:25 a.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

I started with 12, then pass to 8 and now I use those of 5 ... when there are not 5 in the ambulatory lame those of 8 and sincerely I do not make a difference, but of course it is a very personal appreciation

rafa1959's profile photo
rafa1959
05/24/2020 7:13 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.