Insulin

Unachicacondt1's profile photo   04/04/2021 2:55 p.m.

Do you keep using insulin after a month, even if you have not finished?It is that there is something that I do not understand in the pen it puts that the expiration date is 09/2022 but the educators say k if in a month do not finish the insulin there is k throw it xq loses its effectiveness and take another new pen ... but then thenI think ... a month if the content of the pen is not finished, the garbage goes, and a waste would be ... and on top of throwing money at the trash, because insulinnad is not free.It will be another of the many "myths" k does diabetes have ??? 🤔

Unachicacondt1's profile photo
Unachicacondt1
04/04/2021 2:55 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

I use them until they end, pass or not.In theory they lose effectiveness, but I have not noticed anything.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
04/04/2021 5:28 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

@Unachicacondt1 have you read the prospect of insulin in question?

Alberto_13's profile photo
Alberto_13
04/04/2021 5:48 p.m.

DM3c desde 2018; hb 6 % (feb.. 2022) (tresiba+fiasp+metformina)

That loss of effectiveness is due to conservation.When we buy insulin we take the pen we need and the rest to the fridge.And it is for this reason that it is commented that the effectiveness is low, because the pen you use is not at a low temperature.

NiñaBurbuja's profile photo
NiñaBurbuja
04/05/2021 1:15 p.m.

T1 diagnosticada a los 24, tengo 31.
Además soy celiaca y con muchas alergias alimentarias, entre ellas profilina. Recientemente diagnosticada con hipotiroidismo también.

It only happens to me with the FIASP, which lasts more than a month since I use very little per day.The shot when a new month begins,

Anaisabel's profile photo
Anaisabel
04/05/2021 2:17 p.m.

In the prospect of the Abasaglar, it is thrown at 28 days, and I always have left over (I put 6 unid/day).
I dispose of the pen.
That nothing may happen, ok, but the possibility that the effect is not correct is not worth it.

isabelbota's profile photo
isabelbota
04/05/2021 9:53 p.m.

DM 2 con páncreas agotado desde diciembre 2020. 51 años entonces.
HG diciembre 2020: 15.9. Última HG: julio 2024 5.8
Abasaglar 9 unidades. Metformina, 1000/0/1000. Humalog junior: 2 unid en desayuno y luego en función de lo que coma.

I use them past the month and I have not noticed anything, really.

nigiri's profile photo
nigiri
04/05/2021 10:17 p.m.

DM1 desde 1990 - Fiasp y Toujeo - HG: 6,1

Per month of use they lose their effectiveness, as if you submit them to temperatures above 30 degrees.

etogonza's profile photo
etogonza
04/11/2021 11:05 a.m.

Summary (It is not easy to understand, I met an emergency nurse who did not understand):

- The expiration date of the box is to keep it in refrigerator, at 5-7 ºC.
- But at that temperature it has no effectiveness.Before injecting it, you must remove the pen from the refrigerator and put at room temperature.
- At room temperature, it begins to lose effectiveness in a month.Or less, if p.eg.You put it in a continuous infusion pump that is often attached to the body and therefore hotter than the environment.
- The "official" recommendation is to throw the pen after a month at room temperature, including insulin if you have left over.
- However, in all this there are wide security and inaccuracy intervals.Thus, as indicated in other answers, you can try a month and if you do not detect anything weird (lack of effect, glycemia increases), there is no problem using it.

Cristóbal Cortés's profile photo
Cristóbal Cortés
04/11/2021 12:23 p.m.

Each insulin has its times, read the prospects, cannot be generalized.

Tresiba 100 units/ml Injectable solution in preloaded pen

Once open or if it takes as a replacement, the medicine can be kept for a maximum of 8 weeks.Do not keep at a temperature exceeding 30 ° C.It can be kept in fridge (between 2 ° C and 8 ° C).Keep the pen with the cap put to protect it from light.

Alberto_13's profile photo
Alberto_13
04/11/2021 3:30 p.m.

DM3c desde 2018; hb 6 % (feb.. 2022) (tresiba+fiasp+metformina)

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.