{'en': 'Travel by plane with diabetes', 'es': 'Viajar en avión con diabetes'} Image

Travel by plane with diabetes

Xelbun's profile photo   08/09/2020 9:29 p.m.

Hello good!

I have never traveled by plane being diabetic and I would like to know where I should save insulin, needles and glucose meter.

And if they put some kind of problem or we must justify in some way that we have to carry that.

Thanks and greetings :)

Xelbun's profile photo
Xelbun
08/09/2020 9:29 p.m.

25 años DM MODY desde 01/02/2019
Última hemo: 4,9
Metformina y Gliclazida.
Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.

I have traveled by plane and what I do is that in the Siempro suitcase I have been sugar.Before storing it on the plane, I take them out (or put them in a bandit and that is what I take) and I have them with me throughout the trip.

I hope it is useful to you.
All the best.

DavidAG2000's profile photo
DavidAG2000
08/09/2020 10:22 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

@Xelbun here I leave Link to a topic that has enough information about traveling with diabetes, and links to other topics also very interesting to read.

Link

fer's profile photo
fer
08/09/2020 10:27 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

@Xelbun

Look at the link that has put you Fer.

In general, when you travel everything you carry related to diabetes with you.As hand luggage.I carry it in a small backpack.And of course, all double for security.It carries insulin, bolis, needles, etc. as if to be twice what you are really going to be.If you travel accompanied, what I do is that my wife has everything repeated as hand luggage.But you carry it.

You will not have any problems in the controls.If you stay quieter you can take a medical certificate for travel.They have never asked me.No one invented that it has diabetes or carries insulin and needles for pleasure!

Have a good trip

jldiazdel's profile photo
jldiazdel
08/10/2020 6:46 p.m.

DM1 desde Marzo 2018 (53 años). 7-10 unidades basal: Abasaglar (insulina glargina). NovoRapid. Factor 1.0/1.5.
Vivo en Alemania. CarboH total dia 70-80 gr. Deporte Gym todos dias L-V 1h-2 h
HbA1c 5,5% (Abril 2022)
Dexcom G6

I have asked me that and tbm if I had to travel outside Spain, to another country, how would it be?Does anyone know it? Greetings.

Esperanza18's profile photo
Esperanza18
08/10/2020 8:27 p.m.

Just as some colleagues have already commented on this soil forum. I have twice the double insulin, needles, strips, etc. which I need in my hand luggage.I also always carry a medical report in English in which it is indicated that I need to inject insulin.
I have never had problems traveling by plane with insulin or controls either.The only requirement they ask us is that it goes in the liquid sachet, but there is usually enough space.With a single bag I have taken enough insulin for a month.

lydiab's profile photo
lydiab
08/14/2020 1:29 a.m.

Lydia
@Diabeteandosince1996
DT1 Desde 1996
Levemir + Humalog junior

I am diabetic 25 years ago, I constantly travel by plane, I have never had problems to carry my insulin and medications with me.There are refrigerant cases in which you can comfortably carry your insulin and syringes, I also wear alcohol wipes that sell you in small envelopes.You can take pen insulin, which is usually more practical when it is travel.On some occasion I forgot to refrigerate my case and requested the ice hostess to keep the insulin cold.What is extremely important is that you take into account that when you travel it is almost impossible to feed you properly, so you should always bring some food that allows you to keep your glycemia at the right levels.Very important, control your stress, because this is a factor that usually alter your levels.Enjoy your trip.

MARIZUJIMENEZH's profile photo
MARIZUJIMENEZH
08/14/2020 4:42 a.m.

@Xelbun, in airports there is no problem.For insulin, remember that if you go for less than a month you do not need to refrigerate the insulin, since it endures up to 28 days.
And you can carry your things in any bag.
Have a good trip.

solaria's profile photo
solaria
08/16/2020 1:44 a.m.

Debut 46 â- 2012. DM1. Celiaquía e intolerancia lactosa. Anemia perniciosa.
MiniMed 640g + SmartGuard.

You have to carry an endocrine report at least I have come out several times to Latin America and if they have asked me and the insulin glucometer etc in hand luggage

Miriam Perez Martinez's profile photo
Miriam Perez Martinez
08/16/2020 4:34 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.