{'en': 'Hiking and diabetes 1', 'es': 'Senderismo y diabetes 1'} Image

Hiking and diabetes 1

Ricki21's profile photo   05/03/2021 12:53 p.m.

Hello everyone,

I really like to do excursions, but as soon as I start walking, I have to peck every hour or hour and a half to avoid hypoglycemia.

Eating so often while I exercise is somewhat annoying.

I have also noticed that the basal insulin that I inject at night acts faster (I put it in the thigh), and at the end of the afternoon my sugar level begins to rise, arriving high at dinner time.

If someone likes excursions or long walks, I would like him to share his tricks.

Ricki21's profile photo
Ricki21
05/03/2021 12:53 p.m.

DM1 desde 1982: Toujeo+Novorapid

Hello good,

It is complicated to help you but tell us what treatment you carry ... and I do not understand very well what you mean with the basal is much faster.

marine's profile photo
marine
05/03/2021 1:07 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

@Marine Toujeo 11 and Fiasp 2--3-2

Ricki21's profile photo
Ricki21
05/03/2021 1:20 p.m.

I also use toujeo and I don't have those problems, the effect is more or less the same during the 24 hours.The puncture zone if you can influence, if you put it in an area that you are going to exercise, insulin may make more effect.
Try at the upper buttock, where it joins the back that there is some fat.I always wear it there.
In addition to that I would tell you to look if the dose has well adjusted.To know look how glucose behaves during fasting hours, especially at night that is when they spend more hours without eating.I would have to remain stable, if you go down it is that you have to get less dose of slow.
And then when you go out of hiking try not to have active quickly or if you have it less dose.For example if you go out in the morning just after breakfast, put less dose of fast at breakfast.Active insulin exercise makes it more effect.You will have to see how much you have to lower the dose.If you now put on 2 I would try 1 and if you continue with descents, do not put anything quickly.
Fast insulin takes effect for about 4 hours although the largest effect does it at the beginning and from 2 hours it is already doing less effect.If you leave 4 hours from the time you eat until you go out to walk then the rapid is no longer acting.

Yessica_A's profile photo
Yessica_A
05/03/2021 1:40 p.m.

DM1 desde 2003 | Toujeo + Humalog | FreeStyle 2 | HbA1c 5.5

Well @ricki21 basically what @yessica_a tells you, anyway since I also have little with the treatment you carry but use Humalog instead of fiasp what I see is that having basal, there is no choice but to supplement with hydrates during hydrates duringThe exercise, I see it annoying as well as you and what you have to find is something that does well juice or similar.

If anyone has any better solution I am everything ears.

marine's profile photo
marine
05/03/2021 3:40 p.m.

Thank you very much for your comments

Ricki21's profile photo
Ricki21
05/03/2021 3:54 p.m.

ricki21 said:
hello to all: I really like to do excursions but it is to walk and have to start pecking every hour or hour and a half to avoid hypos.Going frequently when you are exercising it is somewhat annoying.High to dinner.If someone likes excursions or long walks, I would like to tell me their tricks.

I love hiking, I tell you what I do, then I do not use quickly, the day I get reduced by the Basal Tresiba) between 2-6 u.And I do not take the metformin, according to between 16-28 km., The breakfast to the beast, I even took the opportunity to eat buns or cakes, the macuto full of sweets, juices of these of 200-250 ml with straw, you do not have to stopTo take them and you can consume them instead of water, I have glucose gels for the balls of the cyclists, in case the hypo and the slopes are fatter than expected and of course if there is no scheduled stop in bar or restaurant, snack, snack ofWhat I like the most, chorizo ​​with cheese, bacon, potato omelette etc ...Above, without having a clear, for that the sensor or in my case the glucometer, that is my experience, but an hypo in the middle of not knows where the path to you and those who accompany you are bitter

Alberto_13's profile photo
Alberto_13
05/03/2021 3:55 p.m.

DM3c desde 2018; hb 6 % (feb.. 2022) (tresiba+fiasp+metformina)

@Ricki21 @marine
I think there are not many magical formulas in our case.Yes, it's a bit annoying!
I do what Yesssics comments.Adjusted down the quick if I am going to walk and I think I will have some active insulin.How much ?It is to try.In my case, for example, an hour of walking after breakfast (quick insulin is still active), saves me 1.5 u of insulin.Sometimes it works and sometimes not.Ah if I am on the route and how, then under the rapid in almost three units of what would correspond to me.He already gave me a strong hypo in the field.And if I don't have an active insulin, I always have some fast carbohydrates for security when I do sports at noon.Normally I need about 5 gr.But with the sensor there is not much problem.
In general, walk, except that you make a very hard 6 -hour route, it should not affect you to the basal.I do not move it for walking.But if I do a lot of sports and in a slightly stronger plan than usual, then I have to lower a unit, in my case, the basal.
Note: When you hiking you can take advantage of glucose drops to take what you like the most.In winter I take pieces of Turron!I love it.

jldiazdel's profile photo
jldiazdel
05/03/2021 4:06 p.m.

DM1 desde Marzo 2018 (53 años). 7-10 unidades basal: Abasaglar (insulina glargina). NovoRapid. Factor 1.0/1.5.
Vivo en Alemania. CarboH total dia 70-80 gr. Deporte Gym todos dias L-V 1h-2 h
HbA1c 5,5% (Abril 2022)
Dexcom G6

To me is that the threeiba at 3-4 hours gives me low, and more if I exercise

Alberto_13
05/03/2021 6:27 p.m.

<Blockquote class = "quote" rel = "Alberto_13"

Have you tried toujeo?

marine's profile photo
marine
05/03/2021 6:30 p.m.

Yes, but it gave me the same allergy as to the son of @Elisa74 and they changed me to threeiba, and that the toujeo was phenomenal

Alberto_13
05/03/2021 6:33 p.m.

@Ricki21, what time do you put the slow?
If you tend to be high in the afternoon and if you go up doses, you go down at night, maybe it would be better to put it in the morning ..

Regina's profile photo
Regina
05/04/2021 4:52 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.