{'en': 'Hello !I am new and it seems that insulin does not work', 'es': 'Hola ! Soy nueva y parece que la insulina no funciona'} Image

Hello !I am new and it seems that insulin does not work

rali's profile photo   12/08/2020 2:30 p.m.

Hello everyone.

We are new in this and I have been reading the forum until in the end I have decided to register.

My husband seems like type 2 diabetes for 3 years.We have been with oral medication until recently the doctor has changed the medication and now takes metformin 3 times a day and is punished insulin at night.

Well, we start with slow insulin in October, 14u, doing controls with the nurse every 2 weeks.At first, we managed to maintain the right levels except for one or two occasional peaks.

In the last control they indicated to continue 2 weeks more like this despite the peaks to see how it was going and this last week we were already indicated to 16u.We have been with the same diet and exercise as before and fails to get off the 180s. One day is in 250, another 270, 207 and so ...

We no longer know what to do.Fulfill the specified diet, it does not eat anything that does not put in it even though it almost always says that you stay hungry.

We kept the insulin in the refrigerator, so they indicated and takes it out a few minutes before putting it on, but I have read that the PEN in use must be kept at room temperature.

How should we do it, in the refrigerator or outside?

In addition, it always clicks on the stomach, although it is rotating sideways.

Should I also click on the leg, in order to give more rest to the stomach area?

I have a thousand questions the truth and I don't know where to start.The doctor always tells us that we are doing something wrong and does not meet the diet but it is not.

Thank you!

rali's profile photo
rali
12/08/2020 2:30 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Welcome to the @Rali forum, I'm glad you have decided to write, let's see if we can clear those doubts!

On insulin, I try to keep the bolis always in the fridge, although when I am away from home they endure well at room temperature, except in summer if it's very hot.

The recommendation is that, it is not that once you start using the ball, you don't have to put it in the fridge, the other way around, whenever you can, keep it at fridge temperatures.;)

On the injection point, it is advisable to rotate the areas, you can combine legs and stomach, so do not accumulate, although that should not significantly affect glucose levels, at most, at the time of reaction of it.

It is also important sport, does any kind of exercise do?

A hug and encouragement !!

fer's profile photo
fer
12/08/2020 3:06 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

@Fer, in 20 years I have never left the ball in the fridge.If I had to be in the fridge we could not move from home.For the summer I have it the same at the kitchen countertop and when I go out in the cold portfolio.
Welcome, @Rali.

Anaisabel's profile photo
Anaisabel
12/08/2020 4:49 p.m.

I normally carry it on top, but with these months of confinement and being at home, if I can keep it in the fridge, although as you comment, it is not essential, much less!Unless the temperature is high.;)

fer's profile photo
fer
12/08/2020 4:54 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Thank you very much for the warm welcome!

@Fer, yes, go out to walk about 4-5km every day with our puppy, the walk never jumps.

Thanks for the clarification about insulin and the puncture area.
As much as we turn it, however, we do not manage to explain to the change.Its regime is the same, however glucose levels now with 16U are greater than when it put 14U.Should we consult with the doctor and increase the dose again?Although as I commented before, until now they only tell us that we are doing wrong.What we do not get is to find what.

rali's profile photo
rali
12/08/2020 4:54 p.m.

@Rali

You can follow the three -day rule.Increase slow insulin in one or two units, but don't change it for three days.Have patience.And since he always eats more or less the same, you will check if it works after three days with controls.If it does not work you would have to increase the dose and wait another three days.If that doesn't work, go to the endocrine!

jldiazdel's profile photo
jldiazdel
12/08/2020 6:35 p.m.

DM1 desde Marzo 2018 (53 años). 7-10 unidades basal: Abasaglar (insulina glargina). NovoRapid. Factor 1.0/1.5.
Vivo en Alemania. CarboH total dia 70-80 gr. Deporte Gym todos dias L-V 1h-2 h
HbA1c 5,5% (Abril 2022)
Dexcom G6

I have similar treatment, what basal insulin do you use? What time does it put it on?

Alberto_13's profile photo
Alberto_13
12/08/2020 10 p.m.

DM3c desde 2018; hb 6 % (feb.. 2022) (tresiba+fiasp+metformina)

alberto_13 said:
I have similar treatment, what basal insulin do you use?

Hi @Alberto_13, USA HUMULINA KWIK PEN, he puts it at 9pm always.

@jldiazdel Thank you very much for the information.We will try.
We are thinking of trying with an endocrine in private.You have gone privately
time for diabetes?Could someone recommend any in Murcia?
In all this time the header doctor has not sent us to see an endocrine.

rali's profile photo
rali
12/08/2020 10:40 p.m.

Under my modesty opinion it is not using the appropriate, it is the change of endocrine there are very good basal insulins and that last 24 hours or more, the most modern is the toujeo and with the metformin it is great, by the way 3x850 of metformin is a buried I doI take it I die of the ephetes I get a daily way 0.5-0-0.5

Alberto_13
12/08/2020 11:15 p.m.

I also believe that he needs a treatment scheduled by an endocrine and an insulin that lasts 24 hours.
I think the one who uses does not have so much duration ..
You do not have to be doing anything wrong, but if you have high values ​​you need more insulin.
That an endocrine see it.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
12/09/2020 5:45 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Thank you very much @Alberto_13 and @regina.We will follow your advice and go to see an endocrine.
We were already desperate, we didn't know what is wrong.

@Alberto_13 What side effects causes metformin, if it is not indiscreet to ask for me?

rali's profile photo
rali
12/09/2020 3:10 p.m.

rali said:
thank you very much @alberto_13 and @regina.We will follow your advice and go to see an endocrine.
We were already desperate, we didn't know what is wrong.

@Alberto_13 What side effects causes metformin, if it is not indiscreet to ask for me?

Nausea who over time has been happening, but with diarrhea and weight loss I have been two years, so the last time the endo reduced the metformin to the minimum and it seems that I am going better

Alberto_13
12/09/2020 5:43 p.m.

Uff!Metformin killed my stomach.I was fatal for the 4 days I took it when the debut.Forty stomach pains, reluctant, dizziness .... horrifying.

Private it is easy to get an appointment with endocrine, or the difficult thing is the SS.
You need to do a good study and see if you need another basal insulin or perhaps something quick and meals

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
12/10/2020 8:42 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Hello, how good you are already in this forum, you always have to take the advice with due reservation.Almost 26 years ago I am type 2 diabetic, during this time I have cared for a lot, I still do not present important complications thanks to it.
I tell you that it is essential to go with the endocrinologist for your husband's care, many general doctors lack knowledge to give adequate care to the diabetic patient.It is a complicated disease that is different in each patient, and even more, which is different every day in the same patient.
You do not tell us how old your husband is, that is very important since it gives us data on how the disease has evolved.
In diabetes there are 3 factors has taken into account: food, exercise and medication, in that order.In type 2 diabetes, maintain an ideal pesos solve the problem, since this type of diabetes is closely linked to the accumulation of interstitial fat (the one that covers each cell), this fat acts as an impermeable and prevents theinsulin is received by the cell properly.In addition, in patients of a certain age, insulin quality decreases.So we face two complications ... Insulin does not enter the cell well and the one that enters may not have the necessary quality to make glucose transform into energy.
A proper diet will allow us to remain in weight and that the cells do not accumulate fat.
The exercise is an important factor in this triad, since when exercising we are sending we generate heat and the fat burns but in addition, within the cell there are elements called mitochondria that are responsible for converting glucose into energy, it is shown that withThe constant exercise occurs more mitochondria, which efficient this process.Taking the dog for a walk is not an appropriate exercise for a diabetic, so that walking produces a positive effect should be done as an energetic exercise, this is taking large steps, at good speed to make the muscles heat up.Diabetics need 30 minutes of energetic and dedicated exercise to see positive results.
Medication: specifically metformin, this drug has several functions, one is to help the cells absorb insulin by raising the sensitivity of muscles and tissues, the liver capacity decreases to manufacture glucose and the absorption of glucose in the intestines.
The dose that the doctor is sent 850 mgs 3 times a day, is the maximum dose that can be prescribed, this is doing because your husband is not managing to control their glucose levels, although to be sincere your levels are not alarming, that is whyYou have to go with an endocrinologist.
On the other hand, I can perceive that they are distressed, which is not good, since stress is an important factor for glucose levels to rise, that your husband tries to relax, maintaining a good mood is something important forcontrol your illness.It would be convenient for some kind of relaxation therapy to practice: Yoga, Tai Chi, meditation.As I tell you, the levels at which they are being handled are not critical and perhaps it is only due to the state of anguish in which we all find ourselves.
To inject insulin you always have to rotate the application sites: abdomen, legs, buttocks, arms, since in some patients with insulin resistance, there is a reaction that makes fatty tissue forms around the application site, soWe can see very thin patients who have a prominent abdomen thanks to this effect.
I suggest you read a lot, they are informed, look for self -help groups that send them more information, today they are very active in social networks, through conferences via web.I am in Mexico, here there is the Mexican Federation ofDiabetes that provide us with important advice and information for the control of our disease.You can follow her via the Internet.
Something that is essential, is that your husband is the one who takes control of his condition, I know that you want it and wish to do miracles so that he heals but it is the patient who must attend himself.
Finally, insulin should always be in refrigeration, more if it is of human origin, if the patient has to leave it is important to get a refrigerant porter that helps him keep it in an optimal state.If they are using an analogous insulin type, go to the instructions that come in the packaging.
Even with diabetes, the patient can lead a normal life, if you are going to change you but you have to adapt and be attached to treatment.

MARIZUJIMENEZH's profile photo
MARIZUJIMENEZH
12/10/2020 11:48 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.