Doubts about insulin administration

rali's profile photo   02/17/2021 1:33 p.m.

Hello everyone !

My husband has type 2 diabetes and is taking metformin 850g 3 times a day and is punished insulin, Humulina Kwikpen, 18u at night.
We started with 14, but according to the doctor's instructions we were increasing the dose with 2U if it had high sugar 3 days in a row.
Well, it has been a couple of weeks since there are days that give it very strong sweats at night, to the point of leaving the sheets completely wet.I have called the GP to consult, it turns out that they have changed it to us and the doctor who is now tells me that at night the sugar is taken before dinner, and if the values ​​are by around the 300 that the insulin is not administered.That manages it only if it is above 325, that is 400 or 500 or so.

I don't understand anything ... the previous doctor never told us this.Is this how it really should be done?And how do you decide the dose you have to wear?The 2 doctors are giving us totally different treatment guidelines ....

rali's profile photo
rali
02/17/2021 1:33 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hello, how can it be to tell you if the values ​​touch 300, then do it put insulin?It is not consistent.
If you use basal, as I see what is the case, it must be every day.
Maybe metformin and NPH at night is a lot and that causes night hypoglycemia.
It would be better that an endocrine saw it, I think the doctors think they escape their domain

vanessa30's profile photo
vanessa30
02/17/2021 3:26 p.m.

You better go to an endocrine because values ​​of 300 are very high and end up causing long -term complications.They have to put a treatment to be in normal glucose values ​​(70-120) most of the time.
Sweats are a symptom of hypoglycemia, perhaps because the dose is very high or eats every day a different amounts of hydrates.It may also be that if you maintain those high values ​​for a long time, you notice hypoglycemia symptoms when it really is fine.Normalizing glucose those symptoms disappear and only occur when it is really very low.Anyway when you notice those symptoms that glucose is measured and if it is low you have to eat sugar, juice or similar.
But the most important thing is that you look for an endocrine, diabetes is complicated to manage and head doctors have no idea.With pills they can still manage it but insulin is dangerous and someone who knows.

Yessica_A's profile photo
Yessica_A
02/17/2021 5:32 p.m.

DM1 desde 2003 | Toujeo + Humalog | FreeStyle 2 | HbA1c 5.5

Hello!

Thanks for the answers.It is what I did not quite understand, from the beginning they told us that I had to put it every night and now this ...
On an empty stomach, it does not usually have such high values, it is usually in the 80 - 120 and very occasionally guesses a jump to 200 and peak.
I will do what you tell me and look for an endocrine to see it, because with the header it is impossible to understand what needs to be done.

rali's profile photo
rali
02/17/2021 6:02 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.