First day at home and first error

elisa74's profile photo   03/02/2021 4:54 p.m.

Hello everyone, yesterday I introduced myself, my 14 -year -old son debuted on Friday with a type 1 diabetes, today they have already discharged us and the first on the forehead ... We have arrived home at 13h, I have put myselfPrepare the food that they have indicated in the hospital, about 14h the blood glucose has beengoes for the pen and surprise ... they have given us both feathers without needle !!!I have been blocked, I did not know what to do, my husband said that he began to eat already but in the hospital they have told me that the insulin always before eating ... total I have taken him running to the health center and there they have given us100 needles and has been punctured right there, and at 5 minutes I was already eating, that was about 14: 45h, I have now measured (16: 30h) the blood glucose to control it and is in 187, ... Is it a factnormal at the hour and a half of having put insulin and eating?, had to have given him a sugar envelope or something before going to the health center right?What a donkey I am ...
By the way, says my son who sometimes notes as a little blurred vision, this is for diabetes or has nothing to do with diabetes?
Thanks for helping me, I am a sea of ​​doubts right now ...

elisa74's profile photo
elisa74
03/02/2021 4:54 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

@Elisa74

Calm !You are starting.It is not that you are donkeys!It is complicated at the beginning.

Glycemia after eating measured her at two or three hours.Not before.It depends a lot on food.If you take a meal with proteins and fats that will delay the digestion of carbohydrates and then glycemia will upload later.Keep in mind.Well and with your age is the problem of hormones.That will suffer at night and a few days !!My nephew started with 8 years and my brother and his wife got up every three hours at night!A horror.That has changed a lot.The sensor will be vital.Sometimes they fail!But it is a world.I have started very old and the first weeks put the alarm clock every three hours to control the blood glucose.He panicked hypoglycemia.

I imagine that they have given you tables of carbohydrate rations and explained the different types of carbohydrates.That is vital.Buy a book.You have to weigh all the food and tell the rations very well.You will get nutrition experts.But it is important that he learns.It is very important that he learns to count rations.That is vital.Then he will do it visually.It is important that he learns and knows that a medium apple is a ration.Every breakfast, food, dinner is for (and you) learning time.Write everything.Hours, meals etc.At first it is very useful.Then you won't need you.

The view is affected at the beginning due to excess blood glucose.In a few weeks or so it will happen.It is normal.It has happened to us all.

Cheer up

jldiazdel's profile photo
jldiazdel
03/02/2021 5:15 p.m.

DM1 desde Marzo 2018 (53 años). 7-10 unidades basal: Abasaglar (insulina glargina). NovoRapid. Factor 1.0/1.5.
Vivo en Alemania. CarboH total dia 70-80 gr. Deporte Gym todos dias L-V 1h-2 h
HbA1c 5,5% (Abril 2022)
Dexcom G6

The blurred vision is normal at the beginning of insulin treatment, until the lens adapts to controlled glucose.
The food schedules do not have to be rigid if they have put a slow flat.What insulins do you use?
With 70 before eating, it is very good., Peró, between meals, 70 would be to take a juice, if you are going to move and walk later ..
180 two hours after eating, it is not high, but it can be adjusted a little more if slow insulin is flat.
Little by little .., do not overwhelm, that this takes time to control it and over time is learning a lot.
It is learning to make insulin adjustments, to make corrections when you are high or low .., to know the effect of meals and insulin, and fears are being lost because hypoglycemia can be stopped without any problem, with a juice or juicea cocacola ..
Little by little life is normalized.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
03/02/2021 5:19 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Thank you very much to both of you, the insulin you use is Humalog and then the lantus solostar for the "slow", the slow one puts it before dinner apart from the other.
Yes, they have explained to us about HC's rations, this afternoon we have gone to make the two and we have been 2 hours because we read the tags of all hahaa
This is going to be the first night at home alone, the endocrine has told me that at the moment I have to measure glycemia at 00h and 4h, but that it is only control, I hope they give normal values ​​or I will not sleep inAll the night that I know !!

elisa74's profile photo
elisa74
03/02/2021 11:43 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

@Elisa74 to my path like you.
I went out at 1:00 at dawn with the insulin recipe, I arrived home after all day in the hospital without eating and ... there were no needles!I ran to the pharmacy and they told me that they did not give them, I went to Emergency again and there they gave me theirs that are not for feathers, I had to take out the insulins and calculate the proportions.

The vision recovers in 15 days.

You son have to measure the glucose before eating and 2 hours later, so you learn how food works and each type of food.
Sign up the diet of rations that you give you to learn.With the months the fear is lost and one eats what he wants and the amount he wants.I take about 4 months to "become independent" of the diet.

The best thing is that they put the Abbott's flash system, there you don't have to crush your fingers.The sensor measures the glucose 24 hours and reads it every time you pass the reader or mobile.

Encouragement, soon you will have overcome 10!

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
03/03/2021 9:20 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Eye with the gluconometers, I both and of different brands that I have used had an error of less 15-20 %, proven when I do the blood tests.

Alberto_13's profile photo
Alberto_13
03/03/2021 12:47 p.m.

DM3c desde 2018; hb 6 % (feb.. 2022) (tresiba+fiasp+metformina)

It's true !
The glucometer also has an error and is officially approved, I have sometimes measured on a finger to contrast the sensor and gave me a reading and then because I did not cut me much on another finger, to make sure and an surprise ah: a difference of 10-15 mg of reading.And it is not the same to go to bed in 90 Q in 75 !!I have always stayed with the reading that I have considered better :) even though I have sometimes click on another finger.Especially if I was in the low zone!

jldiazdel's profile photo
jldiazdel
03/03/2021 2:13 p.m.

DM1 desde Marzo 2018 (53 años). 7-10 unidades basal: Abasaglar (insulina glargina). NovoRapid. Factor 1.0/1.5.
Vivo en Alemania. CarboH total dia 70-80 gr. Deporte Gym todos dias L-V 1h-2 h
HbA1c 5,5% (Abril 2022)
Dexcom G6

Hi Elisa,

Do not worry, we have been out of the hospital for 1 month and we have also made mistakes!
On the value of 70 before eating, we have given us a guideline in which if you are below 90, you first start eating and after 15-20 minutes the insulin is punched, so you avoid that it goes down more.So nothing happens if when it is under first it starts eating and then clicks.And when it is high, vice versa.
I give you another advice to prevent what happened to me last week: that the slow insulin and the fast insulin are put in different places, and keep them in different places.We were confused and one day he put 8 units of fast instead of slow, and we wanted to die ...!We solve it with juices, milk, cookies ... and being awake much of the night ... but we get a tremendous scare.
To the rations you are taking the quiet, little by little.I already start learning the weight and portions of what he eats most often (rice, pasta, potato, bread, fruit, etc.), and little by little it costs less.Print you tables on the Internet, they are very useful!With the theme more or less controlled meals and the sensor that warns you with the alarms, you will control everything ...
Anything, here we are.

Nuka

nuka's profile photo
nuka
03/04/2021 10:45 a.m.

Hijo de 10 años con DT1 desde enero de 2021
Humalog y Abasaglar (noche)
Primera HbA1c tras el debut de 5,8% (Mayo 2021)
Freestyle Libre 2

Hello Elisa !!!First calm.The vision recovers although it debuts with 56 years I am 1 lada was terrified.I had big differences.They will learn to eat and do not forget that each body metabolizes different.Pope like pasta if they cooked and cooled in refrigerator 4 to 5 hours impact less.We must always try to have vegetables on the plate but he is a teenager and should not be easy.Legumes are very good !!!!And you have varieties.There are internet sites that help you know how to count CH.I don't know if I can pass links here but look at Roche's site, I diabetes and many more.There are days that we believe we cannot with this and others are superheroes.I had to stop using the sensors since here (Argentina) do not enter more than those of Abbott and the first and fail very badly.I click my fingers again.Here I am for what you need.

Clau's profile photo
Clau
03/07/2021 3:51 p.m.

Diabetes Lada 1 desde 2018
Toujeo 16 U
Fiasp según conteo de CH
HG 6.5%
Freestyle

alberto_13 said:

I use accouchek and the difference is +/- 2% when I compare with laboratory studies.They are very exact.

matrix's profile photo
matrix
03/07/2021 9:16 p.m.

Desde México. DB2. Metformina c/ 12hrs. No insulina. HCG22/02/21: 9.0. HCG 18/04/21: 7.4

elisa74 said:
hello everyone, yesterday I introduced myself, my 14 -year -old son debuted Friday with a type 1 diabetes, today they have already discharged us and the first on the forehead ..We have come home at 1:00 pm, I have prepared the food that they have indicated in the hospital, about 14h glycemia has been measured and gave 70, I have scared myself a lot, as I had the food prepared I have told him, click the insulin and eat immediately ... the child goes for the pen and surprise ... have given us both feathers without needle !!!I have been blocked, I did not know what to do, my husband said that he began to eat already but in the hospital they have told me that the insulin always before eating ... total I have taken him running to the health center and there they have given us100 needles and has been punctured right there, and at 5 minutes I was already eating, that was about 14: 45h, I have now measured (16: 30h) the blood glucose to control it and is in 187, ... Is it a factnormal at the hour and a half of having put insulin and eating?, had to have given him a sugar envelope or something before going to the health center right?What a donkey I am ...
By the way, says my son who sometimes notes as a little blurred vision, this is for diabetes or has nothing to do with diabetes?
Thanks for helping me, I am a sea of ​​doubts right now ...

Here in the Forum they will give you many tips.Glucose after food is measured at 2 hours.Not before.

By the way, the issue of view I have heard that it is normal when insulin begins to be used

matrix's profile photo
matrix
03/07/2021 9:16 p.m.

Desde México. DB2. Metformina c/ 12hrs. No insulina. HCG22/02/21: 9.0. HCG 18/04/21: 7.4

matrix said:
alberto_13 said:
eye with glucometers, I both and different brands that I used had an error of less the 15-20%, proven when I do blood analysis.

I use accouchek and the difference is +/- 2% when I compare with laboratory studies.They are very exact.

You leave me with stone, I tb used the action and that precision passes me

Alberto_13's profile photo
Alberto_13
03/07/2021 10:04 p.m.

DM3c desde 2018; hb 6 % (feb.. 2022) (tresiba+fiasp+metformina)

clau said:
hello elisa !!!First calm.The vision recovers although it debuts with 56 years I am 1 lada was terrified.I had big differences.They will learn to eat and do not forget that each body metabolizes different.Pope like pasta if they cooked and cooled in refrigerator 4 to 5 hours impact less.We must always try to have vegetables on the plate but he is a teenager and should not be easy.Legumes are very good !!!!And you have varieties.There are internet sites that help you know how to count CH.I don't know if I can pass links here but look at Roche's site, I diabetes and many more.There are days that we believe we cannot with this and others are superheroes.I had to stop using the sensors since here (Argentina) do not enter more than those of Abbott and the first and fail very badly.I click my fingers again.Here I am for what you need.

Clau's profile photo
Clau
03/08/2021 12:54 a.m.

Diabetes Lada 1 desde 2018
Toujeo 16 U
Fiasp según conteo de CH
HG 6.5%
Freestyle

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.