New technology, an implant for D1 diabetics.

Pablo Asturianin's profile photo   08/04/2021 6:36 p.m.

I have encountered this news, a hope for all of us.We are close to being able to live calmly.Cheer up!The time will come!
Two United States scientific teams are working on an implant manufactured with 3D printing capable of detecting blood glucose level and supplying insulin.

Link

Pablo Asturianin's profile photo
Pablo Asturianin
08/04/2021 6:36 p.m.

Tengo diabetes desde el martes 9 de junio del 2020. Tipo 1.
Llevo el FREESTYLE Desde el 30 de Julio. Todo muy bien, con subidas y bajadas pero aprendiendo a controlarme más cada día. Gracias por el foro.
Share on Twitter

Someone who can read it to copy and paste the information;)

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
08/04/2021 8:55 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

The miniaturization that has been achieved in the wearable world is resulting in some medical projects focused on ending some problems derived from diseases such as diabetes.Only in Spain, and according to the Spanish Diabetes Federation, there are more than 5 million people with this pathology in which technology has focused a lot in recent years.

An important number of them are related to the development of implants (whether internal or external) capable of providing the dose of fair insulin at the right time.One of the last to appear comes directly from a team of researchers and bioengineers from the Rice University, in the Texana city of Houston (United States).

There, it started 3 years ago a project that has resulted in a manufactured device using 3D printers and intelligent biomaterials that promises to become a turning point for diabetics.

Implant against diabetes
The project consists of two teams of scientists led by Omid Veiseh and Jordan Miller who have worked in the field of 3D printing and that of biomaterials.The first has been developing these types of materials for more than a decade in order to protect implants from the immune system, a branch that will be key to the device they just presented.

For its part, Miller has been investigating techniques for printing 3D fabrics that include vasculature or nets of blood vessels for more than 15 years.The conjunction of the work of both equipment has resulted in a device that "will use Beta cells of insulin from human stem cells", as a more natural method and away from other implants made of plastic.

The objective of both teams is that this small device is able to detect and regulate blood glucose levels by providing the "correct amount of insulin", as indicated by Rice University in a statement.

"If we really want to synthesize what a pancreas normally does, we need vasculature," said Veiseh."And that is the purpose of this subsidy with JDRF [a non -profit organization that drives research related to type 1 diabetes]. The pancreas naturally has all those blood vessels and the cells are organized in particular in it. Jordan andWe want to print [in 3D] with the same orientation that exists in nature, "he continued.

That is, create an implant that does the function of the pancreas and that looks like as much as possible.As indicated, they have focused on demonstrating that their implants can properly regulate blood glucose levels of diabetic mice for 6 months.To achieve this, they will need to give their beta cells designed the ability to respond to rapid changes in blood sugar levels.

"We must get the implanted cells to be very close to the bloodstream so that the beta can detect and respond quickly," Miller said.And will be located less than 100 microns of a blood vessel.

Beta cells will be located within the 3D -printed biomaterial structure and will have autonomous behavior.They themselves will detect the ups and downs of the glucose level and Iran administering insulin to be as stable as possible.They will also do it surrounded by a hydrogel that prevents the receptor's immuture system from attacking the implant.

Hydrogel based material has pores wide enough to prevent interior cells from being attacked by the immune system, but large enough to allow the passage of nutrients and insulin.

No punctures
Another of the recent diabetes -related projects has to do with a sensor that avoids punctures to measureglucoseInstead of the pecks in the fingers, the sensor developed by the University of Newcastle (Australia) is capable of detecting the level of glucose in saliva.

of nothing;)

DavidAG2000's profile photo
DavidAG2000
08/04/2021 9:19 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Thank you

Pablo Asturianin's profile photo
Pablo Asturianin
08/04/2021 9:22 p.m.

Tengo diabetes desde el martes 9 de junio del 2020. Tipo 1.
Llevo el FREESTYLE Desde el 30 de Julio. Todo muy bien, con subidas y bajadas pero aprendiendo a controlarme más cada día. Gracias por el foro.
Share on Twitter

davidag2000 said:

Thank you.It seems that it is another type of islet encapsulation.But it does not say when you think to start evidence in humans

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
08/04/2021 9:23 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

sherpa41 said:
davidag2000 said:

Thank you.It seems that it is another type of islet encapsulation.But it does not say when you think to start the evidence in humans

Magic does not exist, but advances in DB1 are gradually.All for our security.

DavidAG2000's profile photo
DavidAG2000
08/04/2021 9:31 p.m.

The cell encapsulation experiments in mice work since before 1994. They risk a bit and accelerate or catch all too old

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
08/04/2021 9:46 p.m.

I hope ... I wish we see it soon and hopefully it is accessible to the vast majority.Sometimes I think the millionaires do with DM 1 ... if I had the necessary money ...

I hope if there is a God, he is listening to me begging him every night.

Isi's profile photo
Isi
08/04/2021 11:05 p.m.

It is being investigated a long time ago, but they have to obtain beta cells from stem cells and then get them to work without them attacking the same antibodies ... it is not easy ... but it will arrive.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
08/05/2021 4:51 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

They say that hope is the last thing that is lost, but over the years many investigations on diabetes are heard and I don't know why none comes to fruition, (Dra Faustman in Masachuset, Dr Bernat Soria in Spain, etc)And we know that there are diabetic millionaires (the disease does not understand money) but none is put into practice, it will be for the interests of the industry, if continuous meters (freestyle,) come out, that when they left they had a waiting list of waitingMore than 5 months, I was one of the former, and of course a bestial economic rent expanded manufacturing, expanded work shifts, 24h 365 days and even if they did not arrive, that each one took out their conclusions.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
08/05/2021 5:56 p.m.

To me that the antibodies are isolate and put me whatever it produces automatically insulin as before.
I do not ask so much !!!!:)

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
08/06/2021 9:03 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Well, it is hopeful to investigate, but I would say that the thing continues to be rather distant.On the one hand, there is the "journalistic" effect, which accentuates everything and makes it more important and close than it really is, to sell the news.On the other hand, all researchers need financing, so they will not tell you that this is only the beginning or that we will see, but that they are put in a position similar to that of the journalist.

Cristóbal Cortés's profile photo
Cristóbal Cortés
08/07/2021 11:41 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.