Compagine exercise with insulin treatment

marine's profile photo   04/21/2021 9:12 p.m.

Good chic@s ...

I have doubts again about whether the treatment I carry is adequate for a person who likes to exercise.

I have been treatment of mixture insulins for 20 years, 25% fast, 50% fast, 100% fast and depending on the food and exercise adjusted, this has worked very well for many years having a glycosilada of 6.2

With the recommended treatment of endocrine after worsening glycosilada to 8.0 to a large extent for all this topic of Covid not being able to exercise and a ailment that had ... Home Treatment of Basal Toujeo + Humalog Fast.

At the beginning and after the adaptation everything was great but at the time I have started to exercise again I see myself more tied than before diabetes.

I have explained to my nutritional nurse what happens to me and it has gone from missing when I told him that I used to use mixtures to ... is that the same basal+fast+treatment does not come good and you have to return to the mixtures.

The latter makes me think ... is that nobody who exercises in a regular basis is incompatible with this type of treatment?

I do not know if someone else has gone through this and already has the path of experience and has the trick so that everything is going well or however I have to pick up and return to my ancient treatment "of a lifetime".

What have I noticed from ancient treatment to the new as negative points?

-When I exercise blood glucose much more than before and more pronounced way
-When I exercise under the basal and this causes that during the day be higher to compensate for the drop in the exercise
When under the basal even spending the rest of the upper day, I also have hypoglycemia night
-When I wear the basal I have to decide at 7:30 am in the morning if I am going to exercise that day or not.

What did you win with insulin with mixtures?

-Hace sports or not, only meant reducing lunch insulin for the exercise of 19:00
-When I exercise that blood glucose is much more stable and I have less hypoglycemia during exercise
-It had no night hypos if in the insulin of dinner I made me amount more by not correctly recalculating the sensitivity factor.

By having as a positive point the stability of the slow because it is true that the curve is flatter .. I would like to get the good of both treatments but I do not know if this is possible.

Anyway .. I am out to have in my head ...

marine's profile photo
marine
04/21/2021 9:12 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

I use Tresiba as slow, which I think is similar to Toujeo, and as a rapid use fiasp.

It is not that he exercises intense or frequent (hopefully, hahaha is my intention), but three for example the dose changes are not seen the next day, but after about 3.

Yes, I have noticed that at 6-8 put the slow, glycemia goes down ... and I know the theory that this slow non-hypoglycemia, but I did notice that.And now that I have changed the schedule (so that this moment coincides with that I am awake), I feel the same.

I say it in case you may notice a few hours of "little maximum" of the slow.
Let's see if you can adjust it to you soon!

morganeta's profile photo
morganeta
04/21/2021 10:25 p.m.

Diabética desde 2002
Tresiba y Fiasp

Good @morganeta,

Toujeo and Tresiba are both glargin insulins unlike that the three -life has more duration in the body.I have not tried it so I would not know if this would improve the situation ...

Changing the time was a proposal that the nurse made me because if I put it at night instead, at night I already do how I have done the day if with sport or without ... but I really already tell you... I don't know if this would improve the situation.

Thanks for answering.

marine's profile photo
marine
04/22/2021 8:05 a.m.

marine said:
good @morganeta,

Toujeo and Tresiba are both glargin insulins unlike that the three -life has more duration in the body.I have not tried it so I would not know if this would improve the situation ...

Changing the time was a proposal that the nurse made me because if I put it at night instead, at night I already do how I have done the day if with sport or without ... but I really already tell you... I don't know if this would improve the situation.

Thanks for answering.

Tresiba is insulin swallow, no glargina

Alberto_13's profile photo
Alberto_13
04/22/2021 11:41 a.m.

DM3c desde 2018; hb 6 % (feb.. 2022) (tresiba+fiasp+metformina)

@Alberto_13 True, thanks for the clarification.

marine's profile photo
marine
04/22/2021 1:40 p.m.

@marine

If something works, don't change it!I don't know very well because they told you that you changed if it worked very well.But well you can or return to your system or try to readjust.You already have many years of experience.

About what you comment can only give you some ideas or suggestions in case they help you

I think I remember for some comment on another topic that you use Abbott's sensor.Even though it works regularly, it helps a lot.

But well I copy your text and put under some ideas

-When I exercise blood glucose much more than before and more pronounced way
I try to start doing sports not very low.With the Abbott sensor, as I did not trust me much, around 150. Now with Dexcom Adjusto more and I start around 110. But I take from time to time sips of Isostar.I buy powders and mix it with water.Half a liter.A ration.Normally I take half.But just in case.And with that I avoid declines.For security I always carry another 2 portions in glucose tablets in the Gym.

-When I exercise under the basal and this causes that during the day be higher to compensate for the drop in the exercise
When under the basal even spending the rest of the upper day, I also have hypoglycemia night
-When I wear the basal I have to decide at 7:30 am in the morning if I am going to exercise that day or not.

I do not play the basal for doing sports.I leave it stable.I just upload the basal a little vacation.I think it is a mistake that you change the basal one day if or another for me to do sports.You will never know what works for you.Leave the stable basal.I put it at night.It works better for me.Change the basal only if after three consecutive days you lift yourself higher or low than you lying down.But not because that day you do sports.You have to try to be very stable in your sport routines and so you will see that you need.The sport can cause you to go down at night but if you are very regular you can adjust your basal.If at any time you stay high during the day after a meal, then correction.That's what the sensor is.In fact in a study they demonstrated that the sensors helped a lot because patients knew when to put corrections!But don't change your basal daily.I think that is your problem.Or part of the problem.With the sensor you should maintain a good HB.Remember, put corrections and most importantly as you know very well is to avoid night hypos.If you stay short of basal, nothing happens, during the day you wear any other correction.

All the best

jldiazdel's profile photo
jldiazdel
04/22/2021 3:36 p.m.

DM1 desde Marzo 2018 (53 años). 7-10 unidades basal: Abasaglar (insulina glargina). NovoRapid. Factor 1.0/1.5.
Vivo en Alemania. CarboH total dia 70-80 gr. Deporte Gym todos dias L-V 1h-2 h
HbA1c 5,5% (Abril 2022)
Dexcom G6

Good @jldiazdel

The change in treatment was because I threw a long month with an average of 200 that I couldn't go down and the endocrine told me directly to change the treatment ... which was missing insulin and the treatment of mixtures was very old and barelyIt was used.

Right with the new pattern the same thing happens to me .... average of 200, the problem is that I am inflaming every 2x3 with the tooth of the trial and that inflammatory process is what I think is demading me the theme of thecontrol.

Yes, I use free2 sensor from 2020.

For some comment even for the nurse he told me that when I did sports I could lower the basal for 15-20% to compensate for the effect of sport but as I comment .. I don't finish seeing it.

Also a thing that I am not as accustomed is to see how my body reacts more abruptly to the exercise than before, having to supplement with fast hydrates when before with mixture insulins it was not as accused, think that there in that mixture goes theProportional basal part and if you get less insulin in lunch p.e for the exercise of the afternoon, you are reducing both the rapid and the basal so that the readjustment I think is better, in fact it was doing sports with much more freedom and with lessvariability.

It is for all this that when I say the treatment of mixtures and it seems that nobody uses it, I understand that it is because there are also ways to get good control with a fast basal system that also has its positive part.

Thanks for answering

marine's profile photo
marine
04/22/2021 4:38 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.