Type 1 diabetes and university

taniacr's profile photo   08/31/2021 3:03 a.m.

Hello!I will start this year at the university and I would like to know how your experience was with the sensor in exam time.Did they let your mobile close to check the glucose?

taniacr's profile photo
taniacr
08/31/2021 3:03 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

taniacr said:
hello!I will start this year at the university and I would like to know how your experience was with the sensor in exam time.They let you have the mobile close to check the glucose?

Hi Tania, I'm going to go to my last year of career, so I tell you my first -hand experience.The plan that occurred to me was ideal.

To start, I did not want to deal with the problem of trying to have the mobile side knowing the envy that this can cause to your classmates, as well as that there are some teachers who would not let them allow them even if you have already talked to them, or some that youThey would put obstacles to have it even being diabetic.In college there is a lot of suspicion.

Therefore, what I did was simple.Having free 2 patching or an MCG sensor like Dexcom, the only thing you need is an intelligent clock where to receive glucose.Thus, you can have the mobile in your silenced pocket and see the glucose on the clock.Being a clock, even though it is intelligent, nobody will fight you.It is much more discreet than having the mobile on the table.That is what I did.

DavidAG2000's profile photo
DavidAG2000
08/31/2021 11:15 a.m.

Hi, @Taniacr:

I am a university teacher and I have already had several students with glucometer and reader or mobile.There is no problem and not because I have diabetes and know me all the paraphernalia that we have to carry.:)
Simply warn teachers at the beginning of the course.You already know that we don't like mobiles in class.;)

You tell them that you have diabetes and explain that you carry a sensor that communicates with the mobile (if they do not have diabetes or someone close with DM1, do not have to know the operation), which has some alarms that notify you of the descents and climbsand that occasionally you will need to look at the mobile to check how you are.You can add that you have a juice by hand in case (theoretically you cannot drink or eat in class. Water yes, of course).

In the exams, what they usually do is remind the teacher of diabetes, leave the case of the glycometer/reader open on the table and mobile next to the alarms in vibrator mode, all well visible.

If you had any problem with a teacher, you complain to the student defender.Your mobile, your reader, your glucometer are part of the monitoring of our disease.As if you need to put insulin in class.You do it and point (we are so fast and discreet that we are not seen).There are many students with specific disabilities or needs and in all cases it should be facilitated that the student can follow the course.

I recommend that you go through the Medical Service of the UNI.I did it to see if they had glucagon and I told them that I had DM1;Thus, if I fainted in class or whatever, as the auxiliaries the first thing they do is warn this medical service, they already know what to start looking.

You, calm.You will not have problems.

Palomilla's profile photo
Palomilla
08/31/2021 12:11 p.m.

DM1 desde abril 2018.
Toujeo y Fiasp.
Primero, Dexcom G4, luego, FreeStyle 2 (SS), ahora, Dexcom One (SS).

I do not find any problem to access the exam as everyone.If the exam will last one day, but you can pass perfectly two or three hours without any control.
In the university I did not have diabetes, but I have performed exams being opposition diabetics and I have never said anything, I did not wear a sensor.Now I have a sensor and in a few months I will have exams and disconnect everything and even enter without mobile that like me and technologies are not my thing sure whispers something;)

Anaisabel's profile photo
Anaisabel
08/31/2021 1:50 p.m.

davidag2000 said:
taniacr said:
hello!I will start this year at the university and I would like to know how your experience was with the sensor in exam time.They let you have the mobile close to check the glucose?

Hi Tania, I'm going to go to my last year of career, so I tell you my first -hand experience.The plan that occurred to me was ideal.

To start, I did not want to deal with the problem of trying to have the mobile side knowing the envy that this can cause to your classmates, as well as that there are some teachers who would not let them allow them even if you have already talked to them, or some that youThey would put obstacles to have it even being diabetic.In college there is a lot of suspicion.

Therefore, what I did was simple.Having free 2 patching or an MCG sensor like Dexcom, the only thing you need is an intelligent clock where to receive glucose.Thus, you can have the mobile in your silenced pocket and see the glucose on the clock.Being a clock, even though it is intelligent, nobody will fight you.It is much more discreet than having the mobile on the table.That is what I did.

It seems to me a fantastic idea.

isabelbota's profile photo
isabelbota
08/31/2021 2:48 p.m.

DM 2 con páncreas agotado desde diciembre 2020. 51 años entonces.
HG diciembre 2020: 15.9. Última HG: julio 2024 5.8
Abasaglar 9 unidades. Metformina, 1000/0/1000. Humalog junior: 2 unid en desayuno y luego en función de lo que coma.

I do not go through that situation.But for example in my oppositions if someone carries a sensor warns it before and

anaisabel said:
I find no problem to access the exam like everyone else.If the exam will last one day, but you can pass perfectly two or three hours without any control.
In the university I did not have diabetes, but I have performed exams being opposition diabetics and I have never said anything, I did not wear a sensor.Now I have a sensor and in a few months I will have exams and disconnect everything and even enter without mobile that like me and technologies are not my thing sure whispered something;)

I never have hypoglycemia, but never, huh?And in an hour and a half opposition examination gave me a

Nila's profile photo
Nila
08/31/2021 3:59 p.m.

Diabetes desde 03/15
Lantus
MODY 3
HG octubre 2021: 5,7; junio 2021: 6,5; 2020: 6,7; 2019: 6,7. 2018: 6,4

I have done many exams and there was no sensor and nothing has happened.
I didn't even take the glucometer to class 🙈

vanessa30's profile photo
vanessa30
08/31/2021 4:42 p.m.

taniacr said:

Surely if you tell teachers, don't bother them whenever you don't hide anything.What I do to prevent something can tell me or get into trouble is to use the sensor reader instead of the mobile and it is because with that you cannot copy or anything like that.

25mar2000's profile photo
25mar2000
09/02/2021 3:59 p.m.

anaisabel said:
I find no problem accessing the exam.If the exam will last one day, but you can pass perfectly two or three hours without any control.
In the university I did not have diabetes, but I have performed exams being opposition diabetics and I have never said anything, I did not wear a sensor.Now I have a sensor and in a few months I will have exams and disconnect everything and even enter without mobile that like me and technologies are not my thing sure whispered something;)

I do not know, it depends on the person, I always took it because as I get very nervous in the exams it has happened to look at my glucose and be in 250, that I probably will not give me any chungo in 3 hours but seeing the panoramaI prefer to avoid and click insulin in the exam than to be so high.Tmb passes that with the nerves you do not notice the symptoms of being high or low because they are misunderstood.

25mar2000's profile photo
25mar2000
09/02/2021 4:03 p.m.

@ Taniacr, take the glucometer of a lifetime, and the sugary at the table.
With that you will have no problem.With the mobile, yes,
Before the examination put in a safe value.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
09/02/2021 5:26 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Another university teacher with a sensor and I say the same as Palomilla and others: not hide it and comment with the teachers before teaching the XDRIP or the free application and the arm.They will understand perfectly.What we do not like is someone who is lying all the time (suspicious ...) without having commented before.Nor is it worth saying without teaching some sensor or application or something.I fear that they pay fair for sinners and the Spanish picaresque could make someone take advantage of this if you read it here.
Regarding ups: it is clear that yes.To me in certain public events it also tends to get through the clouds.It only remembers in some way silencing alarms even if you are attentive to the mobile, so as not to interrupt the class.
My system is FL2 + XDrip and a clock to transmit glucose from the mobile.What is commented here for a clock as a single registration does not seem recommended and something uncomfortable/ risky.I have used a Amazfit Pace without problems (I put it in front to give the class or during an event and take a look) and now the same with a Garmin.But there are more options than these two brands.

So much mood and that diabetes does not prevent you from doing anything.There are no reasons for this, as well as there are no reasons not to control it well.Of course: be careful with the "parties" and alcohol.We already know how that goes and the control problems that can cause.First of all, responsibility.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
09/03/2021 7:25 p.m.

regina said:
@ taniacr, take the glucometer of a lifetime, and the suses on the table.
With that you will have no problem.With the mobile, yes,
Before the exam put in a safe value.

Please: don't use sugar.You will have to drink water and it's not the fastest.There is glucose gel that is the fastest.There are several brands in pharmacies and parapharmacies.I now use Kids, which instead of 15 gr of HC is 5gr and allows me more flexibility.Even glucose gel can take between 10 and 12 minutes to see the reaction, and faster than sugar (which should be diluted into water to accelerate its metabolization)

I have no problem clicking anywhere.I believe that people don't even find out that I sorry.Of course, he comments with the teacher always.

DiabetesForo
09/03/2021 7:28 p.m.

@mloureiro, is that my daughter is very old for this, and swallows the dry sugar, like the turkeys haha,

Regina's profile photo
Regina
09/03/2021 7:47 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)

Buf, because it is difficult, it makes me ball just thinking about it.Apart from that accustomed to the non -sweet taste, it would be almost impossible to swallow it to a dry stick.
If everyone has their things for this, but it seemed good to refer to the matter of the gel and my experience of how I see that he acts with the sensor: between 10-12 minutes no one takes them away (necessary time between which he metabolizes and begins toSeeing in the sensor, in capillary it surely takes less, but it is not so instant either, I would say 5 minutes)
Another idea: dilute sugar in a small bottle of water.But of course, if it is not taken, that "expires."The gel endures a lot.Regard it for your birthday, strawberry flavor !!!;)

DiabetesForo
09/03/2021 7:52 p.m.

Ok, I already tell you that there are strawberry.!
You also eat jelly beans .., but it will be the gel, yes.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
09/03/2021 8:05 p.m.

Totally agree with @mloureiro.
There is nothing that can might more to a teacher than a student looking towards the legs at the time of the exam.If you have the mobile at the table and have previously been explained to the teacher why it is needed, there will be no problem.In addition, with the teacher being a bit curious, he will love to see how the sensor works.It is still something that attracts attention.
In general, we think of two -hour examfast and check it?
I use Glucosport's blisters.They have 6 g of glucose and stabilize you quickly.

Palomilla's profile photo
Palomilla
09/03/2021 8:29 p.m.

DM1 desde abril 2018.
Toujeo y Fiasp.
Primero, Dexcom G4, luego, FreeStyle 2 (SS), ahora, Dexcom One (SS).

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.