Hello, I am a mother of Nico, 11 years and with a diabetic debut two months ago

marita618's profile photo   08/25/2021 6:26 p.m.

Good morning, for us all this diabetes is new, since in the family we had not had a history.
The issue is that I do not know more attention when looking at labels apart from HC, since sometimes I compare products with or without sugar and HC are very similar or equal.
I would appreciate any help and suggestion.It is good for us to know that despite the inconveniences you can lead a normal life

marita618's profile photo
marita618
08/25/2021 6:26 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hello, welcome!And if instead of worrying about the CH, you directly leave you in a lifestyle of soups, broths, protein (egg cheese meats) and salads ...
I say, it is easier to control without having so many worries.You give it whole fruit that at least is a little healthier.Anyway in this forum you will find a lot of information and will help you in all doubts, encouragement !!

Tgirl's profile photo
Tgirl
08/25/2021 9:25 p.m.

@Marita618, look at the total hydrates and calculate insulin.Sometimes sugar products almost carry them, by polyalcohols.
It is best to try for trial and error for some whim.
At first it is good to point what he eats and the controls, to learn.
Little by little you will control it.
Welcome to the forum.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
08/25/2021 11:09 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

marita618 said:
good morning, for us all of diabetes is new, since in the family we had not had a history.
The issue is that I do not know more attention when looking at labels apart from HC, since sometimes I compare products with or without sugar and HC are very similar or equal.
I would appreciate any help and suggestion.It is good for us to know that despite the inconveniences you can lead a normal life

I also debuted as you son, at 11, now I have 48. Fortunately, now nothing to do with when I started.It is not a comfort but with what we have today, you can carry very good control and reach almost at the levels of a non -diabetic, there are many more knowledge, we have continuous meters, various insulins, slow, fast etc.I started with syringes, pork insulin, imagine.So, of course, normal life can be made but you have to take care and control from the beginning.A hug!

meginer's profile photo
meginer
08/26/2021 12:45 a.m.

marita618 said:
good morning, for us all of diabetes is new, since in the family we had not had a history.

Welcome

Do not focus on HC stress, think that your child is in growth age and has to eat everything.
When I started 39 years ago, I couldn't eat anything, notice that I called my mother to the hospital where I worked to know if I could eat a slice of Fuet.
It is a great hospital where they diagnosed me, but so many years ago I knew very little;
Luckily about 4 years later my mother told an endocrine who had just arrived at her hospital.
I had the first visit with him and that was his recommendation, eat everything so that I could gain weight (it was a walking skeleton).
Lentils, cooked, stewed, pasta ... in smaller dish, and second course such as meat, fish, more abundant quantity.
Fruit after each meal.
He also told them that if I had to eat a cookie, that was normal, not Santiveri type (they were the only ones at that time).
So here I am, happy to have met him and have been able to travel so many years with my diabetes without having major problems.

vanessa30's profile photo
vanessa30
08/26/2021 6:43 a.m.

Welcome @marita618.You have no doubt that your child will be able to make a normal life, you just need a little more time to get your new reality, then everything will go.I only have experience with diabetes for two years, since I debuted with 47, but it is a reality that we now have it much easier and that it is possible to control the disease much better.You see all the experiences that have told you in this thread about the old insulins, without the help of continuous meters ...
As for sugar without food, it is true that some do do well: for example, when as an ice cream, I always take those that I buy in Mercadona without sugar, since I check that they affect me very little to the glucemics.However, with sugar -free cookies I have not noticed that difference: they will have less sugar, yes, but more hydrates and, in the end, it is almost the same.So always consult the total HC.In breakfasts, for example, what is best for me is roasted bread (Biscotes), since compared to the normal bar bread, the sugar goes up much less.You will have to test, because each one reacts differently with the different foods.
Good luck, you'll see how everything will be very good :)

Carussa's profile photo
Carussa
08/26/2021 9:53 a.m.

DM1 desde octubre de 2019 | Toujeo + Fiasp | FreeStyle | febrero 2023: HbA1c 5,7

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.