{'en': 'Could we see the end of insulin injections?', 'es': '¿podríamos ver el fin de las inyecciones de insulina?'} Image

Could we see the end of insulin injections?

fer's profile photo   06/15/2022 12:36 p.m.

A study presented at the last meeting of the United States Endocrinology Society opens the door to a future elimination of insulin injections, the only viable treatment so far for type 1 diabetes. It is a therapy based on cells Car cells, that until now have shown tremendous success in leukemia and lymphomas.

These are cells of the immune system, known as T lymphocytes, which are genetically modified to recognize a specific antigen.In the case of hematological cancers, these are cytotoxic T cells, which recognize the tumor cell and destroy it.In diabetes, on the other hand, they focus on inflammation regulators.

Diabetes is an inability to regulate the presence of blood glucose related to a problem for insulin processing.In the case of type 2 diabetes, the most frequent, is almost always the result of the lifestyle (obesity, sedentary lifestyle), which ends up generating insulin resistance, vital to process the glucose present in the blood and that enters theCells

Type 1 diabetes, on the other hand, is an autoimmune disease caused by the destruction of beta cells of the pancreas, insulin producers, through T lymphocytes. It represents between 1% and 5% of all cases of diabetes, about 90,000 people in Spain according to the Spanish Diabetes Society.

It is usually diagnosed at an early age (4.9 years when detected in childhood) and 50% of patients have other associated pathologies, from the alteration of cholesterol levels to retinopathies and nephropathies.Although it is not related to the lifestyle, this does affect the development of the disease.

The team of Argentine Juan Carlos Jaume, professor of Endocrinology at the University of Toledo (Ohio, United States), obtained samples of blood and pancreas of patients who was extracted for some clinical reason (pancreas cancer and pancreatitis).From the blood obtained regulatory T cells, abbreviated as TREGS, which are responsible for regulating or suppressing other cells of the immune system, cultivated and genetically modified them to recognize antigens related to beta cells.

With this modification they introduced another: they associated with the edited T lymphocytes (car tregs) a green fluorescent protein.In this way they could verify if the cells, when they were introduced into the Langerhans islets (the pancreas structures produced by beta cells), survived and proliferated.

The researchers cultivated the pancreatic islets obtained from the human pancreas and combined them with the Car Tregs, which proliferated in the next 72 hours.They were also tested in modified mice to express human type 1 diabetes, showing the same behavior: these lymphocytes, genetically modified, suppressed the response of cytotoxic t lymphocytes that attack the beta cells of the pancreas, regenerating insulin production in the body.

the Cart revolution

"This is the next step of Car cells," explains the president of the Spanish Society of Immunology, Marcos López Hoyos."First have been hematological neoplasms (cancers) and, within a relatively short period, they will be used in solid organ tumors. Autoimmune diseases [such as type 1 diabetes] are the following."

In fact, there are already essays "in early stages" for lupus or multiple sclerosis, and also to avoid rejection in solid organ transplants."The concept of regulatory T cell was fashionable in the 80s between immunologists," he recalls, "but they fell into disuse and they were even proscribed," due to the difficulty in characterizing them molecularly.

Instead, effector T cells, which destroy cells,They were more successful."We can eliminate with cells everything we are eliminating with monoclonal antibodies", therapies that have supposed a step forward in the treatment of cancer in the last two decades.

However, López Hoyos does not believe that, if it exceeds all clinical trials in humans necessary to be approved, this therapy will be used a lot in type 1 diabetes, a well -controlled disease today thanks to innovations in the insulin administration, that make it more and more comfortable for patients.

"It can be a treatment route, above all, in cases considered rebels," says the immunologist.However, the study is another step to demonstrate the potential of a new way to treat numerous diseases.

"This therapy is in its beginnings," he says."The CARs have developed because, methodologically, we have applied many molecular tools and because in the last 20 years we have learned number of immune response mechanisms that we did not know before."Therefore, "in the next 20 years the change will be spectacular."

fer's profile photo
fer
06/15/2022 12:36 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

“López Hoyos does not believe that, if it exceeds all clinical trials in humans necessary to be approved, this therapy will be used a lot in type 1 diabetes, a well -controlled disease currently thanks to innovations in the administration of insulin, which, whichThey make it more and more comfortable for patients. "

Comfortable ??:#

It shows that he does not suffer.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
06/15/2022 1:58 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

Well ... it is a little wild phrase, it would not give much importance, in the end what is interesting is that they have alternatives to the injected insulin, and if they are viable it is the bomb !!!

fer's profile photo
fer
06/15/2022 3:05 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Yeah.He says it because it will be a expensive and difficult treatment.And few people can access.

But the current treatment is the opposite of comfortable.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
06/15/2022 4:07 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

That Majo López Hoyos this ... I'm not me to wish for anyone but I would love to know how he feels like a son or grandson (if he is already in the age of being a grandfather) with type 1 diabetes.

Palurdos as a lord, who will be endocrine, are the kind of doctors that it is better to have far ... I'm sorry for your patients ...

Anyway, that's how the world goes ...

Isi's profile photo
Isi
06/15/2022 10:38 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

isi said:
that the López Hoyosof being grandfather) with type 1 diabetes.

Palurdos as a lord, who will be endocrine, are the kind of doctors that it is better to have far ... I'm sorry for your patients ...

Anyway, that's how the world goes ...

It is not endocrine, he is a surgeon and immunologic doctor.

The problem more than his, I think is what diabetics and associations, we transmit in the media.That we can do everything and that it is almost a disease, but a life condition.And that with the new devices and insulins everything is fantastic.

Therefore (apart from the interests of pharmaceuticals) they take it so calmly in research.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
06/16/2022 12:31 a.m.

Throughout the years I hear about many investigations the BGG of Dra Faustman, etcin the US and alvide from methods at least in 20 or 30 years.I tell me that there are many economic interests that could be cured but good.
and the Spanish vaccine against the COVID what happened?Well

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
06/20/2022 1:42 p.m.

I would settle for a good autonomous bomb.That will come.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
06/20/2022 3:35 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Don't try it with mice !!Give it to me directly!: D: d

Hopefully one day an important advance will come, but then the great pharmaceutical brand arrives, buy the study and then never knew about the progress ....

mrastra's profile photo
mrastra
06/26/2022 11:21 a.m.

For what I have left, I prefer to continue clicking, thanks.

12mas37's profile photo
12mas37
06/28/2022 8:27 a.m.

I believe that diabetes is a business for pharmaceuticals and laboratories, it is not interesting that there is a cure ... but whoever says this is like any chronic, easy to carry, that God comes and see it ..... I hope to be able toI get used to her, but I am getting uphill, sometimes, I come to think that I need a psychologist.This needs a dedication continues and full on a day -to -day basis, and even sometimes putting all the efforts, the expected results are not achieved.

Cassie's profile photo
Cassie
07/08/2022 1:29 p.m.

This is not easy, Cassie.In September I will turn a year since the diagnosis and I still have moments of do I have diabetes?I went from being healthy as an apple to being chronic sick.Thus, without more.
I have always cared for my health, my nutrition, I have practiced sports, I protect myself from the Sun, I do not smoke, I do not stop and have touched this little gift.But I am clear that regretting for it is useless (well, sometimes, a little while ...).
So it's time to get ahead, study a lot, listen to those who know and those who have experience and learn.Know you, see your reactions to this or that food, in this or that situation.Being indulgent, we are going to make a lot of mistake, each error is not a failure but a fact for our personal knowledge when handling this disease.
You are right, the dedication is 24/7 there is no rest or vacation but you will be integrating it in your day to day, what a remedy.As for the psychologist, it seems to me a good idea, if you feel very overwhelmed and do not get for yourself to reach serenity and lift your mood, go to therapy can be a help.
You will see that this forum is very enriching, we all go through the same and something can be learned from each one.And you feel heard and understood, which is very comforting.

Ensalada's profile photo
Ensalada
07/08/2022 8:21 p.m.

LADA desde septiembre de 2021
Toujeo y Fiasp
Aprendiendo

VERTEX already has permission to continue with the essays:
July 5: Link
June 6: Link

I hold on to a burning nail ...

Palomilla's profile photo
Palomilla
07/10/2022 9:37 a.m.

DM1 desde abril 2018.
Toujeo y Fiasp.
Primero, Dexcom G4, luego, FreeStyle 2 (SS), ahora, Dexcom One (SS).

palomilla said:
vertex already has permission to continue with the trials:
July 5: Link
June 6: Link

I grab a burning nail ...

That has been working for 30 years.Islet transplant with immunosuppressants.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
07/10/2022 11:43 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.