{'en': 'Camino de Santiago', 'es': 'Camino de Santiago'} Image

Camino de Santiago

meginer's profile photo   07/09/2022 4:28 p.m.

Good afternoon.

I am considering doing the Camino de Santiago or this summer in September or if you could not, next.

Has anyone done it?

Can you share experiences with glycemia?

Possible extra -care hypos?

Thank you so much!

meginer's profile photo
meginer
07/09/2022 4:28 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hi @meginer, I made several stages before debuting so, as my experience was not like diabetic, I can only contribute some things that occur to me:
Be very careful with your feet, wounds take longer to heal than in healthy people and can be a problem.
It carries a lot of water, the open field sections leave you dry.
And the typical, in the backpack wears an anti hypoglycemia buffet;juices, candies, fruit, some longer hydrate in peak format, hills, scolds.
Before each stage, look for the telephone numbers of local taxi drivers and take them by hand on the mobile, in case you need to pull that resource.
I wore sandals in my backpack because as the stage ended, I took my shoes to refresh my feet;Of course, they touched me several days of heat wave and field stages that were impossible.
First of all, enjoy the way, do not put goals and do not frustrate if for h or b, you cannot end up walking any stage.

Ensalada's profile photo
Ensalada
07/09/2022 6:29 p.m.

LADA desde septiembre de 2021
Toujeo y Fiasp
Aprendiendo

Hi, @meginer: In October I made the way.I went with a group of friends and as it was the first time we decided on the shortest route, from Sarria, in six stages.An agency organized us and we were with reservation in hostels and luggage transport.
I was training for a month with the footwear and socks that I was going to wear and a backpack with three kilos.

The basal did not touch it on the road.What I did was the following:
- In the hostels the breakfasts were copious and early.They gave us bread, pastries, sausage, fruit, etc.I took a couple of coffees, a small swilling with oil and a banana.That on a normal day would have meant between 6 and 8 units of fast, even something else if I had been still.On the way I put 3 units for breakfast.We didn't take place later.
- We stopped fundamentally to drink and go to the service;We used to do lunch when there was little to get there.We ate a hurry.There I put the same units as in a day of diary.
- When we got to the town, we shower, a little rest and went out to take a walk, have some beers and dinner.Same units as any other day.

I didn't have important hypos on the way.Only the first day that I was confident, but nothing that two blisters of Glucosport, a stop and a cereal bar could not fix.From then on, if I saw that I was in 90-100, I took a Glucosport blister and a cereal bar.Or took advantage of the stops to have a beer without putting insulin.

The nights, well, without hypos.Of course, I took a yogurt with nuts before sleeping in case the fatigue did of his.As for extra care, nothing that others did.The truth is that throughout the way the lumbar bother me more than diabetes.

He will love it.It is a great experience.

Palomilla's profile photo
Palomilla
07/09/2022 7:38 p.m.

DM1 desde abril 2018.
Toujeo y Fiasp.
Primero, Dexcom G4, luego, FreeStyle 2 (SS), ahora, Dexcom One (SS).

palomilla said:
hi, @meginer: in October I made the way.I went with a group of friends and as it was the first time we decided on the shortest route, from Sarria, in six stages.An agency organized us and we were with reservation in hostels and luggage transport.
I was training for a month with the footwear and socks that I was going to wear and a backpack with three kilos.

The basal did not touch it on the road.What I did was the following:
- In the hostels the breakfasts were copious and early.They gave us bread, pastries, sausage, fruit, etc.I took a couple of coffees, a small swilling with oil and a banana.That on a normal day would have meant between 6 and 8 units of fast, even something else if I had been still.On the way I put 3 units for breakfast.We didn't take place later.
- We stopped fundamentally to drink and go to the service;We used to do lunch when there was little to get there.We ate a hurry.There I put the same units as in a day of diary.
- When we got to the town, we shower, a little rest and went out to take a walk, have some beers and dinner.Same units as any other day.

I didn't have important hypos on the way.Only the first day that I was confident, but nothing that two blisters of Glucosport, a stop and a cereal bar could not fix.From then on, if I saw that I was in 90-100, I took a Glucosport blister and a cereal bar.Or took advantage of the stops to have a beer without putting insulin.

The nights, well, without hypos.Of course, I took a yogurt with nuts before sleeping in case the fatigue did of his.As for extra care, nothing that others did.The truth is that throughout the way the lumbar bother me more than diabetes.

He will love it.It is a great experience.

Thank you so much.I do low -hydrates food, so I wear little quickly and the slow thing I do not touch it and I put it fractionated twice.
I usually do intense daily but I run in time, one hour the most, now there will be variable and prolonged intensity, perhaps I will have to increase HC intake or further reduce the rapid although we already know that you never know, because this never in thisTwo and two are four.
I usually have more insulin resistance after lunch and at dawn from 3 in the morning or so
I've been wanting to do it a lot, I feel like it a lot and everything.World tells me that it is a very cool experience, but for this September for the next year.

meginer's profile photo
meginer
07/10/2022 4:10 p.m.

I did several stages years ago from Ponferrada although at the end I ended up doing the last two by bus because I had fatal feet.I did not get blisted but gave me a kind of allergy the sock and I ended up with the whole red heel and was to put my shoes and an unbearable itching.In Sandals without problem but I did not have some adequate to walk and decided to do the bus stages and wait for my classmates at the end of the stage.
My advice is that you take a lot of feet, wears wool or cotton socks (my mistake was to use synthetic gym) and a used footwear that is very comfortable.And comfortable flip flops for the rest of the day, if they serve you for shower also better not to wear 2. The backpack tries to put the right because more weight suffers their feet.There is also an option to take your backpack and you stay with a little girl with the basics.There are bars where you can leave it and pick it up in another bar at the destination and I also believe that Correos offers a similar service.

For the diabetes theme I also ate under hydrates when I did.We started at 6 in the morning because it was in July and we wanted to arrive before 12 to the destination so as not to die of heat.I did not have breakfast at all and at about 8 we stopped for the first coffee, I only had coffee alone at that stop.All this with no active fast insulin and thus avoided hypos.At 10-11 we stopped for breakfast and there I already had some eggs with beicon and another coffee and put me 1 or half insulin unit.And until reaching the end of the stage that used to be at 12 (we made long stages).Normally on the way I ate a fruit in this last stretch because with the insulin of breakfast there was fair days.At the end of the stage we were looking for shelter and shower, wash the clothes we had and then to eat (about 3 and peak).The dinner at 8 in the afternoon and somewhat light (canned fish and some fruit and cheese).

The experience is worth it, surely you enjoy it a lot.

Yessica_A's profile photo
Yessica_A
07/11/2022 2:59 p.m.

DM1 desde 2003 | Toujeo + Humalog | FreeStyle 2 | HbA1c 5.5

Yesssica_a said:
I did several stages years ago from Ponferrada although at the end I ended up doing the last two by bus because he had fatal feet.I did not get blisted but gave me a kind of allergy the sock and I ended up with the whole red heel and was to put my shoes and an unbearable itching.In Sandals without problem but I did not have some adequate to walk and decided to do the bus stages and wait for my classmates at the end of the stage.
My advice is that you take a lot of feet, wears wool or cotton socks (my mistake was to use synthetic gym) and a used footwear that is very comfortable.And comfortable flip flops for the rest of the day, if they serve you for shower also better not to wear 2. The backpack tries to put the right because more weight suffers their feet.There is also an option to take your backpack and you stay with a little girl with the basics.There are bars where you can leave it and pick it up in another bar at the destination and I also believe that Correos offers a similar service.

For the diabetes theme I also ate under hydrates when I did.We started at 6 in the morning because it was in July and we wanted to arrive before 12 to the destination so as not to die of heat.I did not have breakfast at all and at about 8 we stopped for the first coffee, I only had coffee alone at that stop.All this with no active fast insulin and thus avoided hypos.At 10-11 we stopped for breakfast and there I already had some eggs with beicon and another coffee and put me 1 or half insulin unit.And until reaching the end of the stage that used to be at 12 (we made long stages).Normally on the way I ate a fruit in this last stretch because with the insulin of breakfast there was fair days.At the end of the stage we were looking for shelter and shower, wash the clothes we had and then to eat (about 3 and peak).The dinner at 8 in the afternoon and somewhat light (canned fish and some fruit and cheese).

The experience is very worth it, surely you enjoy it.

When I organize it, I want to do it with an agency, be hiring hostels and if you can, backpack transport service to carry only the basics.
We would do a week.
The most respect gives me apart from possible hypos or lack of control, they are the feet.I do not use any shoes because I have very dug feet and very thin to instead so I have to have them very adapted.
I am used to walking when I am going to make some route through the Sierra but it is not usually greater than 12 km.I wear boots of these walking.What I do is going to the gym on a daily basis and I perhaps do more intense Body Combat activities and similar but one hour duration.
It is clear that although it is accustomed to sports, it is not the same and it will have to train a while before with the boots and socks that it will use.
It makes me very excited but I want to be prepared to avoid scares.Thank you.

meginer's profile photo
meginer
07/11/2022 11:08 p.m.

Yesssica_a said:
I did several stages years ago from Ponferrada although at the end I ended up doing the last two by bus because he had fatal feet.I did not get blisted but gave me a kind of allergy the sock and I ended up with the whole red heel and was to put my shoes and an unbearable itching.In Sandals without problem but I did not have some adequate to walk and decided to do the bus stages and wait for my classmates at the end of the stage.

The experience is very worth it, surely you enjoy it.

I forgot to say that I use Tresiba de Basal and the divide in two, in the morning I put only three units and in the afternoon it will be at 12 no or less, the greatest amount, 12 u, because in my case the early morning I haveMore insulin resistance and I also avoid an effect of ALBA too pronounced.
Of fast use humalog junior that allows me to dose on average on average.
I do not know if I would have to vary some of this when exercising more in the morning since I am used to the work to do it in the afternoon.

meginer's profile photo
meginer
07/11/2022 11:12 p.m.

I organized it with Pilgrim and I liked it a lot.They took our luggage to each accommodation and have several lodging options
Link
Indeed, however trained you are, the difficulty of the road is that they are in a row, without truce.Tiredness is overcome every night but the wounds of the feet or muscle and articular overload is accumulating.

Ensalada's profile photo
Ensalada
07/11/2022 11:55 p.m.

Toujeo y Fiasp
Aprendiendo

salad said:
I organized it with Pilgrim and I liked it a lot.They took our luggage to each accommodation and have several lodging options
Link
Indeed, however trained you are, the difficulty of the road is that they are in a row, without truce.Tiredness is overcome every night but the wounds of the feet or muscle and articular overload is accumulating.

Did you have feet wounds?

meginer's profile photo
meginer
07/12/2022 7:35 a.m.

I debuted last year and I did the road in 2020. I did not hurt my feet and that carried new corrective shoes and templates.
But in June I have been 4 days on the beach, I wore a small cut on the floor of the foot and I noticed that it evolved very slowly, I was reddened.I was healing it with Betadine in gel and with rose mosqueta oil.I walked barefoot on the beach but at night, when I went out with footwear, I covered it with a whip to prevent it from getting dirty.
That is why my fear of feet wounds.

Ensalada's profile photo
Ensalada
07/12/2022 1:57 p.m.

Toujeo y Fiasp
Aprendiendo

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.