{'en': 'Letter from a father who shares experience with his diabetic son', 'es': 'Carta de un padre que comparte experiencia con su hijo diabético'} Image

Letter from a father who shares experience with his diabetic son

fer's profile photo   07/26/2022 9:44 a.m.

Hello everyone, I am a nurse and diabetic since 8, my parents went through all that and in my school there was a glucagon but nobody trained to put it now that would already be solved with the nasal glucagon any can administer it and referring to the rest to put insulin or dominateA bomb must be an expert person and the role of the school nurse only exists in Madrid and TB depends on the number of diabetic children who are in school if there are two or three can do some pressure.The role of the decrease at this level does not know if it would help you something that all diabetics should have it since we do not lead a normal life we ​​have some limitations: they give us hypos, hyperglycemia, we injected insulin, when we exercise sometimesGlycemia breaks down etc. because there are some people with diabetes that have not yet learned that we have some limitations and it is not the same to be 4 years old that you do not know about the hypos because you are playing and distracted that having 47 q I do find outOf all because I am an adult.The role of the decrease does not mean that you are incapacitated. Those who have it will work normally only have fiscal benefits and in the oppositions and you do not receive any additional pay I see it beneficial there are many people who have it and it is better than us beforeThey put limitations now pass.

YaizaJ's profile photo
YaizaJ
07/31/2022 11:35 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

It is a real shame.I would talk to the director and with the education department.My son was 6 when he started with diabetes. Now he is 9 years old.He carries a continuous glucose meter, the Dexcom that does not come out a money per year but it was the best.For children anything and in health issues.When he played a pool, the tutor told me that if he stayed at home better.I couldn't believe it !!!I had to go to talk to the director and the days I worked and I could not accompany the pool, she had to be her as a tutor and responsible for a 6 -year -old diabetic boy who has in class and is her responsibility.I had to change work shift to be able to go to recess to control the blood glucose.So we decided to buy is Dexcom meter that is very helpful.There has been change of tutor and having to ask for meeting with the tutor to explain the protocols.They show no interest because a teacher already told me in my face that this diabetes is a "roll and a brown."What a carelessness !!! I said goodbye to those comments.I don't know they are going to educate.There are no values ​​in this society.They are children.They would have to be thinking of playing and having a good time and not to do hair tests and count carbohydrates but it is what has touched them and better that they assimilate it as soon as possible.
I tried to ask for a dependency help and the inspector doctor told me that as you know how to dress and eat alone, there is no right to anything.Yes, but is it known to put the multiple doses of insulin?Does it know about carbohydrates?sensitivity index ??All that a 6 -year -old boy.I almost start crying when I hear that answer to a doctor !!!In short, it is a lot of burden for children, parents, and on top of the society does not understand the seriousness of the disease.Cheer up!!!!

imelda's profile photo
imelda
08/01/2022 4:55 p.m.

@imelda, what a doctor's answer, I would have to know that if they do not put insulin, it is useful to know how to eat or dress.
It is also true that teachers cannot be demanded of medical treatments, so the nurse is needed.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
08/01/2022 5:48 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

I know that what I am going to say will raise blisters, but I'm sorry, it is what I think, the teacher is to teach and study not to take care of any disease, neither the teacher nor anyone of society has to understand our disease,We must fight that at school they put a nurse or someone who takes care of children with diseases, but not blaming the teacher or society, is our illness and we must fight to get things and not blame others for our misfortunes,Sorry is my way of thinking, I know that he doesn't like it and if someone offends, I apologize, but I'm fed up with society does not understand us the teacher ignores, any of you deals with someone sick of something else,Sorry, good afternoon

andrespmat's profile photo
andrespmat
08/01/2022 7:11 p.m.

The teacher does not take care of any disease.In class, unfortunately, a child has touched him with diabetes and while in class, he will have to ensure that he is well as long as there is no one else to do it.To my son when they give hypoglycemia, the sensor whistles him as alarm.He already knows what he has to do but the teacher or asks, are you okay?Do you need to help you with something?That, or do not have diabetes, it is a responsibility that students are well in the classroom.Not only is it teaching, there are other values ​​that a teacher has to teach. Not only the lesson.A teacher covers more functions.As if a deaf child, lame or anything else.You will have to ensure that you feel incentrate in the classroom.If you are only going to teach the lesson, forget more.It will be totally discriminated against.Don't you think ??And that is not to blame others for our misfortunes as you say.Children are not guilty of their illness and children are.Your comment is very selfish.

imelda's profile photo
imelda
08/01/2022 8:24 p.m.

I understand that I have a selfish, what I mean, I claim to collect signatures and do other things, that certain benefits are recognized, with entering the forum and saying, the free takes off, that I do not say that it is not done, but since we have the forum, claim and collect signatures and pressure, so that they put nurses in schools, at work for example that let us retire at 55 such as polis or firefighters, I don't know, things that benefit us, certain fiscal deductions and a deaf child must go to a special education center, for that there are special education teachers and I'm sorry, but I think no one or society or any teacher must carry that, for that there are nurses anddoctors, at least I think that anyone or you would like to get to your work and send you to do something that does not belong to you, each one already has their problems

andrespmat
08/01/2022 9:28 p.m.

I work in construction and I never told any partner if you see me like this or handle this, not the day I pass me, thank God I still don't happen and I hope will never happen, they will already call an ambulance and the nurses will take care of,It is hard but life is like that, that they put nurses in schools, that's what they have to do

andrespmat
08/01/2022 9:34 p.m.

As a teacher I come to give my opinion ...
Yes, while children are in school/insti are under our responsibility.The Board (of Cyl at least) makes us responsible for giving them medications and others, but ... who forms us for it?I understand the parents' concern for their children with diabetes, I try to help in everything I can, but I have already refused to put a glucagon (having been voluntary of Civil Protection and having a PC master and emergency management I finishEating all the "brown") because I didn't know if that particular student had hypoglycemia.Unfortunately at that time I did not have my glucometer (I already had reactive hypoglycemia but as I detected them because I had not bought it, once diagnosed with diabetes, the SS does not give me anything to be, according to them and without testing, type 2)And the student in question had neither glucometer nor sensor (that it is well known that either you have a good sensor or the free fault more than a fair shotgun).Result: When the Emergency doctor arrived and they made glycemia had hyperglycemia, the loss of knowledge was by hyper and by decrease in tension, the combination of both.The doctor at that time told me that he had worked perfectly because if I inject the glucagon he could have killed him (he had almost 500 sugar, I have to say that he did not accept his condition and that he did what he wanted regarding food, not putting the insulinIf their parents were not aware, etc.) What would have happened if I inject the glucagon to that boy?Who would have taken charge of such a tremendous mistake?The parents would have denounced me for the damage caused to their son, even if it had been with all the good will of the world?I already give you the answer: they would have denounced me.We are not trained to treat diseases.Another thing is that most have empathy and put on our part, but you must also understand that we are completely unprotected.
And yes, we also ask for the figure of a school nurse, but do you know one thing?The administration does not pay us attention.It is the whole of the parents who can pressure by manifestations and leaving in the press.But not the few (among all those who are) whose child is diabetic or has epilepsy or other condition or disease, but all united, to one.And coming out in the press.And if necessary because a minor suffers any damage due to the lack of that important figure, to the court.And yes, most of the teachers would join the parents in that claim.And I say that it is a matter of all parents because no child is exempt from needing that health at some point, or by a fall, or because he gets sick in the center ...
Please, do not load more luggage behind us than we have already been thanks to the administration and politicians.Most (there are always exceptions) we try to do things as well as possible and imply as much as possible.But we are also afraid because we are not formed and also if they come badly we are alone, nobody shows for us.Personally, I assure you that I am the first to try to help students, but I also tell you that I do not administer a glucagon, for example, without making sure it is a hiccup.Just as I would not administer insulin before a hyper because I do not know that child's reaction to insulin, how much do I have to put, etc.Because no, many parents leave things there and they don't give you a single instruction.Only one if you have it high puts insulin.But how much?We have no medical training, the little we know is based on these forums, the Internet, of some distance course ...
I understand you, I understand the parents who care.Please, try to understand us too, the teachers

cgs's profile photo
cgs
08/01/2022 10:16 p.m.

Diagnosticada de DM en enero de 2019, con tres generaciones (yo sería la cuarta) de diabéticos tipo 1 en la familia
En principio DM2 por resistencia a la insulina asociada a SOP (sin tener en cuenta los antecedentes familiares)
De momento, solo con Forxiga y Rybelsus (7mg) por la mañana
La glucosa hace lo que le da la gana
Ultimas Hemos: 7,2 (26/12/2023); 6,7 (12/2/2023, al mes de empezar con Rybelsus 3mg)
Última hemo: 6

@imelda I understand what you say but something that has been very clear to me over the years is that there is a big difference between teachers.
Teachers teach disciplines and teachers in addition to disciplines educated you in values, behavior, etc.

Today all are teachers and they cannot be asked to be responsible for the diseases of any child, as @CGS says there are not only diabetics, there are epileptics, attention deficit, etc.And his thing is that there is a health professional in each center, as in the companies of more than X number of workers.
The teacher can be wrong, or arrive late because they are many children claiming and you cannot be aware of everyone in a recess, for example, and then who protects him in case of denouncing those parents?

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
08/02/2022 8:27 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

cgs said:
as a teacher I come to give my opinion ...
Yes, while children are in school/insti are under our responsibility.The Board (of Cyl at least) makes us responsible for giving them medications and others, but ... who forms us for it?I understand the parents' concern for their children with diabetes, I try to help in everything I can, but I have already refused to put a glucagon (having been voluntary of Civil Protection and having a PC master and emergency management I finishEating all the "brown") because I didn't know if that particular student had hypoglycemia.Unfortunately at that time I did not have my glucometer (I already had reactive hypoglycemia but as I detected them because I had not bought it, once diagnosed with diabetes, the SS does not give me anything to be, according to them and without testing, type 2)And the student in question had neither glucometer nor sensor (that it is well known that either you have a good sensor or the free fault more than a fair shotgun).Result: When the Emergency doctor arrived and they made glycemia had hyperglycemia, the loss of knowledge was by hyper and by decrease in tension, the combination of both.The doctor at that time told me that he had worked perfectly because if I inject the glucagon he could have killed him (he had almost 500 sugar, I have to say that he did not accept his condition and that he did what he wanted regarding food, not putting the insulinIf their parents were not aware, etc.) What would have happened if I inject the glucagon to that boy?Who would have taken charge of such a tremendous mistake?The parents would have denounced me for the damage caused to their son, even if it had been with all the good will of the world?I already give you the answer: they would have denounced me.We are not trained to treat diseases.Another thing is that most have empathy and put on our part, but you must also understand that we are completely unprotected.
And yes, we also ask for the figure of a school nurse, but do you know one thing?The administration does not pay us attention.It is the whole of the parents who can pressure by manifestations and leaving in the press.But not the few (among all those who are) whose child is diabetic or has epilepsy or other condition or disease, but all united, to one.And coming out in the press.And if necessary because a minor suffers any damage due to the lack of that important figure, to the court.And yes, most of the teachers would join the parents in that claim.And I say that it is a matter of all parents because no child is exempt from needing that health at some point, or by a fall, or because he gets sick in the center ...
Please, do not load more luggage behind us than we have already been thanks to the administration and politicians.Most (there are always exceptions) we try to do things as well as possible and imply as much as possible.But we are also afraid because we are not formed and also if they come badly we are alone, nobody shows for us.Personally, I assure you that I am the first to try to help students, but I also tell you that I do not administer a glucagon, for example, without making sure it is a hiccup.Just as I would not administer insulin before a hyper because I do not know that child's reaction to insulin, how much do I have to put, etc.Because no, many parents leave things there and they don't give you a single instruction.Only one if you have it high puts insulin.But how much?We have no medical training, the little we know is based on these forums, the Internet, of some distance course ...
I understand you, I understand the parents who care.Please, try to understand us too, the teachers

The thing isI do not understand a diabetic child without control, without a sensor or at least glucometer.You did very well, nobody is fortune teller and tremendous responsibility.

isabelbota's profile photo
isabelbota
08/02/2022 10:25 a.m.

DM 2 con páncreas agotado desde diciembre 2020. 51 años entonces.
HG diciembre 2020: 15.9. Última HG: julio 2024 5.8
Abasaglar 9 unidades. Metformina, 1000/0/1000. Humalog junior: 2 unid en desayuno y luego en función de lo que coma.

You just think that it is a problem or "brown" and that causes you rejection and do not take it with the interest you should.And as a child passes something for lack of attention, do you think that it will not be your responsibility?Of course.You have to have an action protocol.Do not sneak out with the comment that there is no nurse.That is an excuse to evade responsibility.Because while there is no nurse, what do we do?children can't go to school?Give me an answer.In my case, all teachers are trained because from the diabetes association he was responsible and gave a workshop to teachers who had class with the child.You have to know how to act in case of hypoglycemia that is the most dangerous.Most children go with glucometro, reactive strips, sensor, everything.Obviously you will not administer glucagon if you don't know what it is and at what time.The point is that you do not love training either so as not to take more responsibility.But while the child is at school, it is the responsibility of the school that the child is attended, but who ???. From firms, manifestations, all that is phenomenal but while also understanding parents of young children who do not know howTo happen something and are not going to be treated.

imelda's profile photo
imelda
08/02/2022 7:32 p.m.

@imelda, the only responsibility of the school is to call 112, the rest is all will, that is the problem that there is no health in charge of the child.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
08/02/2022 8:45 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)

ruthbia said:
@imelda I understand what you say but something that has been very clear to me throughout the years is that there is a big difference between teachers and teachers.
Teachers teach disciplines and teachers in addition to disciplines educated you in values, behavior, etc.

Today all are teachers and they cannot be asked to be responsible for the diseases of any child, as @CGS says there are not only diabetics, there are epileptics, attention deficit, etc.And his thing is that there is a health professional in each center, as in the companies of more than X number of workers.
The teacher can be wrong, or arrive late because they are many children claiming and you cannot be aware of everyone in a recess, for example, and then who protects him in case of denunciation of those parents?

No one, nobody protects us, because the administration to which the exit leaves us leaves us and there we manage

cgs's profile photo
cgs
08/02/2022 9:41 p.m.

Diagnosticada de DM en enero de 2019, con tres generaciones (yo sería la cuarta) de diabéticos tipo 1 en la familia
En principio DM2 por resistencia a la insulina asociada a SOP (sin tener en cuenta los antecedentes familiares)
Ultimas Hemos: 7,2 (26/12/2023); 6,7 (12/2/2023, al mes de empezar con Rybelsus 3mg)

imelda said:
you just think it is a problem or "brown" and that causes you rejection and do not take it with the interest you should.And as a child passes something for lack of attention, do you think that it will not be your responsibility?Of course.You have to have an action protocol.Do not sneak out with the comment that there is no nurse.That is an excuse to evade responsibility.Because while there is no nurse, what do we do?children can't go to school?Give me an answer.In my case, all teachers are trained because from the diabetes association he was responsible and gave a workshop to teachers who had class with the child.You have to know how to act in case of hypoglycemia that is the most dangerous.Most children go with glucometro, reactive strips, sensor, everything.Obviously you will not administer glucagon if you don't know what it is and at what time.The point is that you do not love training either so as not to take more responsibility.But while the child is at school, it is the responsibility of the school that the child is attended, but who ???. From firms, manifestations, all that is phenomenal but while also understanding parents of young children who do not know howTo happen something and are not going to be treated.

Please reread what I have put ... Yes, I put "brown" in the sense that they are situations that, for making a bad decision due to ignorance (I'm glad that in the center you mention formed them,Here each one forms as they can), they can even take us to jail.If you read what I have put, I have never refused to attend to anyone, in fact, I have actively involved myself, I know what I have to do ... but if I have no evidence that that child has been unconscious byA hypo I am not going to prick the glucagon ... that on the other hand, it is not so simple to use it (I know howinsulin -dependent diabetics), not all teachers are trained for it (and no, they do not form us, and no, we cannot go on our own courses because 99.99% of them coincide in school hours and no, they do not give us permissionfor it).
On the other hand, it is not that we do not want the training, the responsibility ... look, if I felt supported by all (starting with the administration for which I work), if I knew that if I am wrong about something the parents do notThey are going to throw my neck, if they really give me that training ... I understand (and I know) that while in the school are the teachers responsible, but I reiterate what I said in the previous message ... we are not trained toThis, we are not toilets, we do not have the knowledge for it, if we are wrong, the responsibility is ours, and although it did not have criminal repercussions, you will always load with it ...
And we return to the usual.It seems that everyone knows our profession and our obligations.Well, among our obligations is not to give a drug to a student.Surprise!And why not appear?Simple, we are not toilets.Does all cost us so much to claim something that we, the teachers, have been asking for years?It seems that yes, and that it is preferable to blame us for not wanting to do something for which we are not formed.
Ah, and we never stop attending a student ... with greater or lesser success.Because one thing is to wash a scratch and put a shiver and another insulin.Or administer a certain medication.Or attend a serious injury.Do not forget that our primary function (at least in ESO and Bach) is to teachA subject and reinforce education that (supposedly) occurs at home.In Primary I do not know how the thing is going.But I know something: in none of the stages we are trained for many of the things that want to impose, nor for the counting of hydrates and the calculation of the necessary insulin, among other things, because it is not a 2+2 = 4,but for each one it is a world ...
By the way, the action protocol better to forget it sometimes: before an epillectic attack they indicate that we immobilize the patient and put a handkerchief or similar between the teeth ... error, is to remove the objects with which it can be given, try to avoidThat the head is hit with the ground (putting for example a folded hunter under)An unconscious diabetic child indicates injecting glucagon without checking the level of glucose (it can be unconscious for multiple causes, not only for diabetes) and if it has sweating and tremors, administer water with sugar, without looking at glucose ...

cgs's profile photo
cgs
08/02/2022 9:55 p.m.

I do not want to think that it is a matter of applying a well -paid complement, because perhaps it is a question of training to teachers and teachers and of course with training and remuneration, the best problem would be solved and the only way is that we turn to the streetWith whistles, flutes and sensors .... right?

diabestico's profile photo
diabestico
08/02/2022 10:26 p.m.

@Dabestic, paid accessories are not received by outscape competencies.
It is the toilets who would have to collect them.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
08/03/2022 1:40 a.m.

If in anything the school is now different, it is not only to teach but also educate.And the? Teachers and teachers tell us not only how much boys learn but if they are also motivated, how they learn, their strategies, their autonomy in learning, as conflicts resolve, as they carry out group projects, what their interests andPreferences, which are better.And you do not believe that in this new school values ​​and that children like ours do not feel integrated do not care and do nothing for it?Well, I think so.And in the school of our son they have shown us because in the end it is about being good people.There will be the most Spanish teacher and there will be another one less but the desire to help in all.

evacf's profile photo
evacf
08/03/2022 3:35 p.m.

The glucagon does not need to inject it but the inhaled glucagon is prescribed that is easier to administer.If a diabetic child is unconscious, the first thing one is going to think about is that it has hypoglycemia.Before giving it, it must be verified that it is indeed a decrease in sugar and that can be done quickly with the sensor reader.Nor is it so complicated. I think we are losing common sense a bit.

Ricki21's profile photo
Ricki21
08/03/2022 5:14 p.m.

DM1 desde 1982: Toujeo+Novorapid

@evacf because you will have had or you have, those of my nephews give classes and period.If the child is slow or has a problem they care little or nothing
My friend has a child with attention deficit, she is already 12 years old and in all these years only a teacher who gave her 2 courses involved with him.Luckily his parents have taken professionals and have been on top of him.
In any case, there must be a sanitary in the center.A teacher, however, should not assume that responsibility.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
08/03/2022 9:43 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

But if there is no sanitary, how many are in schools?It is not so difficult, at least from 7 - 8 years, to give slogans which is the normal range, when a juice has to be taken, when to make measurements _ before eating -, how the glucagon is put on and when to callTo the parents.If there is good will on the part of the school and support in whatever parents and the child can get along.

evacf's profile photo
evacf
08/03/2022 11:11 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.