{'en': 'The hidden and narrow relationship between breast cancer and diabetes: thus feedback', 'es': 'La relación oculta y estrecha entre el cáncer de mama y la diabetes: así se retroalimentan'} Image

The hidden and narrow relationship between breast cancer and diabetes: thus feedback

fer's profile photo   05/31/2022 7:45 p.m.

Cancer cells are extremely sweet: they need glucose continuously - at much higher levels than normal cells - to get enough energy that makes them multiply without brake.That is why some cancers with type 2 diabetes have been related, that is, with the inability to regulate blood glucose levels.

However, so far the mechanism that closely relates diabetes and cancer was unknown.A new study published in Nature Cell Biology offers the first explanation to this relationship and adventure a new clinical route to combat breast cancer growth.

The link was already suspected for a long time.Patients diagnosed with pancreatic cancer already had high blood sugar levels for three years before, and those with higher sugar levels had a larger tumor size.

Colon and breast cancers also seem closely linked to endocrine pathology.In addition, it had already proven how the use of metformin, the main medication for type 2 diabetes, reduced the risk of incidence and mortality from cancer.

The current study has focused on breast cancer.Women with diabetes have a risk of up to 27% greater than those who do not.On the other hand, two years before the diagnosis of the tumor, the risk of diabetes grows, which is maintained during the next decade: it is 20% higher than in women of the same age without breast cancer.

communication between cells

Researchers at the San Diego School of Medicine, from the University of California, have described a mechanism that can connect both diseases and that points to extracellular vesicles as the main responsible.

These elements are responsible for communication between cells.They are simply a container made of lipids that transport molecules from one place to another: proteins, other lipistic, nucleic acids and even organelles of the cells themselves.

Shizhen Emily Wang, professor at the San Diego School of Medicine and team leader who conducted the study, describes cancer cells as "sweet tooth."Increasing blood glucose allows them to feed more "and, while, they deprive normal cells of essential nutrients."

Cancer cells would use extracellular vesicles to transport MIR-122, a micro RNA (a non-coding RNA molecule that serves to regulate the expression of the genes), to the pancreas, where it would enter the Langerhans islets to alter its function ofMaintain the proper level of glucose.

The investigation has been carried out in mice.Those who showed high levels of MIR-122 or who had a breast tumor were not able to secrete insulin and production a high amount of glucose.By inhibiting the secretion of the micro RNA, it was possible to stop tumor growth.

MIR-122 levels were associated with glucose and lack of insulin.Therefore, the authors conclude that the glycemic deterioration caused by extracellular vesicles can control the progression of the tumor and the incidence of type 2 diabetes in some patients with breast cancer.

In this regard, a medicine that inhibits MIR-122 as a potential treatment for hepatitis C is already being studied in people, since it is known that this micro RNA contributes to an efficient replication of the virus.

So far, this drug has been effective restoring insulin production levels and suppressing tumor growth of breast cancer in mice models.The next step will be to demonstrate its potential in humans.

"well raised hypothesis"

The oncologist Juan de la Haba, specialized in breast cancer, considers the study "aVery well raised hypothesis ", which delves into a line of previous research but that takes another step by suggesting the mechanism that relates both diseases.

"It is good news for the identification of a different mechanism that links breast cancer and diabetes."Haba explains that, despite the promising of metformin ("an oral antidiabetic, very used and safe") and its good results in cell lines, its translation to humans did not generate conclusive answers.

Now, the approach of a microarn that can influence tumor growth "is a novel hypothesis" that will have to be verified, in addition to breast cancer, in others such as colorectal or prostate.

The vowel of the Spanish Society of Medical Oncology points out that the effect of glucose control has also tried to study in cancer, "but the works have been methodologically improvable."

The idea is that, if some people with diabetes can see the remission of their disease by wearing a very strict diet, it could also serve to avoid glucose consumption by tumor cells.

Thus, research on intermittent fasting and other diets have been carried out, although its results are confused.However, Haba is optimistic: "There is a line of work with scientific activity, but it still needs to be defined."

fer's profile photo
fer
05/31/2022 7:45 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Fuck, there is something that is not related to diabetes, it seems that we have all the ballots, 😬😬😬

andrespmat's profile photo
andrespmat
05/31/2022 8:01 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Yes, the truth @Fer I think these posts do not add anything positive to our moral ...

isabelbota's profile photo
isabelbota
05/31/2022 8:14 p.m.

DM 2 con páncreas agotado desde diciembre 2020. 51 años entonces.
HG diciembre 2020: 15.9. Última HG: julio 2024 5.8
Abasaglar 9 unidades. Metformina, 1000/0/1000. Humalog junior: 2 unid en desayuno y luego en función de lo que coma.

What a joy, enter the forum and meet this post

diabestico's profile photo
diabestico
05/31/2022 9:52 p.m.

This forum deals with several diseases encompassed in "diabetes" ...

I don't know what you are surprised ...

Information is power and it's fine to study all this.Of course diabetes plays an important role in the possible development of other diseases, starting with oxidative stress to which we are continuously exposed.

anif's profile photo
anif
05/31/2022 10:29 p.m.

DM2 (2019)

This is @anif

That is the reality of diabetes, although some in the world of Yupi, prefer only the good news

andrespmat
05/31/2022 10:34 p.m.

By God .... What will have to do with oxidative stress with Yupi's worlds?

diabestico
05/31/2022 11:35 p.m.

Another reason for feeding Keto or Low Carb

Alerr's profile photo
Alerr
05/31/2022 11:45 p.m.

Today the press collects in several media the same news, I thought it was a relevant topic to share it, I do not come to assess whether it is positive or negative, I see it more as a fact related to diabetes and who knows, if following this researchMeasures are taken in the future that can improve our treatment, or anticipate possible problems with other diseases.

fer's profile photo
fer
06/01/2022 9:10 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

diabetic said:
by God .... what will have to do with oxidative stress with the worlds of yupi?
The first scientific article in this regard found in Google:
Link
;)

anif's profile photo
anif
06/01/2022 9:43 a.m.

DM2 (2019)

@Fer for me is important, although I am positive, I am very realistic and I like to know everything about diabetes, sometimes these information put our feet on the floor and how you say you can anticipate the problems, that although we do not want one day they arrive!!

andrespmat
06/01/2022 10:03 a.m.

All the information we have is fine, but come on, that is true, everything is related to diabetes ...

Carussa's profile photo
Carussa
06/01/2022 10:52 a.m.

DM1 desde octubre de 2019 | Toujeo + Fiasp | FreeStyle | febrero 2023: HbA1c 5,7

Of course, everything has to do with diabetes and air we breathe and the water we drink and food, all this influences that we develop a cancer, just like diabetes, but we don't think about it every time we drink a glass ofwater

diabestico
06/01/2022 11:59 a.m.

@Fer, everything is important because as diabetics we have more risk factors that may be activated or not.

I have learned these days that what before or some call "predisposition to a disease" has long since designated himself scientifically as a "risk factor";It is a probability of having or not having x things.I conceive the risk factor, measures can be taken to eliminate or reduce it as much as possible.

In our case it is clear that having Normaglycemia 100% of each day would be ideal.Our risk factor is triggered with hemoglobin> 7 and other parameters such as GVI, pgs, deviation .... etc.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
06/01/2022 2:07 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Link

diabestico
06/01/2022 2:11 p.m.

diabetic said:
Link

Charlatanes there are lots .... everything for selling a sensationalist news.

I have only given credibility to scientific publications in prestigious magazines.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
06/01/2022 2:14 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Do you mean that the water we drink is harmless?and the food ...

diabestico
06/01/2022 3:37 p.m.

@Ruthbia do not worry that as long as you do not admit that diabetes is great, it will continue, it admits that diabetes is great and stop, meanwhile garlic and water 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

andrespmat
06/01/2022 3:45 p.m.

@Diabestico I have not said that the water is harmless, but the article you mention seems pure sensationalism with nothing tested and scientist approved behind.

People who live in rural populations with a healthy life, also sick of young cancer and other pathologies.

On the other hand, we cannot live in a bubble, the water will be very bad according to you and the air, but since we are born they are part of our environment and "we are immunized."The human body adapts and mutates with the environment, like all living beings but we would all be dead.

Worse pollution that China or the US has does not have Spain and I do not see that they all die.His life expectancy is close to ours.Of course, they have more risk factor than us, but it does not imply that it is directly proportional.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
06/01/2022 7:46 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

The article I have put is not the Bible, I agree on your doubts, but I have put it as an example, there are hundreds on the Internet in the same terms.
Our life expectancy is the greatest in the world, or after Japan, do not compare it with the US or China, ling to first is much lower than ours and is going down and we get almost 10 years out of China

diabestico
06/01/2022 10:16 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.