{'en': 'Mother asks school nurses: "My son with diabetes, they have told me not to school"', 'es': 'Madre pide enfermeros escolares: "Mi hijo con diabetes, me han llegado a decir que no le escolarice"'} Image

Mother asks school nurses: "My son with diabetes, they have told me not to school"

fer's profile photo   10/03/2022 10:08 a.m.

A mother has started a request on the Change.org platform to request school nurses in Castilla-La Mancha, and has already collected more than 300 signatures.

As explained, his son Lucas has type 1 diabetes since July and is only 3 years old.“Right now in a matter of minutes, it goes from having high level sugar to very low levels, so much that a misfortune can be passed out and occurs.This type of illness can appear at any time in the life of a child and has nothing to do with his food or his lifestyle, ”according to Europa Press.

Lucas has started school this year and, according to his mother, he is being “a disaster”, he goes out with the sugar in 300 than with hypoglycemia.According to his mother, the little one is measured alone but sometimes they do not remember him and can pass more than an hour and a half without controlling.

“We have asked for a nurse who can control and prick when he needs it, but we are still waiting and even if they authorize it, it will only be temporarily.I have been told that I do not school or adapt my life to the circumstances of my house, of course, none of this in writing, ”says Aurora, the mother.

As stated, if your child had another type of disease or disability, it would be attended at school, but in the case of Lucas, as insulin must be click, "they don't take over."All this, as his mother recalls, violates his right to education, article 27 of the Constitution, and his right to equality, article 14.

“It is not just for him, tomorrow could be your son, the son of your friends or your nephew to which the same thing with this or other disease happened.We need school nurses to take care of our children in school, give you the medicines and care that, unfortunately many of them need to live. ”

According to Law 5/2014 on Social and Legal Protection of Children and Adolescents of Castilla-La Mancha, childhood attention has “budget priority” and the measures adopted have to favor the “full social integration of minors"But, according to this mother," it is not being fulfilled. ""Every day that happens at school is a day when we live with the fear that something can happen to you," he says.

Unions like Anpe have been claiming it years ago: having nurses or school nurses “is not a luxury but a need.It is also claimed by nursing schools.In September 2020, and during the first year of the Covid-19 Pandemia, the Ministry of Education hired for the "emergency route" to 23 professionals for the province of Toledo.The contracts were made for that school year.Education explained then that "Toledo was the province where we needed.The other provinces were covered. ”

According to the data of the School Nursing Observatory of the General Nursing Council (CGE) corresponding to 2021, Castilla-La Mancha only had 22 professionals hired for more than 300,000 students.

fer's profile photo
fer
10/03/2022 10:08 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Unfortunately, it happens in all communities, which I know.They are reluctant to put the figure of the school nurse because it costs money and if we are already the teachers, what to spend more.Come on for the administration (and I don't care for the color of what is) teachers have to be everything: nurses, psychologists, doctors ... and bureaucrats.And then, if there is time, what we really are: teachers.We also claim the figure of the school nurse, but ... the only ones who can make strength of the parents.Above all, leaving in the press ... with the support of everything (or at least the majority) of the teaching staff you already counted, but if the society, the parents, the grandparents ... we do not get anything because for the administration weWe are little less than anything.

cgs's profile photo
cgs
10/03/2022 11:46 p.m.

Diagnosticada de DM en enero de 2019, con tres generaciones (yo sería la cuarta) de diabéticos tipo 1 en la familia
En principio DM2 por resistencia a la insulina asociada a SOP (sin tener en cuenta los antecedentes familiares)
De momento, solo con Forxiga y Rybelsus (7mg) por la mañana
La glucosa hace lo que le da la gana
Ultimas Hemos: 7,2 (26/12/2023); 6,7 (12/2/2023, al mes de empezar con Rybelsus 3mg)
Última hemo: 6

It is a very big responsibility for teachers outside their powers.While it is very expensive to have nursing in each center, there should be at least one in each area with that service so that diabetic students and with other ailments that require support can be school without risk.

Ensalada's profile photo
Ensalada
10/04/2022 11:43 a.m.

LADA desde septiembre de 2021
Toujeo y Fiasp
Aprendiendo

I am DM1 since the age of four, 1970, when insulin did not come in feathers but in glass roads and the syringes and needles had to be boiled in water every morning before going to school.The means that we have today 50 years later are incomparable to the only ones of those times, reactive strips in urine, and especially the stability of today's insulins have nothing to do with those of those times.
Today there are technical means, sensors, bracelets, which allow you to see your child's levels at a distance and notify you in case of hyperglycemia.Your child's endocrine has to be aware that he has to be not only this first year but his entire school life without having his mother permanently at the door of the center and prescribes the insulin/dose/diet appropriate for him, that if50 years ago with what was possible, today it cannot be impossible.Your child does not have an inability and you will see it over time.
I wish you and your child the best.

MFGM's profile photo
MFGM
10/09/2022 2:25 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

mfgm said:
I am dm1 since the ageTo school.The means that we have today 50 years later are incomparable to the only ones of those times, reactive strips in urine, and especially the stability of today's insulins have nothing to do with those of those times.
Today there are technical means, sensors, bracelets, which allow you to see your child's levels at a distance and notify you in case of hyperglycemia.Your child's endocrine has to be aware that he has to be not only this first year but his entire school life without having his mother permanently at the door of the center and prescribes the insulin/dose/diet appropriate for him, that if50 years ago with what was possible, today it cannot be impossible.Your child does not have an inability and you will see it over time.
I wish you you and your child the best.

yolayol's profile photo
yolayol
10/09/2022 3:02 p.m.

I would like school and there was not even glucometer and not talk about nurses and I haven't died

yolayol's profile photo
yolayol
10/09/2022 3:03 p.m.

No one is dead, but if they put a nurse, no one will die, I also sign for nurses in schools, and stop comparing times and count battles we are in 2022 and thank God there are advances, thousands of years ago, thousands of years agoThey lived in caverns, but nobody wants to return to that,

Nurses already in schools and everything they need to control diabetes in schools, for that is the administration, not to give help to the lazy ,,

andrespmat's profile photo
andrespmat
10/09/2022 8:26 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.