{'en': 'Campaign to raise awareness about retinal diseases', 'es': 'Campaña para concienciar sobre las enfermedades de la retina'} Image

Campaign to raise awareness about retinal diseases

fer's profile photo   10/13/2022 12:40 p.m.

The Spanish Company of Retina y Vitreo (SERV), the Association Mácula Retina and the Spanish Federation of Diabetes (FEDE) support the #Miradadosúnicas campaign with the aim of visible and raise awareness about the most frequent diseases of the retina, such as the associated macular degenerationat age (DMAE) and diabetic macular edema (EMD).

On the occasion of the celebration on October 13 of World Vision Day, Roche has promoted the #Miradadosúnicos campaign to raise awareness about the DMAE and EMD, two of the main causes of visual disability and blindness.

Bold by the three scientific societies, this campaign includes the first exhibition of photographs that can protect against these diseases, by simulating some of the symptoms of these pathologies.

Until Tuesday, October 18, a photographic sample will take place on the Paseo de los Cipreses of the City of the Arts and Sciences of Valencia, in which images that project some of the symptoms of these diseases will be exhibited, such as the blurred visionor the difficulty in the central vision.

This initiative also aims to promote periodic reviews to favor an early diagnosis of non -diagnosed cases and contribute to evaluate its risk factors through Roche's website.

Increasing diseases

In this sense, the medical director of Roche Farma Spain, Dr. Beatriz Pérez Sanz, explained that “both the DMAE and the EMD will increase in the coming years.The first, associated with the aging of the population, taking into account that it is the main cause of loss of vision in people over 60 years and, in the case of the diabetic macular edema, because an increase in the prevalence of diabetes is estimated ”.

DMAE constitutes the main cause of central vision loss in the population over 60 years in Western developed countries.Several studies have demonstrated the impact of various risk factors on the appearance and development of the disease.

Some of them are the age, family history, smoking and diet among others.The symptoms of the DMAE are the vision of straight lines as undulating or crooked and the vision of a central spot that prevents, for example, to read.DMAE patients do not completely lose vision, but the central vision is affected.

The EMD is a complication of diabetes that occurs at the level of the visual system and can cause loss of visual acuity.Basically it consists of the inflammation and accumulation of liquid in the macula, which is the central part of the retina responsible for the central vision and the details.It usually occurs in people suffering from diabetic retinopathy in their most advanced phases.

fer's profile photo
fer
10/13/2022 12:40 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

I have always had my eyes very accounts, already before being diabetic.I operate and take away all the diopters, but my eye is still myopic.They say that we have to do controls, but they made me a retinography every year for being diabetic and now they do not do them (they have left them only for type2 every two years: S) and the ophthalmologist, which in recent years I have goneEvery year for the operation and for a medication that I take that can affect the retina and you have to control, my next appointment is for 18 months and I had to insist so that they did not discharge me.
Let us take care of ourselves, to prevent, but in the end to the private one that I will have to go and pay to make me a review and remain calm or put remedy as soon as possible if there is something to manage.

Anaisabel's profile photo
Anaisabel
10/17/2022 5:15 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

They do it every year for diabetes.I wanted to get out of the program and put me back.
It seems good to me that it is measured in the types 2 that has more difficult to control the glycemia and the uncontrolled type 1, but in my case I would prefer to do it when I have the glucose outsourced for months, carrying good control would not be necessary.I hate that the pupil dilates me and be blinding 3-4 hours seeing chiribitas.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
10/17/2022 6:34 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

@Ruthbia, for a classic eye background with the focus pointing to your eyes: P if they dilate you.For a retinography, it is not necessary.They put you in a device, retinographer, and take digital photos of the retina.And for an optical coherence tomography either.

Anaisabel
10/17/2022 7:47 p.m.

Well yes, it must be an eye fund.And they also graduate ... that's the control they do to me.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
10/17/2022 9:17 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

anaisabel said:
@ruthbia, for a classic eye background with the focus pointing to your eyes: P if they dilate you.For a retinography, it is not necessary.They put you in a device, retinographer, and take digital photos of the retina.And for an optical coherence tomography either.

Well, they made me a retinografia recently (the one of type 2 every two years) and I was delayed by the pupil and I was blinded, as Ruthbia says about 4 hours.At home ok, but I couldn't stand the sunlight.

isabelbota's profile photo
isabelbota
10/17/2022 9:38 p.m.

DM 2 con páncreas agotado desde diciembre 2020. 51 años entonces.
HG diciembre 2020: 15.9. Última HG: julio 2024 5.8
Abasaglar 9 unidades. Metformina, 1000/0/1000. Humalog junior: 2 unid en desayuno y luego en función de lo que coma.

anaisabel said:
I have always had very much my eyes, already before being diabetic.I operate and take away all the diopters, but my eye is still myopic.They say that we have to do controls, but they made me a retinography every year for being diabetic and now they do not do them (they have left them only for type2 every two years: S) and the ophthalmologist, which in recent years I have goneEvery year for the operation and for a medication that I take that can affect the retina and you have to control, my next appointment is for 18 months and I had to insist so that they did not discharge me.
Let us take care of ourselves, to prevent, but in the end to the private one that I will have to go and pay to make me a review and stay calm or remedy as soon as possible if there is something to manage.

For diabetes you have to do it every year as a rule, if they don't do it, it claims because it is like that.They do it before, every 5 or 6 months.

meginer's profile photo
meginer
10/18/2022 9:56 a.m.

ruthbia said:
They do it every year for diabetes.I wanted to get out of the program and put me back.
It seems good to me that it is measured in the types 2 that has more difficult to control the glycemia and the uncontrolled type 1, but in my case I would prefer to do it when I have the glucose outsourced for months, carrying good control would not be necessary.I hate that the pupil is delayed and be blinding 3-4 hours seeing chiribitas.

They do not usually dilate me, with the OCT that is like a tac of the eye, everything looks.I recommend that you do not leave the program, even having acceptable control, alterations can be produced, there is a demonstration that above, 6 gly and even less, there may be, and it is very easy to overcome that threshold that we consider good control.

meginer's profile photo
meginer
10/18/2022 10 a.m.

@meginer, because they were diabetic they made me a retinography a year, but now they are only made to type 2.
And to the ophthalmologist, I go for my myopic eye, and for the taking of hydroxychloroquine.The last time they looked at me very well, but I wanted to register, but in the end he will continue to see me.
I believe that the best is the oct.

Anaisabel
10/18/2022 2:56 p.m.

anaisabel said:
@meginer, for being diabetic they made me a retinography a year, but now they only do it to type 2.
And to the ophthalmologist, I go for my myopic eye, and for the taking of hydroxychloroquine.The last time they looked at me very well, but I wanted to register, but in the end he will continue to see me.
I believe that the best is the oct.

The retinography is done in the health C to the type 2 DM. Only type 2. It is a cheap, simple test to perform and enters the things that have to look in the type 2 DM process (glyd, eachSix months- one year, diabetic foot review, annual or biannual retinography).
In type 1, it is the endocrine who has to refer you to the ophthalmologist at least once a year.
When I started, at first they made me background with dilations, angiography (with this yellow contrast that made you urinate fluorescent until you eliminated it).
When the Oct arrived to the hospitals, it was much more comfortable, to me, it is rare that they dilate me because I have a very large iris and looks good without delaying, but if they do not see it well, they can also dilate you.I go every 5 or 6 months because I have some alterations, I have type 1 diabetes for 40 years and I had a very rebellious adolescence without adequate care and I was invoiced, but fortunately I am fine and with a vision of 0.9-1.
I do not know if you are type 1 or 2, but if you are type 1, annual ophthalmologist of the pull, and if you are type 2, retinography in your health C.He is forced and who tells you otherwise lies.

meginer's profile photo
meginer
10/18/2022 3:05 p.m.

Yes, in the health center they made me the retinography.But now they have not only left it for type 2. Why I don't know.
@meginer, I am Type 1. And in ophthalmology (of Social Security) now they have summoned me for 1 year and a half that will be two: S and I will not have diabetes (21 years ago of my diagnosis), they began to see me when I startedto take hydroxycloroquine.
In each community it works differently, and even within the same province.

Anaisabel
10/20/2022 4:18 p.m.

anaisabel said:
yes, in the health center they made me the retinography.But now they have not only left it for type 2. Why I don't know.
@meginer, I am Type 1. And in ophthalmology (of Social Security) now they have summoned me for 1 year and a half that will be two: S and I will not have diabetes (21 years ago of my diagnosis), they began to see me when I startedto take hydroxycloroquine.
In each community it works differently, and even within the same province.

This is what I tell you, that the retinography is only for type 2, for the 1 you have to go to ophthalmology, the first time, derived by the endocrine and then they must send you the revisions.Normally it is once a year if there is no problem, with the Covid theme you may have been delayed.That they see you for the hydroxycloroquine treatment is worth a secondary effect is maculopathy, which is very rare but serious, but also demands that they see you for diabetes.

meginer's profile photo
meginer
10/20/2022 5:54 p.m.

@Ruthbia having a good metabolic control does not completely exempt you from suffering a retinopathy, my advice is the same, you do not trust yourself and do it once a year.

On the other hand, all possible damage is not seen with the background.Four years ago I was diagnosed with a macular edema in the emergency department.I was very surprised because I had had a review recently and they had not detected anything.The answer was that edemas are only seen with a specific scanner of the eye but that this test is not done to all diabetics.
Result, more than a year having to go to the operating room every two months to prick me in the eye ... now I have no edema but I have vitreous detachment and perpetual fly effect.
We can prevent but in social security they are cutting, it is not of our hand.

nigiri's profile photo
nigiri
10/20/2022 8:57 p.m.

DM1 desde 1990 - Fiasp y Toujeo - HG: 6,1

@nigiri, I also have total vitreous detachment in one eye, and I see what they call Weiss ring.I see it when I talk about it, but I don't even remember: P

Anaisabel
10/20/2022 9:19 p.m.

@Anaisabel I have already become accustomed, especially it bothers me when there is a lot of clarity but I wear the sunglasses and Apañao

nigiri's profile photo
nigiri
10/20/2022 10:46 p.m.

I delayed the appointment to January, but they only make me background and graduation.
I am very tired of going to the doctor, every time I have it worse, and take medications .... Puffff, worse.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
10/20/2022 11:17 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Logical, @ruthbia

nigiri's profile photo
nigiri
10/21/2022 6:56 p.m.

Hello
I have been made in two years 3 retinographies, 2 of him with a yellow contrast that had 2 days urinating yellow and the face like that of an Asian and now they are giving me laser sessions.

JMJPN's profile photo
JMJPN
10/23/2022 11:24 p.m.

They did the contrast also and you are all day urinating yellowThey saw the retinopathy in one eye, without the need for angio, they gave me 4 argon laser sessions, in addition I also have cataracts associated with diabetes for now small and that prevent me from seeing well but it is not exaggerated, they are waiting for the retinopathic eye to beStabilize a little to remove them operating, I start with retinopathy and a 7.8 glycIn the end they harm

Rogerix's profile photo
Rogerix
10/24/2022 2:03 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.