{'en': '25,000 diabetes deaths in Spain could be avoided with diabetological education', 'es': '25.000 muertes por diabetes en España podrían evitarse con educación diabetológica'} Image

25,000 diabetes deaths in Spain could be avoided with diabetological education

fer's profile photo   11/09/2022 11:05 a.m.

25,000 people a year die as a result of diabetes, of which 18,400 do so due to lack of adhesion to treatment, according to the data provided by the Spanish Diabetes Federation (Fede).Deaths that could be avoided with the figure of therapeutic nursing in diabetes, professionals in diabetological education and training that offer quality care to more than six million patients with diabetes that exist today.

The lack of adhesion to treatment, the shortage of new technologies or the lack of expert nurses in this area are some of the reasons that lead to diabetes to occur as a chronic disease that generates a multitude of complications in those who suffer from it.

Since 2019, the number of people suffering from diabetes has increased by 42%, a figure that represents a sanitary expenditure of 5,809 million euros per year and that, according to the growth forecasts of this pathology in the population, will increase.A pathology that not only affects those who suffer it, but also their families and that also presents a series of cardiovascular complications that can drastically condition their life.

Health education is the only way out to avoid death by diabetes, however, nurses, which are the key collective to address this disease, are without technological resources and without access to quality training to be able to offer care of careExcellence to these chronic patients.

“Diabetes educating nurses are key to enhancing healthy lifestyle habits and facilitating good treatments.The General Nursing Council has been prioritizing and making a professionalization of this education that is key.Nurses and nurses must be well formed and have the update of top -level training.

The problem is that there are few diabetes expert nurses because there is no accreditation diploma, a national recognition that guarantees that the people who occupy these positions have that preparation to offer maximum excellence care, ”says Diego Ayuso, general secretary, secretaryof the General Nursing Council.

"Educating to protect the future" is the motto they have used from the Spanish Diabetes Federation (Fede) to commemorate World Diabetes Day, which is celebrated on November 14, whose central axis is diabetological education and training.In addition to nurse training, another key aspect is health education.“It is fine to focus on health spending and therapeutic aspects, but health education must be done and stop the wave of diabetes patients that comes to us.Patients with diabetes with adequate therapeutic education must be made self -employed.And you also have to be professionals and handle new technologies perfectly, ”says Mª José Picón, vice president of the Spanish Diabetes Society (SED).

Self -care is another issue of relevance in diabetes prevention.Having healthy lifestyle habits, good food and practicing exercise are aspects that each patient can perform to have a better health state, but for this it is required.“It is necessary to improve the quality of life of people with this pathology and their relatives and reduce the health cost for diabetes.But the real participation of patients in decision making is also key.This is already a request made by Fede to the Ministry of Health, through the integration of the entity into different work groups and today we are still waiting for an answer, ”concludes Juan Francisco Perán, president of Fede.

fer's profile photo
fer
11/09/2022 11:05 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Yes, in this we go to all ... And if we do not put on our side ...
Every time I visit my nurse tells me that I have 10 graphics, that they do not see them the same, that if all their patients acted like me, then they would not take surprises ... he told me that there are many people that cost himGet to 70% range and it is not because they explain to me different than the rest, but there are people who do not take it seriously, continue with their bad diet and bad habits: drink, tobacco, ...

Cassie's profile photo
Cassie
11/09/2022 11:17 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Twenty years ago I am type 2 diabetic, with pancreas today and insulin -dependent for four years.In the first moment I started to put insulin, Lantus and Novorrapid, I asked me to quote with a diabetic educator and they told me that there was no specialty and that they met me for the nurse that corresponded to me by area.Well, at that moment I realized that I knew less than I in diabetes;He did not even tell me how long an insulin pen can be outside the fridge, nor how the rations were calculated to calculate the amount of insulin in each intake, yes, I insisted EM that had to prick up to three times with thesame needle, I suppose to save material.I also have to say that as type 2 diabetics make me feel as if I was to blame for my diabetes for having led a bad life and without taking care of myself, when it's the opposite.For more than a year I have been the Freestyle Two sensor, which I finance me, since I suffer from hypoglycemia without any prior notice symptom and I have peripheral diabetic neuropathy for three years.Being diabetic of type two, even if I insulin four times a day, I have no right to finance social security.Thanks to the sensor I have lowered the glycosylated to 6.2 and I feel much safer.Thanks to the members of this forum, since I learn a lot from all the experiences you explain.

Crucita76 years
Type 2 diabetes for twenty years and exhausted pancreas.
Insulin -dependent for four years.
24 Lantus solostar and novorapid 7-6-7
Chronic asthma, Hasimoto thyroiditis, peripheral diabetic neuropathy,

Crucita's profile photo
Crucita
11/09/2022 4:19 p.m.

crucita said:
twenty years ago I am type 2 diabetic, with pancreas today and insulin -dependent for four years.In the first moment I started to put insulin, Lantus and Novorrapid, I asked me to quote with a diabetic educator and they told me that there was no specialty and that they met me for the nurse that corresponded to me by area.Well, at that moment I realized that I knew less than I in diabetes;He did not even tell me how long an insulin pen can be outside the fridge, nor how the rations were calculated to calculate the amount of insulin in each intake, yes, I insisted EM that had to prick up to three times with thesame needle, I suppose to save material.I also have to say that as type 2 diabetics make me feel as if I was to blame for my diabetes for having led a bad life and without taking care of myself, when it's the opposite.For more than a year I have been the Freestyle Two sensor, which I finance me, since I suffer from hypoglycemia without any prior notice symptom and I have peripheral diabetic neuropathy for three years.Being diabetic of type two, even if I insulin four times a day, I have no right to finance social security.Thanks to the sensor I have lowered the glycosylated to 6.2 and I feel much safer.Thanks to the members of this forum, since I learn a lot from all the experiences you explain.

Crucita76 years
Type 2 diabetes for twenty years and exhausted pancreas.
Insulin -dependent for four years.
24 Lantus solostar and novorapid 7-6-7
Chronic asthma, Hasimoto thyroiditis, peripheral diabetic neuropathy,

I am also type2, insulin -dependent and have given me zero diabetological education.I have learned here and for my brother, which is type 1.
I agree with you that many professionals know nothing.My doctor has told me everything when I asked what I immediately decided not to ask and learn for myself.And I buy the sensor from the beginning on the recommendation of my brother and I think it is the best investment I make.
Because effectively type 2 have us abandoned.I have a friend who is also type 2, he has never lowered his 7.5 glyc, and all the control he has is once every fifteen days they make an emptyneous blood glucose.They do not give it a glucometer because it only takes metformin, which is clear that it does not work, because that glycosilada is not good.
But it's type 2 ...

isabelbota's profile photo
isabelbota
11/09/2022 10:17 p.m.

DM 2 con páncreas agotado desde diciembre 2020. 51 años entonces.
HG diciembre 2020: 15.9. Última HG: julio 2024 5.8
Abasaglar 9 unidades. Metformina, 1000/0/1000. Humalog junior: 2 unid en desayuno y luego en función de lo que coma.

If from the head doctor they do not look bad we are going and despite the one in spite of the thing is like that, it will continue to die a lot of people.They discovered it because I was quite bad for the emergency room, the point is that in the head doctor they already knew my bad habits for many years and they never warned me, I could have been one of those dead ...

Pyrri's profile photo
Pyrri
11/11/2022 12:43 a.m.

Diabetes Tipo 2 (2014) con 38 años - Neuropatía Diabética (2013) - Polineuropatía Diabética sensitiva axonal moderado-grave en miembros inferiores (2021) - Jubilado en 2022 con 45 años. (Synjardy (Mettformina) - Trulicity - Ozempic - Gabapentina). HBA1c: 4,5%. Discapacidad del 35% - Presbicia con 45 años (ya no veo de cerca, pero no hay retinopatía diabética en los ojos). Abuela materna y Abuela paterna e tíos diabéticos tipo 1

Well chic@s it seems that it is already a fact and social security will begin to finance every type 2 diabetic that requires insulin with the sensor.They have finally made a fair and right decision, I hope that those who do not use it are encouraged to try it, I have met diabetic people who have rejected it, I suppose they prefer to live in ignorance, but they would take an important turn to their illness and theway of carrying it.The only thing that regrets that they do not extend it to all type 2.

Cassie's profile photo
Cassie
11/14/2022 10:39 a.m.

Cassie said:
good chic@s it seems that it is already a fact and social security will begin to finance every type 2 diabetic that requires insulin with the sensor.They have finally made a fair and right decision, I hope that those who do not use it are encouraged to try it, I have met diabetic people who have rejected it, I suppose they prefer to live in ignorance, but they would take an important turn to their illness and theway of carrying it.The only thing I regret is that they do not extend it to all type 2.

At least they should start giving means to types 2, which do not give a glucometer to pills.It is a shame.

isabelbota's profile photo
isabelbota
11/14/2022 12:48 p.m.

DM 2 con páncreas agotado desde diciembre 2020. 51 años entonces.
HG diciembre 2020: 15.9. Última HG: julio 2024 5.8
Abasaglar 9 unidades. Metformina, 1000/0/1000. Humalog junior: 2 unid en desayuno y luego en función de lo que coma.

I totally agree @isabelbota, before they should have started and make it extendable to everyone, but as the saying says "better late, that never" and if here you climb and scratch in improvements, then welcome ...Much information is missing from this disease so unknown to many, from head doctors to health centers nurses.It seems that when they took their career they taught them the basics.And I say it because of the experience I had in my debut, 3 months treated as type 2 for not doing a sad analytical to confirm antibodies ... verifying that they had a total ignorance about the treatment and false hopes they gave me, that I couldRevert simply with good nutrition.

Cassie's profile photo
Cassie
11/14/2022 3:33 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.