{'en': 'Does diabetes affect your ability to drive?', 'es': '¿Afecta la diabetes a tú capacidad para conducir?'} Image

Does diabetes affect your ability to drive?

fer's profile photo   11/28/2022 5:44 p.m.

I copy here an extract of an article on diabetes and driving ... and I will add my personal opinion about it.In addition to sharing my experience, I would like to ask about yours, what experiences have you had driving?Is it really justified that we have to renew the driving license more often for having diabetes?

"Diabetes can produce acute metabolic problems such as hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia. In the first case it is low glucose concentrations. In the second the situation is reverse.

Hypoglycemia can affect vision, some cognitive functions and general orientation.Hyperglycemia has similar effects.In addition, it can produce events that jeopardize life such as diabetic ketoacidosis or non -ketosic hyperosmolar syndrome.

Without reaching that extreme, metabolic problems can produce reactions that affect the performance of drivers.Severe hypoglycemia can produce sudden loss of consciousness.However, most hypoglycemia are moderate.

Certain alarm symptoms are tremors, palpitations and sweat.However, some individuals cannot recognize that an episode of hypoglycemia is taking place.Although it does not lead to the extreme of losing awareness, hypoglycemia can cause difficulties to concentrate, lack of coordination, visual difficulties and dizziness.

Hypoglycemia can reduce reaction times, reduce the speed to perform complex tasks, slowness in visual processing and the detection of complex visual stimuli, difficulties in sustaining attention, reduction in coordination between hands and eyes,, and difficulties in controlling anger and irritability.High carbohydrate meal intake and drinks can reverse hypoglycemia quite quickly.

Having diabetes has been related to a greater risk of colliding compared to not having that condition.

However, the difference is small and does not justify restrictions to grant them the driver's license.Prevention is important but it is not usual.

Education and training to detect episodes of hypoglycemia in the context of traffic, its effects and how to act in these cases are useful tools.Involving doctors and health personnel in this task can be a good initiative.The exam moments to obtain or renew the driver's license are also. "

And here my reflection, in almost 25 years with diabetes, I have never met a situation of "risky risk by diabetes", I currently have a continuous monitor, in the car I always carry some juice, sweets, cookies, etc ... somethingWhat I can see if I get in a hypoglycemia situation.

I leave the situation of hyperglycemia out of consideration, I do not believe that there is any situation in which I had a risk for that reason.

In addition to carrying the monitor, I still detect quite well when a hypoglycemia situation cantension, or I will be wanting to vomit, or had a heart attack, etc ...

In conclusion, I do not believe that diabetes affects the driving capabilities of people, from my point of view, it is not justified in any way, nor that there is still today, a discrimination of people with diabetes about the renewal or obtaining of theDriving license, I think it is rather something that should be corrected and that it would make it easier for us to feel more integrated into society.

What do you think?

Greetings,

fer's profile photo
fer
11/28/2022 5:44 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Totally agree.
I already firm to repeal the restriction of the driving card, but I think it has not come to fruition

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
11/28/2022 9:09 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Yes, in fact we are more responsible .... I move in a motorcycle to work and before riding I always look at my glucose.In fact last week as I saw that I was starting to go down by leaps and bounds (although it was not hip), I waited until the situation was normalized to take it.
And as for the card, if it must be renewed every 5 years, that we are going to do onlyIt is clearly discrimination on the authorities.

Cassie's profile photo
Cassie
11/29/2022 10:44 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Last June I renewed the driver's license and for saying that I saw better from afar, because I had operated the two eyes of cataracts, they have only given me a validity for three years.

RUBIOARES's profile photo
RUBIOARES
12/04/2022 6:20 p.m.

andrespmat's profile photo
andrespmat
12/09/2022 2:56 p.m.

I don't know the case, do you have link to the news or something?

As long as some isolated news appears of the style, it is often a matter rather of sensationalist treatment by the media, than a real problem that we have daily, such as gender violence.

I mean that I do not deny that it can happen, but you have to put in context, how many cases are given a year?And if we compare it to the people who have accidents using the mobile?Or have you drunk?Or by distractions?

That there is a case does not mean that it is a generalized and habitual problem, in fact, that they take out the news is already indicative that it is not usual.

fer's profile photo
fer
12/09/2022 3:26 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

I would wait for the poor man's autopsy.The news is to sue the journalist."For lack of insulin, I enter hypoglycemia" ... or something.
Link

Lucia70's profile photo
Lucia70
12/09/2022 3:51 p.m.

Well, nothing, confirms what he said ... sensationalist to not be able to ... 🤣🤣🤣

fer's profile photo
fer
12/09/2022 4:01 p.m.

I have seen it in the news .... An older man ... Dt2?He died of a heart attack, the hypoglycemia is an addition.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
12/09/2022 4:01 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

How we like to generalize

diabestico's profile photo
diabestico
12/09/2022 4:20 p.m.

With hypoglycemia TB is the grandson and is not diabetic.
Mr. Mayor died of a heart attack ...

isabelbota's profile photo
isabelbota
12/09/2022 4:32 p.m.

DM 2 con páncreas agotado desde diciembre 2020. 51 años entonces.
HG diciembre 2020: 15.9. Última HG: julio 2024 5.8
Abasaglar 9 unidades. Metformina, 1000/0/1000. Humalog junior: 2 unid en desayuno y luego en función de lo que coma.

lucia70 said:
I would wait for the autopsy of the poor man.The news is to sue the journalist."For lack of insulin, I enter hypoglycemia" ... or something.
Link ;utm_source=twitter& ;utm_Medium=social_besocy& ;utm_campaign=besocyem01

Totally, for "an episode of lack of insulin" died of hypoglycemia ...
Like the one who dies of hunger because of a binge ... 😂😂😂
God, what ignorance of the subject ...

isabelbota
12/09/2022 4:35 p.m.

Abasaglar 9 unidades. Metformina, 1000/0/1000. Humalog junior: 2 unid en desayuno y luego en función de lo que coma.

andrespmat's profile photo
andrespmat
12/09/2022 4:41 p.m.

For that rule of three, no one could drive, we are all a danger at the wheel, anyone can give an stroke.All cities have been filled with defibrillators, not only Spain, I have seen them in UK, USA, France, .... Metro streets, hotels, public organizations, companies, etc.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
12/09/2022 5 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

According to the TV channel you see.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
12/09/2022 8:58 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

I would like to understand that a hypoglycemia can lead to a micro infarction ... I think it's the first time I read it .../

fer's profile photo
fer
12/09/2022 8:58 p.m.

It seems that the grandfather was in depression treatment ... and that he had severe hypoglycemia.The child is in the ICU with damage to the brain.
They are investigating what happened.
It took more than a day to find them ..

Regina's profile photo
Regina
12/10/2022 12:37 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

fer said:
I would like to understand that a hypoglycemia can lead to a micro infarction ... I think it is the first time I read it ...:/

True, I have been searching for different hospitals and everyone says the same, severe hypoglycemia has seizures and loss of knowledge, but do not talk about heart attacks.The same as in the material they gave me when I debuted.

Maybe this man had other added ailments.You have to sell the news and perhaps without the word "hypoglycemia" it is not sold

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
12/10/2022 10:06 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

This man had suicidal ideas according to the family and was the first hypothesis, and if an insulin was injected sufficient to cause a hypo?In the images of the car that come out on the news, a fast pen is seen, I don't know if you have fixed

diabestico's profile photo
diabestico
12/10/2022 11:16 a.m.

They have ruled out suicide, but everything is possible.
Anyway there is a lot of ignorance of diabetes.I remember that someone here told a movie in which the pilot of a plane is diabetic, gives him a downturn and passes the entire movie looking insulin to recover ... 😂😂😂
And they are supposed to documented ...
It could be hypoglycemia, caused or not, heart attack, by hypoglycemia or not.Or because it was his time ...
The fact is that when the word diabetes appears, Cabalas begins to be made, which will sometimes be true, sometimes not.
And @andrespmat we are not, but sometimes we know more things of diabetes than many doctors (than my head doctor has told me that Coca Cola Zero has sugar, that the gin has sugar, than the orange juice goes up slow... and a thousand more incorrect things).Just because we have touched on the account that brings us and we experience in our body we know a lot.
Nor should we deny everything that is said, or of course believe it, because even if you say no, most news are sensational.

isabelbota
12/10/2022 2:47 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.