{'en': 'The number of people with diabetes in Spain increases by 42% since 2019', 'es': 'El número de personas con diabetes en España se incrementa en un 42% desde 2019'} Image

The number of people with diabetes in Spain increases by 42% since 2019

fer's profile photo   11/16/2022 3:07 p.m.

The number of people with diabetes in Spain has increased by 42% since 2019, according to recent data from the Spanish Diabetes Federation.Almost 6 million Spaniards suffer from this disorder.However, these data are not fully confirmed because there is no diabetes record in our country.

The Spanish Society of Pediatric Endocrinology (SEEP) together with the Spanish Diabetes Society (SED) and the Spanish Society of Endocrinology and Nutrition (SEEN) are collaborating to realize an ambitious and necessary initiative;The First National Registry of Type 1 Diabetes, which will contribute to pay an important deficit compared to other countries in our environment and will lay the foundations for a better knowledge and management of this disease nationwide since it will be able to know the number of peopleWith diabetes in Spain."It will allow us to know the real incidence of type 1 diabetes and better plan resources," says the coordinator of the Diabetes Working Group of the SEEP.

It is estimated that the number of people with diabetes in Spain type 1 in children under 15 ranges between 11 and 24 cases per 100,000 inhabitants/year.But these figures come from partial studies, which use different methodologies and reflect important regional heterogeneity.In children under 15, for example, twice as much incidence is found in Castilla-La Mancha (20.2 cases/100,000hab/year) or Navarra (21.5 cases/100,000hab/year) than in the Basque Country (10.7 cases/100,000hab/year).And different regional trends are observed, with incidence rates that are increasing over the years in communities such as Andalusia, Aragon, Navarra or Extremadura, while in others they remain stable."We need to corroborate if these differences are real or are due to methodological variability," says Dr. Bahillo.

If we want to know the number of people with diabetes in official Spain, this record will undoubtedly need, and cross the data of the different autonomous communities, hopefully it is achieved to talk about real figures and be able to make decisions the sanitary administrations.

fer's profile photo
fer
11/16/2022 3:07 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

My mother, it's a catastrophe!

Ensalada's profile photo
Ensalada
11/16/2022 4:58 p.m.

LADA desde septiembre de 2021
Toujeo y Fiasp
Aprendiendo

What a pity, namely how many people are now so quiet without knowing that they have a disease that is slowly destroying them inside.
And think that it is detected with a simple drop of blood in any pharmacy ...
I don't know about you, but my wife and my children do a fasting test with the glucometer every 2-3 weeks.
Of course nobody wants to be diabetic, but if you are, the ideal is to catch it as soon as possible, right?

Sandman's profile photo
Sandman
11/16/2022 5:31 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Uff, nooo.If they had any indication as a lot of thirst, tiredness, I would use it.But do not overwhelm, I don't see it necessary.

Ensalada's profile photo
Ensalada
11/16/2022 8:16 p.m.

LADA desde septiembre de 2021
Toujeo y Fiasp
Aprendiendo

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.