{'en': 'My life with diabetes', 'es': 'Mi vida con diabetes'} Image

My life with diabetes

Mespe's profile photo   11/29/2022 1:30 a.m.

Good I wanted to count my experience with the disease.I have never spoken in depth about the sick with some other diabetic, so I have always doubted whether my case is normal or rare

Debute with type 1 diabetes at age 18, now I have 30. The first 10 or 11 years I have always felt a privileged one for the easy control I had.I always needed very little insulin.

In those years without taking into account possible fluctuations due to the change of station, etc.I was injected with about 6 or 7 units of Lantus and 2, 1, 1 at Apidra meals.Eating 120gr of pasta I could get to 4 but difficult to need more of that.The glucosilada of a non -diabetic person, without excessive scares by hypos, was as if you did not have to risk to nail the target blood sugar, if I fell short my pancras compensated (honeymoon perhaps).

In addition to the above if I go to the beach stopped needing to prick insulin, this last summer only 3 of Lantus and may even remain.I did not ate large amounts of hydrates but the 40 gr at each meal could eat.

Another curiosity is that simply in walking with some demand to lower my sugar.I can leave home in 150 and walk 20 min and see me in 80, at that time I take glucose, I do not expect to see how much I could go down, this having spent 3h from the fast injection.

These were my first 10 years, I guess good.Now change Apidra for Humalog Junior and Lantus skewed me 9 unds.At breakfast with 40gr of hydrates I click 1.5 unds, with a legume I do not click anything and with 350gr of potatoes me picnho 2 unds.

But the sensor appeared in my life.No doubt a total improvement, despite its imperfections.

But having the possibility to see the sugar every moment has made me obsess in it.If I inject insulin to eat I am the 2H pending mobile, it did not disconnect.With the sensor I see drops of 80 that in a few minutes would be 60 that without it I would not realize.I really do not understand how in the first 10 years without the sensor those possible hypos did not end in something serious.

I would be unable to live without a sensor, I think it would be too late when I realized a descent, because with an empty stomach before eating I notice when I am in 70, but a hiccMore difficult, the notary around 55 and it is not so easy for me to identify it.But I think, these situations had to live in the first 10 years without a sensor and nothing happened, such as.

I don't know, I wanted to know if this fear of a serious hypo, has foundation.I am scared to see me at eating and having injected insulin in 100, measuring at 5 min and seeing me in 80, taking quick glucose because in another 5 min I can be in 60 and another 5 in 40.

I have raised to have a quieter life to reduce carbohydrates to the point of not needing insulin or if they go out to walk so they will not need to prick me

Greetings!

Mespe's profile photo
Mespe
11/29/2022 1:30 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

@Mespe, if you are so good and so quiet so far, do not become obsessed with the sensor, even non -diabetics have 60 or less hypos and nothing happens.You have been noticing them for many years.
I, with that good control, would not change anything, you are perfect.Probably your pancreas still helps.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
11/29/2022 2:11 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Hello Mespe.
Do not worry, the "obsession" is normal at the beginning.The sensor gives a lot of information and we cannot avoid being pending.
But your experience shows that you have a good control.As Regina says, nothing happens to be 60 or less a while, the problem is that it is a chopped down and stay without glucose, which if it has not happened to you without a sensor will not happen to you.
You will also have proven that the sensor many times "exaggerates" 'in high and low values, which is not 100%reliable.And that has a delay of about 15/20 minutes, with what you have eaten and says 80, maybe you are already in 100, for example.
What is clear is that you should not be afraid of a fat hypo because with the sensor it will not happen to you, taking into account all these years.So calm and keep carrying that good control you carry.

isabelbota's profile photo
isabelbota
11/29/2022 7:50 a.m.

DM 2 con páncreas agotado desde diciembre 2020. 51 años entonces.
HG diciembre 2020: 15.9. Última HG: julio 2024 5.8
Abasaglar 9 unidades. Metformina, 1000/0/1000. Humalog junior: 2 unid en desayuno y luego en función de lo que coma.

They placed the sensor with my diagnosis, and I think that within the bad, the good has been to debut it can have it .... I do not know how you did it before!The number of times that this summer I have entered down with active insulin at the time and I have been able to remedy thanks to him !!I understand your obsession, at first I think it is inevitable to be controlling you from time to time ... I used it about 22 times daily and now 25 or 26 approx.To better control my changes in ratios or particularities ....
It is like a double -edged sword weapon, sometimes in positive and sometimes negative (like when it gives you false hypos).
But you are doing it super good @mespe, keep it up !!

Cassie's profile photo
Cassie
11/29/2022 10:31 a.m.

@Mespe: I have also lived a lot of years without a sensor and so traquila.Freestyle sometimes goes a bit crazy and that gives a little insecurity.I recommend the Diabox app that makes it an MCG.With this app you can check how you can be relatively stable in values ​​around 80 without falling into a hypo.

Ricki21's profile photo
Ricki21
11/29/2022 11:24 a.m.

DM1 desde 1982: Toujeo+Novorapid

@Mespe the sensor produces a certain addition to the beginning but passes, calm.I do not look at it, I lack 25% of data more or less.

Do not part with the hypos.It marks me and whistles for being in 39mg/dl and I do not notice anything and I am normal, because my reality is that I am between 70-85mg/dl.I pay little attention to the sensor.I can only attention to hyperglycemia, there it measures me well.
Anyway, it is seen that you still generate some insulin, so do not overwhelm you because your body regulates and will not have a severe hypo.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
11/29/2022 11:30 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Well really, the descents I speak are contrasted with capillary measurement, I mean, it is not a sensor.

My frustration comes from thinking, fuck is surely a privileged, I would like to have my glucose levels with the little dose of insulin that I need.But in turn that insulin sensitivity so great that I have to have to go very fine always in terms of the dose.Despite years with a very strict way of eating, in the sense that eating different dishes, the dishes are always equal in quantity and preparation, if as fillet potatoes are 350 gr of potatoes, always.Despite that the dose of insulin that I need varies, not only for change of station, now I am in 2nd, a week suddenly I can need 0.5 less or more, then return to before.And for many people that 0.5 will affect them nothing, but to me click 0.5 more means being one day at 2h in 130 and the next day eating the same thing to stay at 70 or 80.

The same when simply walking, that it is something incredible.Being in 130 has no fast insulin effect walk 30 min and starts going down, seeing me in 80 and thinking I have to walk 2 more hours I will take something to climb because otherwise it continues to go down.And I don't know why, I am slow?I do not believe it, I lift myself well in the morning and between meals it does not have an exaggerated effect.

I know that in this world I have been lucky so far, because I do very well.But he does not mean that sometimes I live situations that despair because I don't understand why they happen to me.Walking 30 min and going from 130 to 80 I do not understand, that 80 is very good, it would stay at 70 if I keep walking and I would not get out of there, but I prefer not to find out, I take something and go up and keep walking.It is so curious that I the same meal if I like it, I sulked me if I have been walking through the Sierra in the middle of the stoppage to eat and keep walking, I do not need to prick.

I don't know if someone happens to me.I guess my pancrear endures.

Mespe's profile photo
Mespe
11/29/2022 12:18 p.m.

@Mespe, diabetes is like that, correcting hypos and hyper many times.The strange thing is to be so stable.
Do not overwhelm you why, that the department sensor obsesses, then when you see that the results are still good, you already relax.
If you wake up well and you don't have hypos at night, the slow one is fine.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
11/29/2022 1:15 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

@Mespe Why don't you go to the endocrine?I don't know, the same with oral antidiabetics is enough in your case.I worked with a girl who was DT2 since the age of 8, not DT1.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
11/29/2022 1:23 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

@Mespe, this summer has happened to me many times when I had injected me with down (having heavy all the portions), above all I happened to me with the legumes (which have already told me here that the body does not assimilate them asHydrates;Below 100 and with the fright in the body, overact ... it also happens to me that however little the glycemia goes down quickly, without going any further from a few weeks I stayed at 105 and in 10 minutes I went down to 64(And the trend arrow was stable at all times) on the 10 -minute journey to go looking for my children to school .... I suppose this is sometimes so and you don't have to look for a reason.

Cassie's profile photo
Cassie
11/29/2022 3:28 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.