{'en': "Discovered the relationship between type 2 diabetes and Alzheimer's", 'es': 'Descubierta la relación entre diabetes tipo 2 y el Alzheimer'} Image

Discovered the relationship between type 2 diabetes and Alzheimer's

fer's profile photo   01/17/2023 10:40 a.m.

Researchers at the University of Cádiz and the University of Granada have discovered that diabetes favors soluble forms of beta amyloid, which are especially toxic and harmful to neuronal tissue.

The description of the beta amyloid peptide deposit process in the combined model of Alzheimer's disease and diabetes offers a new therapeutic target on which to work to slow or prevent the development of this dementia.This is one of the main ways to explore in the future.

In recent years, diabetes and prediabetes have been identified as a risk factor for dementia, but the mechanisms that mediate this relationship are not entirely known.This work clarifies one of the roads by which type 2 diabetes mellitus or its previous phase, prediabetes, contribute to cognitive deterioration and accelerate the progress of Alzheimer's disease.

Specifically, the study describes a new evolution of beta amyloid pathology in Alzheimer's patients who also suffer from prediabetes or diabetes type 2. The novelty of the results obtained is based on the detection of a different progression of the beta amyloid pathology when only suffersAlzheimer's disease and another evolution when suffering from this dementia attached to type 2 diabetes or prediabetes.In the combined model, there is a greater accumulation of the beta amyloid peptide at the vascular level, which is known as beta-amyloid angiopathy.

In addition, diabetes favors soluble forms of the beta amyloid peptide, the most toxic and harmful for neuronal tissue.This modification of beta-amyloid pathology increases oxidative stress at the neuronal and vascular level.All this facilitates the breakage of blood vessels at the brain level and enhances the typical neuronal death of Alzheimer's disease.

The investigation has been developed thanks to a sophisticated multifooting microscopy technique in live animal, which allows you to follow up on the same animal and a cerebral pathology over time."This reduces the number of animals necessary in the investigation, without a doubt a great advantage with respect to more rudimentary techniques, which triple the number of animals necessary to carry out an equivalent study," said UGR professor Juan José Ramos.

Multifooting microscopy 'in vivo' is a technique within the reach of few laboratories, capable of offering data and images that could not be achieved with other techniques."The next question we ask ourselves is: controlling the diabetic pathology, can we control or reduce the progression of beta-amyloid pathology and its consequences?" The expert has settled.

fer's profile photo
fer
01/17/2023 10:40 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

And the DM1, are we safe from Alzheimer's?

Ricki21's profile photo
Ricki21
01/17/2023 1:06 p.m.

DM1 desde 1982: Toujeo+Novorapid

There is a test that you can do to Pauto, 30 years old and they tell you if you are going to develop it.

Also with a brain scanner depending on how much bones are gathered, it is diagnosing in the elderly (my mother discarded like this, has senile dementia, now the name "cognitive losses") is more beautiful

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
01/17/2023 1:48 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

ricki21 said:
and dm1, we are safe from Alzheimer's?

Good question! ... For what the study explains, the relationship is in people who already have AlzheimerI would be affected.

fer's profile photo
fer
01/17/2023 2:20 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

One more reason to fight not to suffer from type 2 diabetes, I know how hard the Alzheimer's is.

joaquillo's profile photo
joaquillo
01/17/2023 6:07 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

It has been enough that Alzheimer's is called type 3 diabetes because it is like a kind of insulin resistance in the brain, the brain is not able to use glucose correctly in those cases and run out of energy.
That is why much improvement with ketogenic diet is seen, the brain can also use ketone bodies as energy and thus does not depend on glucose.In very advanced cases I no longer know if you see great improvement but if you catch it at first it seems that you can improve a lot.
In type 1 diabetes there is already insulin resistance, it is normal that there are more cases of Alzheimer's.Hence the importance of treating type 2 with low hydrates diet instead of putting only medication.With medication they are always worse and end with insulin that only worsens the problem.Because they have blood glucose if it is at the expense of a lot of blood insulin is not good and it can cause you problems.
In type 1 because we also have to be careful with our habits, we can have in addition to type 1 resistant to insulin and the same risks as a type 2. That is why I think it is also very important not to go from hydrates, exercise, etc..

Yessica_A's profile photo
Yessica_A
01/18/2023 12:57 p.m.

DM1 desde 2003 | Toujeo + Humalog | FreeStyle 2 | HbA1c 5.5

My educator told me that Alzheimer's in diabetics is closely linked to hypoglycemia, so it is very important to reduce them to the maximum we can.

Cassie's profile photo
Cassie
01/18/2023 3:11 p.m.

Yesssica_a said:
It has long for Alzheimer'sAnd they run out of energy.
That is why much improvement with ketogenic diet is seen, the brain can also use ketone bodies as energy and thus does not depend on glucose.In very advanced cases I no longer know if you see great improvement but if you catch it at first it seems that you can improve a lot.
In type 1 diabetes there is already insulin resistance, it is normal that there are more cases of Alzheimer's.Hence the importance of treating type 2 with low hydrates diet instead of putting only medication.With medication they are always worse and end with insulin that only worsens the problem.Because they have blood glucose if it is at the expense of a lot of blood insulin is not good and it can cause you problems.
In type 1 because we also have to be careful with our habits, we can have in addition to type 1 resistant to insulin and the same risks as a type 2. That is why I think it is also very important not to go from hydrates, exercise, etc..

I totally agree, you have to treat it with diet and exercise while you can, not with medication, is what I have been saying, even less medication in case of prediabetes, there are doctors who at least recipe pills in cases that are controlled or referred todiet and exercise, I myself prediabetes who have sent it little by little
Today at 6 in the afternoon Di 78.

joaquillo's profile photo
joaquillo
01/18/2023 10:30 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.