{'en': 'What is the right measure for needles?', 'es': '¿Cuál es la medida adecuada para las agujas?'} Image

What is the right measure for needles?

fer's profile photo   12/29/2022 11:04 p.m.

Insulin is administered in subcutaneous fat, avoiding injecting at the intradermal or muscular level, since it may be more painful or alter the absorption speed.

A syringe for insulin is a little thinner than normal syringes.This type of syringe has a fairly fine plastic tube and a small and fine needle to puncture.In general, the capacity of insulin syringes is 1 ml or less and are used only to administer insulin.

Insulin is administered in subcutaneous fat, avoiding injecting at the intradermal or muscular level, since it may be more painful or alter the absorption speed.To ensure adequate insulin puncture, several factors must be taken into account, including the choice of a suitable needle and thickness.

How to correctly choose the size of the needle

Less needle thickness entails less pain: the thickness of the needle is measured in gauges and is expressed with a G. The higher the number of G, the lower the thickness.The needles that hurt are the ones that have 31g and 32g thick.

Adapt the insulin needle to the thickness of the skin: skin thickness in adults varies between 2.0 and 2.5 mm, although it can range between 1.25 and 3.25 mm.However, children's skin is slightly thick than adults, children's subcutaneous fat is increasing thick in puberty, until it reaches adult levels.Therefore, it may be frequent that intramuscular injections occur in very thin and young people if long needles are used.Thus, the shortest needles that currently exist in the market (4 mm in length) correctly cross the skin of both children and adults.

Insulin absorption is identical, whether it is administered with a 4 mm or 8 mm needle.

The shortest needles are better tolerate, they are safer and less painful: recent studies have shown that the 4 mm needle is safe and effective in adult patients from all BMIs.With this needle length, the perpendicular puncture technique (90 degree angle) without pinch is recommended.

The needles should measure a maximum of 6 mm in length, since the needle recommended above 8 mm increases the risk of intramuscular puncture.

Currently, the shortest length for injection pen is 4 mm and that of syringe is 6 mm (because it must cross the insulin road cap).

fer's profile photo
fer
12/29/2022 11:04 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

The one that best goes to each one.I was happy with the 8mm, they changed it to 6mm and now to 5mm, and it will be coincidence, but I need more insulin rectifying.
They no longer distribute greater than 5mm in my health center.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
12/30/2022 9:48 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

From the first moment they have also given them 5mm, I mean that I can't think of the rest ....

Cassie's profile photo
Cassie
12/30/2022 1:49 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

ruthbia said:
the one that best goes to each one.I was happy with the 8mm, they changed it to 6mm and now to 5mm, and it will be coincidence, but I need more insulin rectifying.
They no longer distribute greater than 5mm in my health center.

Good I am also lada since 2015, they put me from the 6 mm pric, then they told me that since I am not obese and they had not changed it to 5.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
01/01/2023 7:11 p.m.

To me, weighing 50 kg they gave me 8 mm.Thanks to the forum where I read that they were not recommended, except for some cases, and almost everyone was less, when I renew them I asked for 5 mm and they are much better (they hurt less).

isabelbota's profile photo
isabelbota
01/01/2023 7:55 p.m.

DM 2 con páncreas agotado desde diciembre 2020. 51 años entonces.
HG diciembre 2020: 15.9. Última HG: julio 2024 5.8
Abasaglar 9 unidades. Metformina, 1000/0/1000. Humalog junior: 2 unid en desayuno y luego en función de lo que coma.

When I debuted and for 25 years they were always 8. The first ones, I remember, they seemed very thick.For 7 years I use them 4mm and I am delighted.
Sometimes I need heparin because I am anticoaulada (nothing to do with the DT1) and that is an ordeal

rosanriv's profile photo
rosanriv
01/02/2023 11:18 a.m.

Me 8 mm always, I remember when I started 32 years ago with the syringes with those long and thick needles, what pain

Rogerix's profile photo
Rogerix
01/02/2023 11:33 p.m.

In 1985 there were already insulin feathers

andrespmat's profile photo
andrespmat
01/03/2023 10:38 a.m.

I have been used for less than a year and I have only used the 5 mm.From time to time, a puncture is painful and I think it is when reusing forgotten the same needle.I am about to ask for the 4 mm and prove how they go.Among other things, what I have worse is to go to bed and get up every day with the punctures.

tollo's profile photo
tollo
01/03/2023 12:02 p.m.

DM1 Debut: Mayo 2022
FreeStyle Libre 2
Novorapid: 3ud desayuno + 3ud comida + 3ud cena.
Toujeo: 20 ud noche.
HbA1: Mayo22 11.6% Julio22 7.5% Sept22 6.5% Agost23 6.2%

In my case I use 4 mm before I used 6 mm, but I am very happy with the 4 mm and that I am of hard skin like crocodiles 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

andrespmat
01/03/2023 12:06 p.m.

Let's see if you are going to leave 😆😆😆😆😆

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
01/03/2023 1 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

@Ruthbia 🤣🤣🤗

andrespmat
01/03/2023 1:02 p.m.

tollo said:
I have less than a year and I have only used the 5 mm.From time to time, a puncture is painful and I think it is when reusing forgotten the same needle.I am about to ask for the 4 mm and prove how they go.Among other things, what I have worse is to go to bed and get up every day with the punctures.

What hurts is not the length 4.5 or 8, it depends on the site where you click and the thickness of the needle, the 5 mm are 32 g thick, I do not know if there will be more finite. Because of course the reusing them also influences

diabestico's profile photo
diabestico
01/03/2023 1:03 p.m.

The contribution on the lengths and needles is very good, but there is something that I don't know if it ignores, and it is the brand, I have twice to change the needles because the new brand that they intended to give me, used to hurt and theMost leave purple.
Unfortunately I have fish memory, for at least brands, I believe for the Internet photos that were click Fine.
The one that is luxurious is that of Vryfine of 6 and something less the one of 5.
After giving me a lot of things a neighbor, I have 4, 5, 6 and 8.de Vrayfine and BD ..
I am not going to look for disposables of the amount they gave me three months ago.

_Tacker_'s profile photo
_Tacker_
01/30/2023 3:54 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.