{'en': 'Arturo Carvajal, Objective: Coronar the 16 highest mountains in Spain', 'es': 'Arturo Carvajal, Ojetivo: coronar las 16 montañas más altas de España'} Image

Arturo Carvajal, Objective: Coronar the 16 highest mountains in Spain

fer's profile photo   01/24/2023 10:53 a.m.

And it is that this expedition, sponsored by the Spanish Society of Endocrinology and its echo, has given strength to this young physiotherapist to ascend the 16 highest peaks in Spain, practically one per community, throughout 2023.

In this new deed, it has the support of mountaineers from Aragon Barbastro (MAB) and hopes to get more accessions to its cause, from companies to diabetic associations.At the moment it already has the support of the Aragon office and the El Power Association of the Chandal, which has already shared the Adventure of Kilimanjaro.

The tops to be cried are: El Torreón (2,400 m) in Extremadura, Peña Trevinca (2,127) in Galicia, Blanca Torre (2,617) in the Picos de Europa, San Lorenzo (2,271) in La Rioja, Aketegi (1,551) in the countryVasco, Mesa de los Tres Reyes (2,446), in Navarra), Pica dCastilla León, Peñalara (2,428) in Madrid, Bishop (2.014) on the border of Murcia and Castilla La Mancha, Mulhacén (3,479) in Andalusia, El Teide (3,715) in the Canary Islands and Aneto (3,404) in Aragon, last peak that will ascend.

The adventure begins in the capital of Spain, where accompanied by other diabetics and friends, the Peñalara peak will rise to try to crown all the tops until July, with an average of two or three peaks per month until it reaches Aneto."In this way I will be able to give visibility to diabetes throughout Spain" and sensitize "about exercising you control diabetes very well," said this diabetic mountaineer.

To do this, he has created an Instagram account called high diabetes, and has contacted territorial associations to seek their complicity in their goal.“It is a way to help other people.I really were afraid to do sports for hypoglycemia problems, but you have to break that fear and enjoy what you like is the mountain, skate, or whatever.I encourage any sport to learn more about your diabetes and take it better, ”he explained.

In the ascents, it will combine the most common routes of the mountaineers with others of greater difficulty such as the aneto that is raised by the crowns or ascend the weather vane once the mulacén is crowned.

No Spanish diabetic is known that has undertaken a similar project, and for this, Arturo, who is 30 years old and suffers from type 1 immunological diabetes since 2019, is already prepared.

Despite this hard disease, so far it has not stopped practicing sports: cycling, running, hiking and, of course, mountaineering since it began in 2014, which is why it encourages all diabetics to enjoy with the sport.“Now we can control glycemia a lot and we have sensors to know the level of sugar we have.I have realized that I am getting the disease much better, ”he said.

fer's profile photo
fer
01/24/2023 10:53 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.