{'en': 'The treatment of diabetes in cats', 'es': 'El tratamiento de la diabetes en gatos'} Image

The treatment of diabetes in cats

fer's profile photo   01/24/2023 10:29 a.m.

When Mark Winternheimer's 12 -year -old cat was diagnosed with diabetes last year, the treatment was discouraging: insulin injections twice a day, an implanted monitor and frequent visits to the veterinarian.

Despite his scruples, Winternheimer and his wife, Courtnee, from New Albany, Indiana, learned to apply their injections to Oliver.

"For us, they are part of the family," Winternheimer said about Oliver and her other two cats, she and Theo."One would not deny medical attention to another family member if available."

Now, a new pill that is taken once a day promises to facilitate the treatment of feline diabetes in newly diagnosed animals, without injections.

"A pill is a big step forward from a needle," said Dr. Audrey Cook, a veterinarian of cats at the Texas A & Amp University; m.

But there is a warning: the pill, called Bexacat, cannot be used in cats like Oliver, which had previously received insulin.

The greatest benefit can be the ease of use, according to experts.While many cat owners successfully treat their cats with insulin twice a day, sometimes for years, others battle.

The studies show that the owners sacrifice one in 10 cats to which diabetes were recently diagnosed.Another 10% of cats are sacrificed within a year, partly due to treatment difficulties.

“Some people are afraid to inject them insulin.Some do not have time to take care of their cats, ”said Dr. Catharine Scott-Moncrieff, a veterinarian from the University of Purdue that consulted Bexacat manufacturers about product tests.

The Department of Health and Sciences of The Associated Press receives support from the group of scientific and educational media from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute.

fer's profile photo
fer
01/24/2023 10:29 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Well, he is funny, he had never heard that cats could develop diabetes, and since I am a diabetic I have two acquaintances that their cats have recently diagnosed them, by the way they are being done uphill to cope with it, they also have hypos and have toBeing pending because sensors do not carry.

Cassie's profile photo
Cassie
01/24/2023 12:29 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

If it's hard to carry in humans ... I don't want to imagine for cats!:(

fer's profile photo
fer
01/24/2023 1:27 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

And dogs !!!

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
01/24/2023 2:38 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

But type 1 or 2?

diabestico's profile photo
diabestico
01/24/2023 2:55 p.m.

I had a kitten that was diabetic.Every day in the morning we put his insulin.I ate a special feed.A couple of times he had hypoglycemia, who traced the gums with sugar (he was almost unconscious).She herself should know that what we were injected in the morning was good for her, because she saw us with the syringe and was placed so that we click her ... 4 and a half years we were like that, until her little body said enough (previously we had hadthan removing the two mammary chains by cancer tumor of the worst, with high probability of recurrence, luckily without pulmonary or liver affectation and shortly after starting with insulin, unable to give anything to avoid heat, a uterine infection, operation A Life A LifeOr death, he did not want to operate it because he said he had left in the operation, in the end we convinced him because it was operating or died the same, except, he left, he recovered phenomenal and lived four years and two more months after this operation ...).I still miss my Nelly, it was a little sky ...

cgs's profile photo
cgs
01/24/2023 10:09 p.m.

Diagnosticada de DM en enero de 2019, con tres generaciones (yo sería la cuarta) de diabéticos tipo 1 en la familia
En principio DM2 por resistencia a la insulina asociada a SOP (sin tener en cuenta los antecedentes familiares)
De momento, solo con Forxiga y Rybelsus (7mg) por la mañana
La glucosa hace lo que le da la gana
Ultimas Hemos: 7,2 (26/12/2023); 6,7 (12/2/2023, al mes de empezar con Rybelsus 3mg)
Última hemo: 6

diabetic said:
but type 1 or 2?

Well, I suppose they will have both.

isabelbota's profile photo
isabelbota
01/24/2023 11:02 p.m.

DM 2 con páncreas agotado desde diciembre 2020. 51 años entonces.
HG diciembre 2020: 15.9. Última HG: julio 2024 5.8
Abasaglar 9 unidades. Metformina, 1000/0/1000. Humalog junior: 2 unid en desayuno y luego en función de lo que coma.

I think it's only for cats with type 2 diabetes

Link

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
01/25/2023 12:45 a.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

My cat was diagnosed with dependent insulin diabetes 8 months ago .. we put the freestyle but it was damaged every 8 days ... finally an endocrinologist veterinarian taught us how to handle diabetes: we made glycemia curve every 15 days until we foundThe right dose and from now on we only take it once a month.It is perfect and we don't have to suck it every day.Take a food from Royal Cannin for diabetes and it's very good.

JulianaV's profile photo
JulianaV
06/24/2024 2:53 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.