{'en': 'Is it a failure to use insulin in people with type 2 diabetes?', 'es': '¿Es un fracaso usar insulina en personas con diabetes tipo 2?'} Image

Is it a failure to use insulin in people with type 2 diabetes?

fer's profile photo   02/07/2023 12:35 p.m.

In type 2 diabetes, treatment with pills is often insufficient, so it is usual to also introduce insulin injection.

For the patient this moment turns out to be conflictive, because it is perceived as a certain failure or worsening of their diabetes, which is why it tends to delay, often, more than necessary.

But ... what happens when the pills are no longer enough to control glucose?

Blood glucose levels begin to rise, with the consequent real worsening of health, in addition to the appearance of complications derived from a treatment that does not cover the real needs of the body.

For this reason, it is not a failure to use insulin in type 2 diabetes, it is a necessary evolution to maintain our controlled glucose levels.

You could say that insulin in our body works in two ways.

a) The insulin in bolus that is used to cover the amount of food that is going to consume mainly carbohydrates as well as to make glucose corrections that is, lower blood glucose when it is high.Know more about insulin for bowling, here.

b) The basal insulin that bears that name because it works as a base regardless of the foods consumed.Basal insulin is that our body requires to regulate all these glucose variations that have nothing to do with food but with hormonal, physiological, etc.The objective of this type of insulins is to regulate glucose

What are the basal insulins found in the market?

The objective of this type of insulins is to meet insulin requirements between meals, we can find them as follows:

Intermediate or NPH: Insulatard;NPH Humulin
Prolonged: Gliargine (Absaglar, Lantus, Toujeo);Deteminr (Levemir);Swallow (Tresiba)

Basal insulins have an action of 1 to 2 hours except the toujeo whose beginning is between 3 and 4 hours, they have a very light peak that is not considered except for the NPH whose maximum peak is at 4 to 48 hours after application and its duration ranges from 12 hours in the case of NPH until 42 hours in the case of Degludec insulin.

When will a doctor prescribe insulin use?

According to the care standards of the American Diabetes Association, doctors are recommended to consider basal insulin to people with type 2 diabetes when:

- There is a continuous weight loss.
- There are symptoms of hyperglycemia.
- When A1C levels are greater than 10% (86 mmol/mol).
- Blood glucose levels are very high (greater than 300 mg/dl).

However, if despite already administering basal insulin, the A1C remains above the objective, a doctor can prescribe insulin in bolus to complement with food intake.

How to use basal insulin?

The doctor will tell you which insulin as well as the amount of insulin you require.The dose is personalized and the dose of another person should not be used.For more information we share information about insulin injection methods as well as know how to apply insulin.

What are the risks and advantages of applying basal insulin?

The main risk when using insulin is hypoglycemia or low blood sugar is increased especially if the physical activities to which it is accustomed such as walking a little more or performing a more intense exercise or, apply more insulin is changedthan recommended.

However, this can be seen by the use of glucose monitoring to know the behavior of glucose throughout the day.Know more about hypoglycemia and how to prevent them if they happen.Otherrisk is omitting or not applying less insulin than the indicated one which leads to a blood glucose elevation

The advantage of the insulin application is to achieve a better handling of our glucose with a longer time in rank and the decrease in the presence of complications of diabetes.The disadvantage would be the injections that would be required to apply insulin.

Key points:
- Basal insulin is one that our body requires to regulate all these glucose variations that have nothing to do with food but with hormonal, physiological, etc.
- Your start time can vary from 1 to 4 hours.
- Its maximum action peak goes from 4 to 8 am or have a minimum action peak.
- Its duration ranges from 12 to 42 hours.

fer's profile photo
fer
02/07/2023 12:35 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Well, if you are type 2 and the pancreas does not produce insulin will have to put insulin ... (tell my case ...)
None failure, failure would be to die for not being able to put it on.
In fact, for type 2 there are countless treatments to insulin.I personally need insulin and it gives me peace of mind to wear something that the body secretes.I am more afraid of all innovative treatments, who squeeze pancreas, which eliminate gluose by urine ...
Let's see, I have no doubt that everything will be very studied, but that in the end put insulin is the closest thing to the normal functioning of the body.

isabelbota's profile photo
isabelbota
02/07/2023 12:42 p.m.

DM 2 con páncreas agotado desde diciembre 2020. 51 años entonces.
HG diciembre 2020: 15.9. Última HG: julio 2024 5.8
Abasaglar 9 unidades. Metformina, 1000/0/1000. Humalog junior: 2 unid en desayuno y luego en función de lo que coma.

It is difficult to comment on this because some factors influence.

I do not know if diabetes evolves yes or yes over time regardless of medication and controls.If this is so obviously there is no failure.

If one has had a bad luck of being already diagnosed with the pancreas very touched because it is not any failure.

Karl85's profile photo
Karl85
02/07/2023 2:45 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Using insulin is no failure, it is the most natural treatment.
And within diabetes 2, there will also be different types, but in many of them the pancreas continues to be exhausted and insulin becomes indispensable.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
02/08/2023 3:31 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Greetings to all from the Insular Colony of Puerto Rico.
He did not enter the forum since shortly before the pandemic and earthquakes that affected us.Since then dozens of events have happened.
Recapitulating, I am type 2 and when I started with the treatment, in 2018 for this same date, I was destined to inject myself.

It is clear that while time passes, the logical thing is that our organs are declining in function.However, is it possible to reduce or eliminate insulin dependence if the body still produces it naturally?Of course.It doesn't work for everyone but everyone should at least try.Change of life styles and exercise recurrent, consistent and moderate to intense intensity.
Not that they become elites, but what can they lose if they try?

I have been eliminating the dependence on insulin for 5 years, I have not even remotely approached the catastrophic values ​​of glucose that I had to have, and that hospitalized me:

A glucose that was in 400 and a glycosilada that was in 14

In three months I managed to control it to the point that reaches 5.4 from Glico, and glucose in 98

To this day, I have maintained values ​​within normal for a diabetic,
6 of Glico and 95-115.
I have maintained my weight in a controlled way.Thanks to sport.I am aware that I will eventually use insulin but, I will make it wait as much as I can.I have controlled my glucose to the point that even the metformin has decreased its use.
Deny the opportunity.
A lot of health to all.

DiegoA's profile photo
DiegoA
02/26/2023 11:19 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.