{'en': 'Diabetes and Covid: How does the vaccine help reduce the risk?', 'es': 'Diabetes y Covid: ¿Cómo la vacuna ayuda a reducir el riesgo?'} Image

Diabetes and Covid: How does the vaccine help reduce the risk?

fer's profile photo   02/16/2023 10:42 a.m.

A new study developed by researchers from the CEDARS-SINAI SMIDT Institute, in the United States, has confirmed that people who have infected with the virus have a higher risk of new appearance diabetes, the factor that contributes the mostcardiovascular diseases, as published in the journal 'Jama Network Open'.

"Our results verify that the risk of developing type 2 diabetes after a COVID-19 infection was not only an early observation but, in fact, a real risk that, unfortunately, has persisted during the omicron era," says the doctorAlan Kwan, first author of the study and cardiovascular doctor of the CEDARS-SINAI SMIDT HEART INSTITUTE.

According to Kwan, this trend is worrying because most Americans will end up contracting a Covid-19 infection."This research study helps us understand and prepare better for the era of cardiovascular risk after Covid-19 infection," says Kwan.

Type 2 diabetes and not vaccinated people of COVID

The results also suggest that the risk of type 2 diabetes seems less in people who were already vaccinated against COVID-19 at the time they were infected.

To determine the increase in diabetes rates, the researchers evaluated medical records of 23,709 adult patients who had at least one infection documented by COVID-19 and were treated in the Cedars-Sinai health system in Los Angeles between 2020 and 2022.The average patient was 47 years old, and 54% of the subjects were women.

Within the temporary framework of the study they discovered that the combined risk of type 2 diabetes after exposure to COVID-19 (taking into account both vaccinated patients and not vaccinated) was 2.1%, and 70% occurred after COVID-19 infection compared to 30% that occurred before exposure to virus.

In addition, the risk of type 2 diabetes after exposure to COVID-19 for unpacted patients was 2.7%, with 74% after COVID-19 infection compared to 26% before theExposure to COVID-19.The risk of type 2 diabetes after exposure to COVID-19 in vaccinated patients was 1.0%, with 51% after COVID-19 infection for 49% before exposure to COVID-19.

"These results suggest that vaccination with COVID-19 before infection can provide a protective effect on the risk of diabetes," explains Kwan.Against COVID-19 remains an important tool in protection against virus and the still uncertain risks that people can experience during the period after infection. "

Susan Cheng, main author of the study, Professor of Cardiology and Director of Cardiovascular Population in the Smidt Heart Institute, affirms that these findings expand medical knowledge about the effects of COVID-19 on the body and, at the same time, at the same time,They reveal issues still unanswered.

"Although we still do not know with certainty, the trends and patterns that we observe in the data suggest that COVID-19 infection could be acting in certain contexts such as an accelerator of the disease, amplifying the risk of a diagnosis that, otherwise, individuals could have received later in their life, "says Cheng, head of the Erika J. Glazer of Cardiovascular Health of Women and Population Sciences.

"Thus, it could be that instead of being diagnosed with diabetes at age 65, a person with pre-existing diabetes risk could-after an infection by COVID-19-have moreProbabilities of developing diabetes at 45 or 55, "he adds.

Diabetes alters normal metabolism and metabolic processes, preventing the pancreas from producing sufficient insulin, a hormone that helps regulate blood levels of glucose and amino acids.Since diabetes can damage vital organs and blood vessels, diabetic people run greater risk of myocardial infarctions and strokes.

This research, says Kwan, is a piece of the puzzle that will help researchers understand how to prevent in the future the risk of metabolic and cardiovascular diseases.

"As we learn to live with COVID-19, we also have to be prepared to recognize and treat the various conditions related to their sequelae," says Kwan. "Our ultimate goal is to find ways to keep healthy people and capable of dedicating themselves to dedicating themselves toto their daily activities and lives. "

fer's profile photo
fer
02/16/2023 10:42 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

And in the study, type 1 is not contemplated?I was vaccinated with the two doses and caught the covid and the sixth day I debuted with type 1. In fact I have another acquaintance to which the same thing happened ... the same thing ...

Cassie's profile photo
Cassie
02/16/2023 11:03 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

@Cassie, in other studies the COVID virus with type1 is also related.There are several viruses that trigger diabetes, my daughter was a Cosxackie.There has to be a genetic predisposition as well, because they are very common viruses that infect many people without leaving sequelae.
If they had vaccines for it, it would be avoided, many debuts in children would be avoided.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
02/17/2023 4:27 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Cassie said:
and in the study does not contemplate type 1?I was vaccinated with both doses and caught the covid and the sixth day I debuted it with type 1. In fact I have another acquaintance the same thing ...

I caught the Covid before there were vaccines and debuted a year later.As I am Lada, and considering that after the Covid I did not take anything, neither a sad virus nor bacteria or anything at all, I relate it to the Covid.My diabetes nurse told me that they had an alarming increase in debuts in children as soon as the Covid passes.

regina said:
@Cassie, in other studies the COVID virus with type1 is also related.There are several viruses that trigger diabetes, my daughter was a Cosxackie.There has to be a genetic predisposition as well, because they are very common viruses that infect many people without leaving sequelae.
If they had vaccines for it, it would be avoided, many debuts in children would be avoided.

Starting from the fact that vaccines do not prevent the transmission of the COVID, I do not see how the debut with vaccines will be avoided.

Ensalada's profile photo
Ensalada
02/17/2023 11:42 a.m.

LADA desde septiembre de 2021
Toujeo y Fiasp
Aprendiendo

@Ensalada because it is not the same infection with vaccines as without them, you see the study that @Fer published.The risk, with vaccines, is reduced by half.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
02/17/2023 3:28 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

regina said:
@salad because it is not the same infection with vaccines that without them, you see the study that @fer published.The risk, with vaccines, is reduced by half.

The risk of diabetes 2

Ensalada's profile photo
Ensalada
02/17/2023 11:14 p.m.

LADA desde septiembre de 2021
Toujeo y Fiasp
Aprendiendo

My case is just that, after the Covid debuted, I always poach it to that even if people told me no.Recently I had a strong constipated and the glucose of 190 was not lowered, I think the Covid was so strong (it was not vaccinated) that diabetes jump.Subsequently, as the article says, I would have jumped at 65 instead of 43

smartinez's profile photo
smartinez
02/22/2023 2:17 p.m.

Diabetes LADA desde febrero 2021
Última glico 6,1 el 23/11/23
Toujeo 10 ud

Hi @Fer or another person, do you know about some study on the Covid and debut with Celiaquía?

My son has been recently diagnosed with Celiquia, 1 year ago he was with Covid (he had only 1 of the 2 vaccines placed and then I have not vaccinated him)

Thank you

Vero83's profile photo
Vero83
03/13/2023 1:45 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.