{'en': 'They manage to transplant pancreatic islets to reverse diabetes (study)', 'es': 'Logran trasplantar islotes pancreáticos para revertir la diabetes (estudio)'} Image

They manage to transplant pancreatic islets to reverse diabetes (study)

fer's profile photo   03/13/2023 10:36 a.m.

A team of researchers has managed to transplant pancreatic islets, demonstrating that this method can reverse type I diabetes in non -human primates.

In people with type 1 diabetes, the body's immune system attacks and destroys ß insulin producers that control blood glucose levels and are part of a group of cells in the pancreas called pancreatic islets.

The pancreatic islet transplant is a promising treatment approach for type 1 diabetes;However, current methods, which imply the islet transplant to the liver, are ineffective and can cause the loss of up to half of the transplanted ß cells due to an immune attack.

In an investigation published in Cell Reports Medicine, a team led by researchers at the Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH), founding member of Mass General Brigham, recently developed an efficient form of transplanting pancreatic islets and showed that the method can effectively reverse the type diabetes type diabetes1 in non -human primates.

In addition to the mentioned challenges, the liver can only accommodate a limited volume of transplanted tissue.Scientists have wondered if an alternative site could provide a more hospitable environment and lead to better results.A promising site is the epiplón, the adipose tissue that begins in the stomach and covers the intestines.

To optimize the epiplón as a transplant site in an individual, the researchers used topical recombinant thrombin (which stops bleeding), an enzyme and the receiver's own plasma to design a biodegradable matrix by which the donor islets are immobilized in the epiplon.

When this strategy was used together with immunosuppressive therapy to protect the islets of the immune attack, the method normalized blood glucose levels and restored the secretion of glucose -sensitive insulin in three non -human primates with type 1 diabetes during the timeAnimals were tested.

"The achievement of the complete glycemic control is attributed to the bioengineering approach that facilitates the revascularization and reinervation process of the transplanted islets," says the first author Hong Ping Deng, MD, MSC, transplant surgery researcher in MGH."

"This preclinical study can inform the development of new strategies for the replacement of ß cells in diabetes and could change the current paradigm of clinical transplantation of pancreatic islets," says the corresponding author Senior Ji Lei, MD, MBA, MSC, medical researcher,Principal of Transplant Surgery at MGH and Assistant Professor of Surgery at Harvard Medicine Faculty."A clinical trial is being planned to test this approach."

Lei, who is also director of the CGMP center of the Special Human Cells/Islet Processing Service in MGH, points out that in addition to transplanting donor islets, researchers are also studying the wide potential application of the islet transplantation derived from stem cellwho cured a patient with type 1 diabetes for the first time in human history in 2022 and could offer an endless supply of transplantable tissue.However, there are concerns about this approach, including the possibility of tumor development.

Unlike the liver, the epiplón can be easily accessed for control purposes, and its non -vital site statdonorsIn addition, the omental site designed can house many other types of genetically modified cells,

Co -author James F. Markmann, MD, PHD, Head of the Transplant Surgery Division andDirector of Clinical Operations at the MGH Transplant Center, highlights that the study of non -human primates is a highly translational preclinical animal model."The application of this strategy, particularly in stem cell based therapy, has the potential to revolutionize the paradigm for the treatment of patients with type 1 diabetes," he says.

fer's profile photo
fer
03/13/2023 10:36 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

More than 30 years ago, he "cures" type 1 diabetes with beta cell transplants but with immunosuppression just like this case.And if it is not done for everyone, it is because they say that the remedy is worse than the disease.

What is the source of the news because it is full of sensationalism and half truths?

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
03/13/2023 10:56 a.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

If you have to be with immunosuppressants and with the side effects of these drugs, for that, I have as I am ...

meginer's profile photo
meginer
03/16/2023 10:15 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

I see it very green yet ..

Regina's profile photo
Regina
03/17/2023 1:09 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Puff .... Immunodepressants and their effects do not compensate for the transplant at all.I keep exogenous insulin.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
03/17/2023 10:25 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

They are starting to do it without immunosuppression.VERTEX and SERNOVA.Just this week VERTEX has announced that several clinical trials will begin without immunosuppression in Canada and the US.Sernova has already done it with several patients who have not used an exogenous insulin for some time.I think this will be a reality in 10 or 15 years ... the problem will be the price.
Now they are lowering the price of insulin in the US, so I think they will have to start taking the rooms to the rich Americans ...

Isi's profile photo
Isi
03/17/2023 2:40 p.m.

isi said:
are starting to do it without immunosuppression.VERTEX and SERNOVA.Just this week VERTEX has announced that several clinical trials will begin without immunosuppression in Canada and the US.Sernova has already done it with several patients who have not used an exogenous insulin for some time.I think this will be a reality in 10 or 15 years ... the problem will be the price.
Now they are lowering the price of insulin in the US, so I think they will have to start getting the rooms to the rich Americans ...

I think I will be using immunosuppression:
Link

"By Moving the Device from the Portal Vein in the Liver to the Stomach, Sernova You have addressed the inflammatory responsibility from the Blood. However, They have't yet been uble to prevent immune cells from Attacking donor islets. So People Who has presized thePouches so far have had to take anti-reference Drugs to Keep Them viable. "

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
03/17/2023 10:44 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

I think no: Link

Isi's profile photo
Isi
03/17/2023 11:45 p.m.

isi said:
I think no: Link

The 7 patients who have already been transplanted and some of them have reached insulin independence carry immunosuppression.As clearly explained in my link.

In the link that you put here, talk about future projects.That instead of general immunosuppression, it will use local immunosuppression:

"In addition, Sernova will evaluate local immune protection technology to protect non -modified beta cells and avoid the need for immunosuppressive treatment"

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
03/17/2023 11:59 p.m.

In the news they always do the same, they try to liar saying that they are investigating a cure without immunosuppression but then the successful results of the experiment with immunosuppression sneak.Seeing what they are the same but no.

I had already seen this in this type of news before I will debut, more than 25 years ago.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
03/18/2023 12:13 a.m.

Type 2 diabetes is relatively easy, Type 1, states more but would have to have the will and not look at the money, have been with studies for a long time and nothing never comes out

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
03/19/2023 10:40 a.m.

I do not have much faith to this of the transplants, and honestly although tomorrow I had this possibility, I think it would be afraid to get into something like that before the technique had a support of 10 or 15 years in medical practice.

Karl85's profile photo
Karl85
03/19/2023 2:13 p.m.

antonimar said:
Type 2 diabetes is cure relatively easy, type 1, it fits more but they would have to have the will of it and not look at the money, they have been with studies for a long time and nothing comes out and nothing comes out

I think it confuses the words reverse, reach optimal values ​​based on medication, diet and exercise for life, to cure that it would be to put aside all of the above.If you cure a cold you already leave the medication with diabetes no.

Joan111's profile photo
Joan111
04/11/2023 3:30 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.