{'en': 'The World Health Organization (WHO) advises the sweeteners', 'es': 'La Organización Mundial de la Salud (OMS) desaconseja los edulcorantes'} Image

The World Health Organization (WHO) advises the sweeteners

fer's profile photo   05/16/2023 3:11 p.m.

The World Health Organization (WHO) advises the sweeteners to control long -term weight, since they are not effective.In addition, the organization warns that they can have unwanted effects if used for a long time, such as the increased risk of type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular and mortality diseases in adults.

The new: although there was already evidence of the risks of the use of sweeteners, it is the first time that WHO advises to introduce it into the diet.

What has said the WHO on the use of sweeteners?

In general, says the organization, people must reduce the candy of their diet, and should do so from an early age to enjoy better health."Replace free sugars (refined and natives present in fruits, honey and others) by sweeteners does not offer any long -term benefit in terms of fat reduction in the body in adults or children," said the governing organization of thePublic health globally.

The important thing: among the specific products that are advised against are Acesulfamo K, aspartamo, advantame, cyclamates, neotame, saccharin, sucralose, as well as the stevia and its derivatives.

The WHO also pointed out that this new recommendation includes synthetic, natural or modified sweeteners, "that are not classified as sugars found in industrial foods and foods" or that they are sold separately to be added by the consumer.

The recommendation does not apply to personal care or hygiene products that may contain them, such as toothpastes, skin creams or medications.

What does WHO recommend to improve the diet?

«People need to consider other ways to reduce the consumption of free sugars, such as consuming foods that naturally contain sugars, such as fruits;o Foods and drinks that are not sweet, ”said WHO nutrition and food safety director Francesco Branca.

Thus affects you: This recommendation of WHO and sweeteners applies to all people, except those with pre -existing diabetes.

On the other hand, the organization clarified that its position in relation to sweeteners does not apply to personal care or hygiene products that may contain them, such as toothpastes, skin creams or medications.

Nor does it imply low sugar or sugar alcohols, since they are derived from sugar and contain calories, so they are not considered sweeteners.

Scientific evidence after WHO's decision on sweeteners

WHO, after issuing its statement on sweeteners, ensures that this set of recommendations is based on the conclusions of the review of scientific evidence and that quality diets reduce the risk of chronic diseases.

What do experts say: as we tell you on Newtral.es, scientific evidence suggests that sweeteners are not a healthy alternative to sugar, although there is also no evidence that they are 'worse' that sugar, which has negative impacts on healthlong known.Technically, sweeteners (natural or artificial) are not insecure.But healthy, healthy, either.

Stanley Hazen, the lead author of one of the last studies on Eritrol, explained that it is important to "conduct more security studies to examine the long -term effects of artificial sweeteners in general."

Ana Belén Ropero Lara, Professor of Nutrition and Bromatology (Miguel Hernández University, Badali Project), explains that «in general, consumers have a negative perception of sweeteners, especially intensive.It is not surprising. ”
The latter with Marta Beltrá García-Calvo and Fernando Borrás explain in an article in The Conversation, which the sweeteners(Not only erythritol) have been related to hypertension, type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease.Also with metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance and modifications in intestinal microbiota.

fer's profile photo
fer
05/16/2023 3:11 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Serafín Murillo has just uploaded a reels on the news.He says that in the WHO report the diabetics of these recommendations are excluded (although the sweeteners are not good for anyone), and that they speak of sweeteners but not of the polyalcohols.

I would like to be able to sweeten my desserts with dates and other sugars of natural origin but that will cause me hyperglycemia and, honestly, if it is for occasional consumption I do not believe that the sweetener is the worst option.Like everything in life: we must not abuse.

marge_bouvier's profile photo
marge_bouvier
05/16/2023 4:18 p.m.

DT1 desde mayo 2023 🍭
Hipotiroidismo subclínico, normopeso, 33 años
Toujeo + Novorapid 🖊️🖍️

I don't understand why diabetics exclude

Can anyone give a reason?Why are we already screwed and worse aren't we going to be?
Or why is there not enough evidence because relationships are weak?

PepGat's profile photo
PepGat
05/17/2023 9:20 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

pepgat said:

Can anyone give a reason?Why are we already screwed and worse aren't we going to be?
Or because there is not enough evidence because relationships are weak?

I think the issue is that the sweet taste, even if it is not sugar, also stimulates the pancreas to produce insulin.So, as our pancreas is fucked (diabetes 1) we don't have that effect.

Ensalada's profile photo
Ensalada
05/17/2023 10:33 a.m.

LADA desde septiembre de 2021
Toujeo y Fiasp
Aprendiendo

salad said:
pepgat said:

Or because there is not enough evidence because relationships are weak?

I think the issue is that the sweet taste, even if it is not sugar, also stimulates the pancreas to produce insulin.So, as our pancreas is fucking (diabetes 1) we don't have that effect.

I understand, although they cite other effects beyond metabolic

But in the DM2 among which I am not medicating (for the moment) and in which it is assumed that there are functional pancreas to a greater or lesser extent?

PepGat's profile photo
PepGat
05/17/2023 11:08 a.m.

For for you, the DM2 understand that it is equally bad as for the healthy.If you stimulate a pancreas that the poor already overloaded by insulin resistance, we are going.
The other effects are on the microbiota, which I also suppose it affects everyone, producing inflammation in the intestine.

Ensalada's profile photo
Ensalada
05/17/2023 11:51 a.m.

LADA desde septiembre de 2021
Toujeo y Fiasp
Aprendiendo

I think it excludes diabetics because it is worse that we sweeten with sugar.., What does not fit me much is that I include the stevia as well.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
05/17/2023 1:49 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

The WHO is already evidenced in the pandemic and is of public domain that behind the salaries they charge are the pharmaceutical and other lobys, so their reports must be taken with tweezers and looking at what interests there may be behind

diabestico's profile photo
diabestico
05/17/2023 3:37 p.m.

It makes no sense that the sweet taste stimulates the pancreas, because in that case we would have hypoglycemia.If I drink 1 gram of sweetener the coffee gets sweet, but being a gram, at most would climb 5mg/dl.If for a rise of 5 mg/dl that is nothing, the pancreas starts to secrete insulin we would end up in Hippo.
My pancreas still works a bit and does not react to the sweetener, I have proven that.
Another reason they have given is that the sweetener does not lose weight ...
Obviously, nothing slimers, just not eating.But the person who drinks for example, two cans of Coca Cola a day, if it changes them for zero that loses weight.Calorie reduction = weight reduction.
Another thing is that sweeteners not being natural are not good.I don't say no.But neither Coca Cola, nor the protein bread, nor snacks, nor certain prepared meals ... nor a thousand things that all from time to time take.
Try to eat as healthy as possible but healthy is very very difficult.

isabelbota's profile photo
isabelbota
05/17/2023 9:08 p.m.

DM 2 con páncreas agotado desde diciembre 2020. 51 años entonces.
HG diciembre 2020: 15.9. Última HG: julio 2024 5.8
Abasaglar 9 unidades. Metformina, 1000/0/1000. Humalog junior: 2 unid en desayuno y luego en función de lo que coma.

salad said:
For you, the DM2 I understand that it is equally bad as for the healthy.If you stimulate a pancreas that the poor already overloaded by insulin resistance, we are going.
The other effects are on the microbiota, which I also suppose affects everyone, producing inflammation in the intestine.

The sweeteners affect the microbiota, but they say that the fruit of monk is the only one that does not harm.

matrix's profile photo
matrix
05/19/2023 5:04 a.m.

Desde México. DB2. Metformina c/ 12hrs. No insulina. HCG22/02/21: 9.0. HCG 18/04/21: 7.4

regina said:
I think it excludes the diabetics because worse will be that we sweeten with sugar.., What does not fit much is that I include the stevia too.

I've already seen several places that it is better to avoid stevia and use monk fruit ...

matrix's profile photo
matrix
05/19/2023 5:05 a.m.

Desde México. DB2. Metformina c/ 12hrs. No insulina. HCG22/02/21: 9.0. HCG 18/04/21: 7.4

If you have the WHO you have to do .... otherwise

AnibalJ's profile photo
AnibalJ
05/22/2023 5:27 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.