New in this

carmeengn31's profile photo   05/22/2023 8:28 p.m.

Hello, I have been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 3 weeks ago, it still does not control it well since they told me that I was in a kind of honeymoon that some doctors/ nurses affirm me and others denied me.I have already started with both basal and a quick fixed insulin since there is still no rations or anything.
I have quite high glucose and I still do not believe that I really have diabetes and for a lifetime, I am very distressed to be able to leave my friends etc.
Apart I smoke that it is another challenge because they have told me that I have to stop already.
If someone has advice, the truth would make me great.
Greetings.

carmeengn31's profile photo
carmeengn31
05/22/2023 8:28 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hi @carmeengn31.It is normal that you are scared.At the beginning it is overwhelming, blood glucose seems uncontrollable, you feel that it is slavery to be all day pending insulin, meals, climbing, lows ...
You will be able to go out with your friends, you will be able to exercise, you will be able to eat things that you like.
You will not have a normal life because diabetes is there, but you will have a good life.
You have a lot of work ahead.You have to learn to identify food hydrates and experience how they act in your body.You will also have to change your routines and incorporate new habits, such as exercise.It is not easy, but it is not impossible either.This forum will offer you a lot of information and moral support from people who have the same condition.
You won't feel alone.
Start with these YouTube disseminators, its content is reliable and very quality
Link
Link
And with this guide you will learn to count rations
Link
You will ask us more concrete things.
Welcome!

Ensalada's profile photo
Ensalada
05/22/2023 10:14 p.m.

LADA desde septiembre de 2021
Toujeo y Fiasp
Aprendiendo

@carmeengn31: welcome to the forum.My advice is that you go to the Diabetics Association that you have closer.There they can give you a lot of information.You should also contact the nurse of your health center to clarify the doubts you have

Ricki21's profile photo
Ricki21
05/23/2023 9:36 a.m.

DM1 desde 1982: Toujeo+Novorapid

Hello.
As type I diabetic for 36 years, I would like to give you some orientations.

- Of course it is not precisely a luck that you diagnose type I diabetes, but it is to put the sensors.As a Dexcom user for 9 years, I would tell you that they have changed my life.Put on a sensor as soon as possible and learn to use them, everything will be easier for you.But be patient, things take time to learn.

- Learn as soon as possible to modify your insulin dose based on your level of blood glucose and food.The sooner you know how to control your blood glucose before you will normalize your life.Well, a new normality.Learn to count rations.Download the tables online, and then make your own.30 years ago they said, and they continue to say, although not so many, that you have to take rapid absorption carbohydrates (bread, pasta, rice ...) normally.My personal experience, and that of increasingly diabetics type I, is that the less bread -type hydrates, paste, rice, less rapid insulin you need, and therefore you have less irrigation of glucose increases and declines.I have taken 30 years to take the bread, because I love it, but since I have done it, I have less up and down after meals.My diet is balanced and that's why half of my insulin dose was taken by bread.If you learn to count rations you can calculate it yourself.

- Look for a way of exercising at home when you are a little high.It is always faster and easier to lower the glucose walking on the tape, pedaling static or climbing and lowering the stairs of the building than to be putting insulin.Eye, if you are too high, physical exercise should not be done, you must first insulin.If you go out of exercise, it will come down too much.You also learn.

- Contact an association of diabetics and participate in activities.You will be much faster.Do not trust professionals who do not have specialized and practical training.If the nurse or the doctor do not have specific training they will not guide you well.

- Routine is your best ally.That does not mean that you cannot do almost everything, but you should avoid large variations in your sleep and food schedules.Insulin sensitivity changes significantly according to the time of day.If you eat before 14:30 you need much less insulin than if you eat from 15:00.If you have breakfast later, you need less insulin than if you have breakfast soon, but you also have more risk of getting up.This is so for the so -called circadian cycles of the organism.Insulin sensitivity changes throughout the day.If for a meal at 14:00 you need 4 fast units, for the same meal you may need 6 units if you eat at 4:00 p.m.You will learn it with practice.

- If you are constant and a little sacrificed you will not develop complications as a result of bad glycemic control.Before it was extremely difficult, but now, with the sensors it is much easier.It is very psychologically heavy to be aware of the things of day to day and diabetes at the same time, but it is very important to keep your head furnished and not throw in the towel.

- When you have sugar drops, use rapid absorption hydrates.Avoid Madalens, cookies, buns ... take long to climb and they easily put you in a roller coaster of ups and downs.I recommend you carrying 125 ml squeezed juice (Don Simón has them, even if it is bad to say it).The "squeezed" juice is the highest quality, then there is the one that "comes from concentrate" and then the nectar, which half is water.125 ml is a good amount to trace hypoglycemia without passing, depending on how you are low, the amount of insulin you have put on ...

Take care of yourself.

Gonz's profile photo
Gonz
05/28/2023 4:50 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.